Add-on Converter for phpBB

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Lookat2

Add-on Converter for phpBB

Post by Lookat2 »

Hello to all members,
It's my first time at here, actually I am also a user of phpBB forum and here http://forums.mozillazine.org/ also used the phpBB software, that means both are related to each other than why their Add-on's can't related to each other.
Here, I comes for getting directions to make available some/all Add-on's of mozilla firefox to work well with phpBB too.
So, please give me the direction that this issue may got resolved as like for seamonkey ...

Thanks
trolly

Re: Add-on Converter for phpBB

Post by trolly »

Firefox addons are absolutely unrelated to phpbb addons.
phpbb addons are executed on the server side while firefox addons are executed on the client side.

You should describe which problem you really have.
BTW Many firefox addons work also in Seamonkey.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Lookat2

Post by Lookat2 »

Hello trolly,
trolly wrote:Firefox addons are absolutely unrelated to phpbb addons.
phpbb addons are executed on the server side while firefox addons are executed on the client side.
You should describe which problem you really have.
Exactly, I am agree with you that phpbb addons are executed on the server side while firefox addons are executed on the client side. Here I am comes to discuss that how can we make a client side script to work well with server side script either by modifying/codes to added or codes to be removed; just keep the functional codes and change the script .....
For example, Firefox Parivartan addon: As in .jpmignore

Code: Select all

.*
!/lib/main.js
!/lib/myModule.js
!/data/myTables.json
!/package.json
!/bootstrap.js
!/install.rdf
Just remove :

!/package.json
!/bootstrap.js
!/install.rdf
use these functional codes with modifications:

!/lib/main.js
!/lib/myModule.js
!/data/myTables.json
Finally, I am here to discuss about the the modifications either addition/deletion of codes to make it work on server side script...

I hope through this we can easily convert a client side script into a server side script!
If, I am correct then we have to talk on functional modifications...
Thanks
trolly

Post by trolly »

Client side scripts does not have any knowledge about what happens on the server side and there is absolutely no way a client side script can modify a server side script - unless you are explicitly allowed to do that (usually because you are the forum owner or a forum admin).
The information which files are included during page generation is not available on the client side.
So this discussion is rather pointless or I miss an important point.

If you want to convert the "Firefox Parivartan addon" into a phpbb script for example you have to have access to the forum software (which you usually do not have). If you have that access you may check this code as example.

BTW if I understand things correctly PHPBB is written in PHP while Firefox addons are written in JavaScirpt (aka ECMAScript) which are not source compatible.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Lookat2

Post by Lookat2 »

Hello trolly,
trolly wrote:I understand things correctly PHPBB is written in PHP while Firefox addons are written in JavaScirpt (aka ECMAScript) which are not source compatible.
I have completed 3/4th work for making an extension through this, now remaining 1/4th work depends on words converter i.e. which words is converted by which one. I know well that PHPBB is written in PHP while Firefox addons are written in JavaScirpt and I am trying to develop this in PHP also.

Thanks for reply and for support!
trolly

Post by trolly »

The link I gave above (click here) uses the Google Translator for that. Maybe you can "reuse" that code.