Make Saved Bookmarks Render Like Internet Explorer

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
DPW49

Make Saved Bookmarks Render Like Internet Explorer

Post by DPW49 »

Hi,
I still enjoy using the firefox browser..I'm currently using version # 48.0b7 (latest beta version), I really wish there was some way for saved bookmarks folder to resemble the favorites folder in both internet explorer and now the new edge browser. When using firefox bookmarks, it doesn't 'remember' the last site visited in bookmarks like internet explorer and edge browser does. In firefox you have to 'start over' everytime you open the bookmarks folder.
Thanks,
David :cry:
LIMPET235

Re: Make Saved Bookmarks Render Like Internet Explorer

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the Builds Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

I'm just glad someone took the time to read my post..now if I can just get a answer.
David
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

In the "Library" (Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks) you can sort bookmarks by most recent visit. It should also be possible to write an add-on that gives you easier access to a list of bookmarks sorted that way.
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi dao-g,
Thanks so much for a reply...at least for me I prefer the method of how bookmarks are displayed/rendered while using internet explorer..that is when you click on the bookmark button it 'remembers' the site you are currently on. To me it's so much more efficient that way instead of how firefox treats bookmarks, when you click on the bookmark button you always have to start anew. I hope this makes sense..surely there is some extension or bit of code / software to accomplish this.
David
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Probably more appropriate in the Extension Dev forum.
Moving it there.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Don't use bookmarks to go back, Firefox has more efficient ways to do that. If you expect to go back, just keep the page open, open the new page in a new tab - you can jump back and forth instantly.

If you didn't do that, you can use Firefox's lightning-fast back and forward buttons to go back - up to two steps is very quick. To go back further, open History, the most recent pages are displayed by default, or select "show all history", which opens the Library, where you can go back as far as you want. Bookmarks and History are unified in one database (Places) in Firefox, this is what the Library accesses.

The way IE does it isn't more efficient, just different, and it's what you're used to. Try learning to use the features in Firefox, you might discover they're as efficient or more efficient.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 126.0b2, Nightly 127.0a1.
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi greenknight,
To be honest..Ive always enjoyed using firefox more than internet explorer, I guess I was hoping for something that just isn't available with firefox. I will say that is one feature I do in fact like with IE, how the bookmarks/favorites are rendered.
Thanks,
David
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Likely that Firefox could be modified to do that, but no extension for it exists AFAICT.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 126.0b2, Nightly 127.0a1.
Vano

Post by Vano »

For those who don't use IE or Edge, can you explain exactly what do you mean by "rendered"?

From what I could gather from your posts you want the bookmarks automatically sort by last visited?
Zeokat

Post by Zeokat »

Vano wrote:For those who don't use IE or Edge, can you explain exactly what do you mean by "rendered"?

From what I could gather from your posts you want the bookmarks automatically sort by last visited?
I have the same question, what means that "rendered" :roll:
When tecnlogy meets dreams
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi Zeokat,
What an interesting username..I guess I could have used somewhat of a different word for describing what I was looking for as a end result. I internet explorer and now the newer edge browser..when you click on the 'favorites' star (in internet explorer) or (the stacked line's _ in edge), the browser has remembered the most recent bookmark/favorite opened..at least for me that's a nice feature.
David
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

In the Stay-Open Menu topic, you seemed to indicate that you'd be happy with using the sidebar, if only it would automatically close. Would you be interested in an extension to do that? I could create a simple one if you'd be willing to test & report any bugs, or you might like OmniSidebar which has an option to automatically close. (It also has many other features - a plus or a minus depending on whether you'd actually use them.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

In the Bookmarks Sidebar - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -retainer/ - retains the scroll position throughout the session. Open and close the sidebar as often as you like and it will remember where you last left it.

As far as the 3 other places that you can view your bookmarks in Firefox, I have never seen a "scroll position retainer" add-on, but I have never searched AMO for one like that.

Those "3 three other places" being: Library - Menu Bar Bookmarks drop-down - Star/Clipboard button drop-down
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.