Extension testing in FF48+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Vano

Re: Extension testing in FF48+

Post by Vano »

WLS wrote:Did you install them after restarting Firefox, or just use your current profile? I created a new profile.

Which extensions? I'd be happy to test that here on my system.
No, I installed "unbranded" version as my primary browser, overwritten release version 48, using primary profile.
And didn't not try enable and disable xpinstall.signatures.required

I have quiet a few extensions that I modified for my personal needs and I'm not going to submit them to mozilla for signing, so now I'm forced to use developer build (hopefully without any debuggers and such enabled that would degrees the performance) or stick with previous version leaving the computer vulnerable without the updates.

P.S. that unbranded is actually nightly that is tight up to release channel instead of nightly??? The icon is nightly's blue globe and in about it says nightly...

[EDIT]
Installed x64 version as separate browser, now unsigned extension work.
therube

Post by therube »

that unbranded is actually nightly
I noticed that also.
Another gotcha is that you can't have both "unsigned" & "EME-free" (as in there is not a single build with both features), sigh.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Have looked at the "unbranded" FF48 and compared it to the release FF48 by inspecting the innards of the bundles on Mac. From what I can see in the areas I checked they are identical. Also from the Wiki:
Add-ons/Extension Signing - Wiki wrote:How will the unbranded versions of Firefox work?

They work just like Firefox, with two differences: they will have a setting to disable mandatory signature checks, and they will not have the Firefox name and logo (instead using a generic name and logo). These builds are available in the en-US locale only.
Actually I also found a number of other things removed from the "unbranded" version. The major thing stripped was much of the XUL libraries.

The "unbranded" FF48 for Mac has a creation epoch of 1469873725 which is Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:15:25 GMT. The nightly builds created at that time were firefox-50.0a1.

So unless a knowledgeable person has some specific information to the contrary, my conclusion is that "unbranded" FF48 and release FF48 are the same other than what has been stripped out of the "unbranded" version and some icon changes. Have no idea why they used the nightly icons and don't really care.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6