multi-line (custom) column in SeaMonkey mailnews?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
johnduncan

multi-line (custom) column in SeaMonkey mailnews?

Post by johnduncan »

Hello all. I was wondering if it was possible to create a custom multi-line column for SeaMonkey's mailnews (or if it is possible to collapse the existing Subject/From/Date columns into one compact column a-la-outlook). My extension styles the mailnews columns to 48x48 (for X-Face/Face/Gravatar/etc.) support, and would really like it if I could push all the relevant header info into one column. Here is a picture of what I currently have (notice all of the wasted vertical space):

smsmith

Re: multi-line (custom) column in SeaMonkey mailnews?

Post by smsmith »

You'd have to combine the contents of all the other columns you are interested in showing and put them in a new column you create. Then you would have to switch off all the other columns except your avatar column and the combined column.

Unfortunately, there would be no way of making the combined column use more than one line. This is a limitation of XUL and doesn't look like it will ever be implemented. See this bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=441414
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
johnduncan

Re: multi-line (custom) column in SeaMonkey mailnews?

Post by johnduncan »

I did end up creating a new custom column and trying to use the '\n' escape sequence, but to no avail. Thanks for the info.