Manual extension installation for multi-user systems

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Norvell

Manual extension installation for multi-user systems

Post by Norvell »

I've had very limited success with installing extensions as root on a GNU/Linux system so that the extensions will be available to all users. They'll either be available to root only, or phoenix won't run at all for normal users. Attempting to install many extensions as a normal user fails because of permissions while other extensions seem to install fine (since they go to the respective user's ~ directory as opposed to phoenix's working directory.

Is there a way to manually install extensions as root by downloading the necessary files with wget or curl, unpacking them in the right place, and updating the relevant configuration file(s)? All apologies in advance if this has already been covered in a previous post (I saw nothing apparently relevant in the subject lines of existing posts). Thanks very much.
johann_p

wrong forum

Post by johann_p »

Norvell wrote:... or phoenix ...

This is a Mozilla forum, go to a phoenix forum.
Norvell

All apologies

Post by Norvell »

I sincerely beg your and the forum's forgiveness. My latest milestone of phoenix (0.5) comes with a button labeled ``Phoenix Discussions.'' I clicked this button but must have made a mistake somewhere along the way. I'll be more careful in the future.
JohnDough

hold on!

Post by JohnDough »

I just tried installing the autoscroll extension in Linux, and it only installed in Mozilla and Phoenix as root, and only worked in Phoenix as root. When I was at work today, I downloaded it in Windows and it worked fine in Moz 1.2, which is the same version I'm running at home in Linux.

How do you get Mozilla extensions installed? I went through the whole "install as root" procedure.
johann_p

strange design

Post by johann_p »

IMO the whole extension and theming mechanism is a bit strangely designed: obviously it is
difficult to impossble to install extensions into a personal profile and it is equally hard to install
themes into the mozilla installdir. Both would make sense in many situations: many extensions are
used on a user-by-user basis and each user, e.g. on a linux shared computer, might have his/her
own preferences as to what extensions to use. In addition to force installation as root might
introduce additional security risks and definitely needs additional trust.

On the other hand, a company might want to preinstall a selection of themes for their users instead
of having each one of them install themes in their profile - multiplying the necessary spame and
bandwidth. For this it would be good to be able to install themes in the Mozilla installlation directory.

Unfortunately the broken design of these things does seem to make it hard to provide these features.
JohnDough

ummm...

Post by JohnDough »

Does this mean there's no way of fixing my problem so I can use the autoscroll extension on my linux box without running my browser as root?