Manual extension installation for multi-user systems

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Norvell

Manual extension installation for multi-user systems

Post by Norvell »

I've had very limited success with installing extensions as root on a GNU/Linux system so that the extensions will be available to all users. They'll either be available to root only, or phoenix won't run at all for normal users. Attempting to install many extensions as a normal user fails because of permissions while other extensions seem to install fine (since they go to the respective user's ~ directory as opposed to phoenix's working directory).

Is there a way to manually install extensions as root by downloading the necessary files with wget or curl, unpacking them in the right place, and updating the relevant configuration file(s)? All apologies in advance if this has already been covered in a previous post (I saw nothing apparently relevant in the subject lines of existing posts). Thanks very much.
jaon

Post by jaon »

Yeah, does anyone know how to do this?
I am having problems installing the mouse gestures extension, so can someone please find out and tell us?
Simon Kellett

Re: Manual extension installation for multi-user systems

Post by Simon Kellett »

Norvell wrote:...as a normal user fails because of permissions while other extensions seem to install fine (since they go to the respective user's ~ directory as opposed to phoenix's working directory).

I had this problem too: you just need to install as root, find the offending file and manually correct its permissions (I think adding world read is enough). Then log on as a normal user and it should work.

(I am not sure if the (incorrect) permissions are set by Phoenix or by the Extensions author: so I do not know who the bug should go to :-)

Regards, Simon
Norvell

Post by Norvell »

Simon Kellett wrote:I had this problem too: you just need to install as root, find the offending file and manually correct its permissions (I think adding world read is enough). Then log on as a normal user and it should work.

(I am not sure if the (incorrect) permissions are set by Phoenix or by the Extensions author: so I do not know who the bug should go to :-)

Regards, Simon

Thanks. I already tried this method, but I may have missed one or two offending files so I'll try it again.
lar3ry

Post by lar3ry »

Norvell wrote:
Simon Kellett wrote:I had this problem too: you just need to install as root, find the offending file and manually correct its permissions (I think adding world read is enough). Then log on as a normal user and it should work.

Regards, Simon

Thanks. I already tried this method, but I may have missed one or two offending files so I'll try it again.

Here's a simple way to fix permissions:

(As root):

# cd /usr/lib/mozilla (or wherever mozilla/phoenix is installed)
# chmod -R a+rX .
#

Voila. Everything is now readable by everyone. In addition, any file with an executable bit set will be executable by everyboddy.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson