New Extension: Restart Firefox

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Lost User 162649

Post by Lost User 162649 »

..but the meaning of the extension is to do it fast...so i dont't think that asking about multiple tabs is something that has to be added...
Not to mention that you can always check in the confirmation pop up...:)
johann_p

Re: New Extension: Restart Firefox

Post by johann_p »

jedbro wrote:
I tried to install this with the latest nightly on Linux (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050914 Firefox/1.6a1) and it refused claiming it is not compatible?

Hmm... what is the extension version set out on the trunk? 1.6?

I *think* it is 1.6+. I just thought that "greater 1.5beta" would mean 1.6+ and 1.6 too :)
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

I think it is 1.6a1
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Yes sorry, extensions.lastAppVersion is 1.6a1
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Yeah, 1.6 is it :D.
I've just updated 0.3.1 and the 0.4beta2 (warning, the settings menu isn't fully working) so that they work with the trunk (1.6a).

Cheers
-Jed
Recall

Post by Recall »

May I make a suggestion? Include some of tabmix plus code that allows the last session to be restored? Would go hand in hand with this extension imo.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
doh

Post by doh »

Recall wrote:May I make a suggestion? Include some of tabmix plus code that allows the last session to be restored? Would go hand in hand with this extension imo.

SessionSaver
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Recall wrote:May I make a suggestion? Include some of tabmix plus code that allows the last session to be restored? Would go hand in hand with this extension imo.

While I would agree with you, that would be reinventing the wheel as you already have tabmix plus, or even better, SessionSaver.
Unless someone could give me a valid reason to implement it as well, I would have to say SessionSaveris a much better alternative, and probably better than anything I could code is a reasonable amount of time.

Sort of offtopic: But Mr. E has jumped on board as an Author on this extension, so the next version will be very nice as it will incorporate some of the missing features from his extension.

-Jed
Duke D

Post by Duke D »

Erhmm sorry to ask again but did u see my question where i asked if there was any way to warn the user he's about to restart on multiple tabs?? i know u can set it to always ask u, but i just thought itd be nice if it just did it on multiple tabs.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

@Duke.

I could, however I think that would defeate it's purpose. I would hate to have two warnings
1)"Restart Firefox?"
then
2) "Multiple tabs/windows are open, are you sure you want to continue".

What I personally love about this is despite how many windows/tabs/etc you have open, it kills them all and restarts (exactly what firefox does when it updates itself), which rids you of a huge hassle.

Again, I'm not setting my foot in stone, however with the current confirmation dialog, I don't see the need for a second, or polluting the settings with two dialogs to dissable.

If I'm being unreasonable, please tell me as this is only my personal point of view.

Cheers
-Jed
Recall

Post by Recall »

jedbro wrote:

While I would agree with you, that would be reinventing the wheel as you already have tabmix plus, or even better, SessionSaver.
Unless someone could give me a valid reason to implement it as well, I would have to say SessionSaveris a much better alternative, and probably better than anything I could code is a reasonable amount of time.

Sort of offtopic: But Mr. E has jumped on board as an Author on this extension, so the next version will be very nice as it will incorporate some of the missing features from his extension.

-Jed

Not everyone uses tabmix plus nor sessionsaver, they like the basic functionality of FF without all the jazz. All you have to do is look at the replies in UMO to see that it is more than warranted. Infact I had to step in and defend the extension after some rather immature replies. Of course I am not knocking the extension, but there is certainly room for improvement. If MR E is doing this now, then I guess I have to wait til he posts a new version.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

@Recall:
I totally agree. While I agree that tabmix plus is 'all that jazz', sessionsaver is pretty slick and does what it does and very well.

All I'm worried about is 1) reinventing the wheel, any my wheel might be inferior, 2) Conflicts with people who use tabmix plus or SessionSaver, 3) Lack of time to keep it updated. 4) Bloat, if I add this feature, RecallFirefox will then have 'all that jazz' too, something I would like to avoid.

I really strongly suggest you try session saver, and if you really think it's too much and have some ideas on how I should implement it in recall in a better way, I'm more than ready to listen :D

Cheers
-Jed
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

the project is dead? :(
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

@minipouss: No, it's still alive and working for the latest Firefox 1.5beta 2.
I have a new version in my hands, just need to fix a few issues before releasing it... I've been packed with tests, school, work and contracts, but will try and find time asap.
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

ok good to hear that :)

take your time to release a very good extension :D