New Extension: Restart Firefox

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
monolistic

Porting to Thunderbird

Post by monolistic »

Any thoughts of making a Thunderbird version of this extension?

Shouldn't require too much extra work.
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

Nothing new? perhaps for christmas ? :D
midnightprophet

thanks

Post by midnightprophet »

You have a couple cool extensions, thanks for the work. if you were going to point to one website and say go there and learn what i am doing, which site would that be?
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

@minipouss: Yep, hopefully. Not sure about christmas, but definitally after new years ;)

@midnightprophet: You mean for extension development?
I would say grab http://jedbrown.net/dev/Mozilla/template-extension.zip, install it, then go hereand learn about editing it!

Cheers
-Jed
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

jedbro wrote:@minipouss: Yep, hopefully. Not sure about christmas, but definitally after new years ;)
Cheers
-Jed
it's new year past 6 days :furious:

:mrgreen:
Limulus

Restart Firefox + SessionSaver

Post by Limulus »

I've been using Restart Firefox for the last few days and I have to say I like it very much! :)

I was looking through the other posts in this thread and some people want it to do what SessionSaver does; I agree that it would be 'reinventing the wheel' to try to duplicate its functionality, but might it be possible to get it to work *with* SS such that when I use RF, it automatically reopens any pages I had up?

Based on the little research I've done by looking at http://kb.mozillazine.org/SessionSaver it seems to me that an option in the RF settings to set the value of "sessionsaver.settings.shutdown" to "false" as FF is restarting would do the trick with the least amount of fuss (since SS would treat it as an abnormal shutdown (read 'crash' ;) and thus take care of it automatically).

It that possible? (asks the user to whom most software is a big black box that usually 'just works') O:)
captain chaos

Post by captain chaos »

Hi
I really like your Restart Firefox-Extension.
It fits perfectly well in my Tools-Menu and does its job good.

But I still have an idea, how you could advance the functionality of your extension:
It would be more comfortable if there was a "Restart Firefox"-Button inside the Themes- and Extensions-Window.
Why?
Because these Windows appear anyway when you just installed a new extension/theme and need to restart. So this would be the perfect place for a Restart-Button.

It´s just an idea I had, I don´t really know if this is possible, so I look forward to hear from you.
greetings.
WilliamW

Post by WilliamW »

captain chaos wrote:Hi
I really like your Restart Firefox-Extension.
It fits perfectly well in my Tools-Menu and does its job good.

But I still have an idea, how you could advance the functionality of your extension:
It would be more comfortable if there was a "Restart Firefox"-Button inside the Themes- and Extensions-Window.
Why?
Because these Windows appear anyway when you just installed a new extension/theme and need to restart. So this would be the perfect place for a Restart-Button.

It´s just an idea I had, I don´t really know if this is possible, so I look forward to hear from you.
greetings.

LOL, I came to this thread to ask for the very same thing.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

@Captain chaos and WilliamW,

Yeah, next version will definitely do that.
You can get a dev release that has that here: <a href="http://jedbrown.net/dev/Mozilla/restartfirefox_04beta2.xpi">RestartFirefox 0.4beta.</a>
Please note that the settings do not work yet.
Also, I think I might be renaming this extension to RestartGecko so I can than add Thunderbird and Calendar Support.

Any comments or feedback on the beta are most welcome, thanks!

Anyhow, I promise I will find time soon to get it out of beta a release it.

Cheers
-Jed
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

One minor nit: when Restart Firefox initiates a restart, it doesn't notify the application/extensions about this fact. This is particularly bad for people using my Session Manager extension, since a restart through your extension doesn't produce the expected results. To fix the problem, simply call canQuitApplication before doing the actual restart.

People affected by this problem are advised to use the following keyconfig macro until an update is available:

Code: Select all

var as = Components.interfaces.nsIAppStartup; if (canQuitApplication()) Components.classes["@mozilla.org/toolkit/app-startup;1"]
.getService(as).quit(as.eRestart | as.eAttemptQuit);
my_name_is_tudor

Post by my_name_is_tudor »

jedbro wrote:
Recall wrote:May I make a suggestion? Include some of tabmix plus code that allows the last session to be restored? Would go hand in hand with this extension imo.

While I would agree with you, that would be reinventing the wheel as you already have tabmix plus, or even better, SessionSaver.
Unless someone could give me a valid reason to implement it as well, I would have to say SessionSaveris a much better alternative, and probably better than anything I could code is a reasonable amount of time.
-Jed

Ahem, I think I might have a valid reason..

I have tabmix plus, but don't use session saver - as I don't want (or indeed need) my sessions saving between closing and relaunching firefox. However, when I am using Restart Firefox (which, by the way, is a brilliant extension, thankyou!), usually to install a new extension or what not, I do want the session saving, as I want to carry on where I left off.

This is the very reason for using Restart Firefox, surely? To restart Firefox in the most unnoticeable way possible, it just drops off the screen, and comes back again as was.

When I close firefox, I was to start again from scratch when I open..

I'm not sure if I'm getting across what I want to say here.. but the basics are that I don't want to save my sessions all the time, only when I use Restart Firefox.

Hope that makes sense..

MNiT
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Maybe it could work with other session saving extensions to provide the functionality. Although actually, maybe it should be the session saving extensions that give you the option to save the session only on restarts. Then maybe that would work with restarting after browser updates too.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

@my_name_is_tudor:

True, I guess I agree with you.
I can implement this, what I want to avoid is having to implement other 'session saving' features, i.e. page scroll length, textbox information, button states, etc.

If all you want is to reload the same pages you had open on restart I will do that, the rest was more of what I was referring to as 'reinventing the wheel'. That way, the basic functionality is there, and if anyone wants the other bells and whistles they can disable the option in RestartFirefox and install session saver.

Does that sound good?
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

jedbro wrote:@my_name_is_tudor:

True, I guess I agree with you.
I can implement this, what I want to avoid is having to implement other 'session saving' features, i.e. page scroll length, textbox information, button states, etc.

If all you want is to reload the same pages you had open on restart I will do that, the rest was more of what I was referring to as 'reinventing the wheel'. That way, the basic functionality is there, and if anyone wants the other bells and whistles they can disable the option in RestartFirefox and install session saver.

Does that sound good?

I use Restart Firefox all the time (great idea, btw.. and it's a real timesaver).

I would also like to be able to reload the same pages I had open on restart, but I would like an extra button in the "Restart Firefox?" confirmation dialog for reloading current pages.
(because sometimes I want to, sometimes I don't) :)

Maybe the buttons could look something like this..

[ Restart/Reload Current ]
[ Restart ] ........ [ Cancel ]
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

I'm using the DSLR Notifier extension with Mr Tech Local Install which uses RestartFirefox. The problem is once you restart the browser DSLR Notifier doesn't function any more it fails to notify you of any updated topics/IMs. I tested this with disabling MTLI and installing RestartFirefox and the problem persists. The only way DSLR Notifier would function is if I manually exit FireFox and start up with a shortcut on my desktop.

Some relevant threads:
[Extension] MR Tech Local Install Updated
[Extension] BBR Notifier Extension

You'd have to create an account on http://www.dslreports.com to test with and if you need any assistance feel free to ask.