New Extension: Restart Firefox

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

I just tried Mr Tech's Local Install and every time I restarted Firefox using its built-in restart function, the toolbar reverted back to the original installation configuration.
I had to exit Firefox and start it again to get my configured toolbar back.
Needless to say this is unacceptable, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled Restart Firerfox.
I'll stay with Restart Firefox.
It works very nicely for me.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Hey guys.

So I finally have updated Restart Firefox.

You can get the beta here.

Things added to this beta:
  • Preliminary Thunderbird support
  • Option to reload current tabs
  • compatibility with session saver, etc.
  • EM buttons and better options.
  • Starting to rename it to "Restart Gecko" although not all strings are changed
  • Statusbar icon is drag and droppable (i.e. you can move it to the normal toolbar).

There are still some rough edges, so thanks for testing it out and letting me know what you think.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Where can I choose if I'd like to reload currently opened tabs?
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Idiot me, found it: one has to check Ask for user confirmation to be asked about the tabs. Would be nice if I could choose that seperately so I'll be able to restart FF with restored tabs without any confirmation at all :)

I found something I'd call a glitch, though. A single tab browser restarted with remembered tabs will open with two tabs: the restored tab and an empty tab. The extension will always add a single, empty tab when restarting.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

dougeeebear wrote:I just tried Mr Tech's Local Install and every time I restarted Firefox using its built-in restart function, the toolbar reverted back to the original installation configuration.
I had to exit Firefox and start it again to get my configured toolbar back.
Needless to say this is unacceptable, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled Restart Firerfox.
I'll stay with Restart Firefox.
It works very nicely for me.

I believe this has been resolve in my Local Install extension with version 4.3.1, thanks.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Brausepaul wrote:I found something I'd call a glitch, though. A single tab browser restarted with remembered tabs will open with two tabs: the restored tab and an empty tab. The extension will always add a single, empty tab when restarting.

For me, it loads my home page plus whatever tabs I had open before I restarted.
This is no problem for me.
I don't have any empty tabs loaded.

As far as I am corncerned, it serves its intended purpose very well.
I particularly like the checkbox choice for "Remember loaded tabs".
Thanks jedbro for a great extension.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Is your homepage set as start page? I use an empty start page, this could be the reason for my blank tab.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Brausepaul wrote:Is your homepage set as start page? I use an empty start page, this could be the reason for my blank tab.

Yes, I have www.yahoo.com set as my home page (or start page).
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Brausepaul wrote:Would be nice if I could choose that seperately so I'll be able to restart FF with restored tabs without any confirmation at all :)

Agreed, I just ran out of time last night, but will add it to the settings menu.

dougeeebear wrote:For me, it loads my home page plus whatever tabs I had open before I restarted.

That is exactly what it's supposed to do.
When I want to re-load the tabs I'm looking at, I also want Firefox to open up the 'home' page or pages that I have assigned as well.

I understand that not everyone might want that, so I could make it an option.
Question is, what should the default behavior do?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Thanks for the clarification...uh...yeah, default behavior... I think there are good arguments for both options: if you restart FF and want to reopen the tabs you aren't "starting" to surf the web really...on the other hand one might expect to see the start page everytime the browser starts up. I'll leave the decision to anyone with smarter arguments.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

jedbro wrote:Question is, what should the default behavior do?

I don't have a problem with it either way, but ten other people would probably have ten different opinions :)
If there's an option, I can find it.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

jedbro wrote:That is exactly what it's supposed to do.
When I want to re-load the tabs I'm looking at, I also want Firefox to open up the 'home' page or pages that I have assigned as well.

When I restart Firefox, it's usually because I want the XUL overlays to reload (because I've modified an extension, userChrome.css, etc.). In that case I just want to get back where I was - and not have any additional pages loaded - which would get the browser crowded quickly when having to restart frequently.

Brausepaul wrote:on the other hand one might expect to see the start page everytime the browser starts up.

I'd make here a difference between startup and restart - and vote for only seeing the startup page at startup.

Furthermore I've got you another code snippet for getting more complete tab restoration in case my Crash Recovery extension is installed:

Code: Select all

if ("@zeniko/crashrecoveryservice;1" in Components.classes)
  gPrefService.setBoolPref("extensions.crashrecovery.resume_session_once", true);
else {
  /* save the current URIs as you're doing it now */
}
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko wrote:Furthermore I've got you another code snippet for getting more complete tab restoration in case my Crash Recovery extension is installed:

Code: Select all

if ("@zeniko/crashrecoveryservice;1" in Components.classes)
  gPrefService.setBoolPref("extensions.crashrecovery.resume_session_once", true);
else {
  /* save the current URIs as you're doing it now */
}

I assume this would also work with Session Manager installed, as it containes the Crash Recovery code.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:I assume this would also work with Session Manager installed, as it containes the Crash Recovery code.

Yes. This would work with all extensions which ship the Crash Recovery component (currently Crash Recovery and Session Manager).
eric.zarko

The problem is in chrome.manifest

Post by eric.zarko »

Mr. E wrote:I guess I wasn't the only one that created this extension today. I guess I'll scrape it then. :( Anyways, there is a problem with the icon(s) for this extension in the "Customize Toolbar" window. It showing a set of default browser buttons. The solution to this problem is to make sure your stylesheet is correct, also check and see if your contents.rdf and/or chrome.manifest file are correct and make sure you did not forget to apply the stylesheet to customizeToolbar.xul. I hope this helps. :)

The problem is in chrome.manifest.

s/restartfirefoxOverlay\.css/restartfirefox\.css/g

Very useful .... but I found out the hard way that using it to restart will not catch updates to it's own chrome.manifest. ;)
-Eric