New extension: Tab Sidebar 1.0 (Firefox 1.5b1 upwards)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Dave, very nicely done! I took a quick look at the code and saw the id viewDeliciousBarSidebar in browserOverlay.xul - I just wanted to make sure this was intentional since it may have been copied from another extension in which case this would conflict if they were both installed.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Ok, so I've just uploaded my days worth of work on this with a stack of extra features.
  • It now looks a bit nicer and has options to configure the display and how the previews are refreshed.
  • The standard shortcuts of middle-click to close a tab and double click to open work.
  • You can see if a tab is on a secure site.
  • Should all work better with other themes (though it uses winstripe's icons).
  • Hovering over the title should show the full title and url of the tab.
  • You can drag and drop the previews around.
  • You can drop urls into the sidebar to get them loaded.
  • You can even drag tabs from the main tab bar and drop them into the sidebar and it works nicely ;)
  • Should behave a bit better when canvas elements don't work on optimised builds.

All in all a successful day I think.

Install/Download

w.o.o.m.: Cheers for spotting that, it was indeed copied from another extension, but as it happens it was one of my extensions that never saw the light of day!

Recall: The new version should have sorted those errors now.
Jus

Post by Jus »

This is very cool. Some thngs I'd like, a button bring up the sidebar and an option to disable the tab bar automatically when the tab sidebar is opened.

Have you tried not having a vertical scroll bar? Do the previews become too small?

Hmm, the previews only show when the page is fully loaded.
Recall

Post by Recall »

Wow, loads of fixes! I can confirm that those errors are now fixed :) I love the drag and drop, very very cool. This is probably the best new extension I have tried so far, infact so good that once it working as you like it possibly get it included in the TRUNK as a feature!

Could you include and option for the sidebar to pop out on hover and other option for it to be clicked on the right to pop out ( sep options )? For tips on how to do this, check the code for POTO sidebar as this has the option.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Jus wrote:This is very cool. Some thngs I'd like, a button bring up the sidebar and an option to disable the tab bar automatically when the tab sidebar is opened.

The button to open it is no problem, and I've just this morning figured out how ti hide the tabbar without breaking the tabbrowser!
Jus wrote:Have you tried not having a vertical scroll bar? Do the previews become too small?

The problem is that as soon as the scrollbar appears when the numer of tabs is too large, the previews shrink a bit, at which point the scrollbar may no-longer be necessary and at the moment that situation is somewhat flakey. So for now the scrollbar is staying fixed until I can come up with an alternative
Jus wrote:Hmm, the previews only show when the page is fully loaded.

I may shortly add an option to keep refreshing the preview during load, but to be honest, all that will do is slow down the load of the pages.
Recall wrote:Could you include and option for the sidebar to pop out on hover and other option for it to be clicked on the right to pop out

I'll take a look into it and see what I can do.
Last edited by Mossop on October 23rd, 2005, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recall

Post by Recall »

Thanks mossop, btw I meant on the LEFT not the right :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

I tried out your new version, but there's nothing like a notification that shows me that I'm on a secure site. A tab with a secure site just looks like an other site. Closing tabs through middle-click also doesn't work for me.

What I like is the new options window and the possibility to switch off some things.

Keep on your good work :)
What will happen next? You never know.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

mezziah wrote:I tried out your new version, but there's nothing like a notification that shows me that I'm on a secure site. A tab with a secure site just looks like an other site. Closing tabs through middle-click also doesn't work for me.

This is very strange. The secure icon should display next to the reload and close buttons. Are you using a non-default theme? Do you get any errors in the js console when you middle-click to close?

Mossop
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Er, nevermind. Closing tabs with middle-click works now, although it didn't a few minutes ago.

I removed all buttons, so it seems to be my fault regarding that thing with secure sites. It now works as it should.
Jus

Post by Jus »

mossop wrote:
Jus wrote:Hmm, the previews only show when the page is fully loaded.

I may shortly add an option to keep refreshing the preview during load, but to be honest, all that will do is slow down the load of the pages.

Ok. Thanks for replying. :)
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

mezziah wrote:I removed all buttons, so it seems to be my fault regarding that thing with secure sites. It now works as it should.

I guess it might be sensible for me to seperate the secure indicator from the other buttons so you can opt to keep that but not the others.

Cheers
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Yes, why not. You could also add an option where the background changes its color from white to yellow or something like that.

There won't be a SM port, am I right?
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

mezziah wrote:There won't be a SM port, am I right?

It's pretty unlikely that I will do an SM port for this, mainly because I know so little about how SM works and don't use it enough to know that I would get anything well tested out of it.
Sudikov

Post by Sudikov »

Great extension!! :) Some questions:
1 Is it possible to make it toopbar and hide tabs bar?
2 Is it possible to to add option to hide caption (Tab sidebar and close buton) ?
3 Is it possible to make scroolbar autohiding when is unneeded?

Thx for this extension and sorry for my english ;)
Keeep up Good work!
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Sudikov wrote:Great extension!! :) Some questions:
1 Is it possible to make it toopbar and hide tabs bar?
2 Is it possible to to add option to hide caption (Tab sidebar and close buton) ?
3 Is it possible to make scroolbar autohiding when is unneeded?

I dont understand what you mean by toopbar.