New extension: Tab Sidebar 1.0 (Firefox 1.5b1 upwards)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

mossop wrote:It's pretty unlikely that I will do an SM port for this, mainly because I know so little about how SM works and don't use it enough to know that I would get anything well tested out of it.

That's sad. :(

mossop wrote:I dont understand what you mean by toopbar.

I think he means that he wants an option for replacing the image sidebar with the tab bar.
What will happen next? You never know.
Sudikov

Post by Sudikov »

mossop wrote:
Sudikov wrote:Great extension!! :) Some questions:
1 Is it possible to make it toopbar and hide tabs bar?
2 Is it possible to to add option to hide caption (Tab sidebar and close buton) ?
3 Is it possible to make scroolbar autohiding when is unneeded?

I dont understand what you mean by toopbar.

"Topbar" like in Flock instead of tabs bar
xeen

Post by xeen »

He wants your extension to replace the normal tabbar (or: tabbar with images).
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

How does this extension work? How do you open the Sidebar of tab thumbnails? I couldn't find any toolbar button to open it and I don't see any menu options or anything hinting at it in the extensions' options.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
jgf06

Post by jgf06 »

View > Sidebar > Tab Sidebar
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051105 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005110503
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Yeah just found it on my own. I would think it should be mentioned somewhere on the page. I never even knew of that submenu before, heh.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Schrade wrote:Yeah just found it on my own. I would think it should be mentioned somewhere on the page. I never even knew of that submenu before, heh.

For the moment it is there because that is the standard place to put sidebars. A toolbar button has already been requested earlier in this thread, and will be included in the next version.

As for help documentation, well I've generally been too busy with my extension to actualyl write anything down about them, but who knows, maybe I will get a chance for this one! ;)
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Ok I finally got round to finishing the next release, 1.0 beta 2 is available from the link at the start of this thread. Be warned though, the user interface has changed somewhat and UI's being one of the more subjective things some may not like the new look.

The reasons for the change are to make the sidebar look more like part of the firefox UI and less mickey mouse. Also the buttons were moved back from being over the preview to outside it because they were proving to be near unnoticable on lots of sites. The minor irritation right now is that the secure icon takes up a lot of space. If anyone wants to make any further suggestions on the UI layout then please feel free. If you want to see what the new UI looks like before installing then look here.

Im afraid I can't think back to what the new features in this release are, but it is far more configurable, even some advanced tweaking options are available.

Mossop
Jus

Post by Jus »

The tabbar is still there just without the tabs(Is it not possible to make it go away?). Everything else works. :)
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Jus wrote:The tabbar is still there just without the tabs(Is it not possible to make it go away?). Everything else works. :)

If you have ticked that option and it still doesnt work (and you do have to close and re-open the sidebar for it to happen) then you had better tell me what version of firefox you are using, if there are any errors in hte js console and what extensions you have installed.
Zagin

Post by Zagin »

nice extension!

i like the new look and the secure icon looks fine to me. =)

but i find that if you strech the sidebar to 50% witdh for exemple, the preview gets bigger but the viewing witdh of the previewed site gets smaller. what i mean is that when the preview is small i can see more of the site and when the prevew is big, i see less.

could the preview bypass the "framed" view and show the whole witdh of the site?

if so would it be overkill to add a scroll bar within the preview to view the height of the site?

this way, i can kindda view two sites in split screen. =) [edit]...actualy i could view 1 site on one side, and many many more in the sidebar.
Zagin

Post by Zagin »

and also, it would be nice if the sidebar close itself automaticly when only 1 tab is open, and open automaticly when i call for a second tab. just like in firefox option: "hide tab when 1 tab is open".

so, an option to disable/replace the tabbar completely would be nice.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Zagin wrote:could the preview bypass the "framed" view and show the whole witdh of the site?

Sorry I really dont follow what you are asking for here.
Zagin

Post by Zagin »

i'm sorry, i'm trying to explain myself, but i cant find the proper words.

when the sidebar is 175 pixel width, the preview is of course small, but i can see the left and right end of the sites original span, while if i stretch the side bar to 400 pixel width the preview is big but i only see the left side of the site because the preview takes an image of the shrunken width off firefox main window view.

i hope i was i little clearer this time. =)
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Well the preview is designed to always show what you can see in the browser. If the page you are viewing has for some reason forced itself to be wider than the browser then what would you expect to happen? Should you see the full width of the page in the preview, what about the height of the preview, should that remain fixed to the height of the browser or should that scale up accordingly.