New: CuteMenus

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
varun21

Need time to update.

Post by varun21 »

Hi there,

I know it's been long but i haven't had time to look into this one. I very much appreciate the troubleshooting you have done to narrow down to the issue. I'll look into this if time allows and get back with you.

Regards
Varun
Cheers!
Editor: Binary Turf
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

hi varun21_sharma,
good to see u're up & running still. It's pretty hard to find u'r thread. Why don't u make a link on u'r homepage to reflect the stuff here. This way anybody has any issues can come here.
More importantly I've installed both cutemenus2 1.0 & colorful tabs 1.4 & while both work somewhat they're not right. I'll put screenshots of both & at some point also some screenshots of where both these things come up short. Perhaps u can have a look at it & guide me/us what to do. Thnx in advance.
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
varun21

Post by varun21 »

Hi Shirish,

Gud idea, I got a lot to put up after all this time. I guess i'll have to get started today. However, both my extensions are working fine as of fx 1.5.0.5. Lemme know which version are you having issues with so that i can start debugging now.

Regards
Shivanand Sharma

shirishag75 wrote:hi varun21_sharma,
good to see u're up & running still. It's pretty hard to find u'r thread. Why don't u make a link on u'r homepage to reflect the stuff here. This way anybody has any issues can come here.
More importantly I've installed both cutemenus2 1.0 & colorful tabs 1.4 & while both work somewhat they're not right. I'll put screenshots of both & at some point also some screenshots of where both these things come up short. Perhaps u can have a look at it & guide me/us what to do. Thnx in advance.
Cheers!
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

It's 2.0 beta 2 latest nightly . Here's one of the screenshots which has the issue

Click on it to see how the tabs look. Is there any incompatibility with any other extension let's say
Refcontrol, stylish, noscript, & other extensions. Greasemonkey is disabled but still get this.

As u can see here, instead of a single they're occupying 3 rows sometimes 3-4 columns are used by these different tabs as can be seen below :-

Now this is easily seen in the website mentioned as well as when u're using Imagebot's view option to view this page.

There is a possibility tht some extension is the issue or not. Would try tht a little later. There were some bugs reported with tabbing behavior but this behavior is exhibited only by Colorful tabs. I haven't had this kind of thing happening when disabling or uninstalling colorful tabs. Also see if its reproducible at u'r end with the latest nightly :)

Edit :- Confirming it doesn't work even with all extensions disabled, just looking at either of the above images in a second tab has the same behavior happening, so it's not any of the other extensions issue. So it could be either a browser issue/bug or the browser functionality has changed while the extension hasn't been updated to how the new browser is functioning. Plz. look into it.

Further Edit :- On playing some more, found out tht on some images its displayed twice. One can also right click on the pic. & find that it's a tab. What's happening is tht as normally the tab shows a tbumbnail of the pic. Now instead of the thumbnail being shown, the whole pic. is being displayed. Because of which all the other tabs are also being disturbed. Closing tht tab resumes normal functionality. This happens with both the small 2 row one as well as the ones like the ones shown just above (full page image & tabs flowing in 3 columns or more). Hope u can come up with some stop-gap solution in the meantime.
Last edited by shirishag75 on August 24th, 2006, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
varun21

Post by varun21 »

Hi Shirish,

Well, we'd need to go into the functionality of this ext.
1) skinning the tabs is all css
2) getting new and old tabs and changing their moz-opacity attrib is done by a custom class attribute using javascript.
3) (this could be the trouble). i was a windows only user before i realised there has to b a better way this can b done. haven't been able to figure a cross OS solution. The tab is colored using a 22px x 1px image which is tiled in the x direction (i mean repeated horizontally). so in linux, there's some extra space under the tabs which is left uncolored, and something gives me teh feeling that it's these images which are sc****** things.

i'll have to extract the css and check out how a tab can be colored using the same/ similiar images/ colors. i think the js file wouldn't need a mod.
Keep posting Shirish, nice to have active testers like you :)

shirishag75 wrote:It's 2.0 beta 2 latest nightly . Here's one of the screenshots which has the issue

Click on it to see how the tabs look. Is there any incompatibility with any other extension let's say
Refcontrol, stylish, noscript, & other extensions. Greasemonkey is disabled but still get this.

As u can see here, instead of a single they're occupying 3 rows sometimes 3-4 columns are used by these different tabs as can be seen below :-

Now this is easily seen in the website mentioned as well as when u're using Imagebot's view option to view this page.

There is a possibility tht some extension is the issue or not. Would try tht a little later. There were some bugs reported with tabbing behavior but this behavior is exhibited only by Colorful tabs. I haven't had this kind of thing happening when disabling or uninstalling colorful tabs. Also see if its reproducible at u'r end with the latest nightly :)

Edit :- Confirming it doesn't work even with all extensions disabled, just looking at either of the above images in a second tab has the same behavior happening, so it's not any of the other extensions issue. So it could be either a browser issue/bug or the browser functionality has changed while the extension hasn't been updated to how the new browser is functioning. Plz. look into it.

Further Edit :- On playing some more, found out tht on some images its displayed twice. One can also right click on the pic. & find that it's a tab. What's happening is tht as normally the tab shows a tbumbnail of the pic. Now instead of the thumbnail being shown, the whole pic. is being displayed. Because of which all the other tabs are also being disturbed. Closing tht tab resumes normal functionality. This happens with both the small 2 row one as well as the ones like the ones shown just above (full page image & tabs flowing in 3 columns or more). Hope u can come up with some stop-gap solution in the meantime.
Cheers!
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

let me quote tht this I've tested only under Windows XP as of yet. Both the screenshots are in Windows XP. I haven't even tried in GNU/Linux as of yet. If need be will look into it. Just lemme know what u need. For e.g. is there a debugging mode, which can be turned on or a log mode which will tell what's happening. I can then send tht text to u & u can use it to diagnose.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

any updates on this varun :(
Harald.L

Post by Harald.L »

Finally a new version is out, working with 2.0, Thx!
My primary ffox test system: http://www.sysprofile.de/id20064 (Direct2D: enabled, DirectWrite: enabled, WebGL: ANGLE, GPU Accelerated Windows: Direct3D 10)
Even if my user agent shows Firefox Release version number I'm always using Aurora (updated daily) cloaked by UserAgentSwitcher
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

The new version isn't working for me. When I select the default theme I get no icons.
floydstyle

Post by floydstyle »

the cutemenu 2 is fully working with Firefox 2.0
http://www.geocities.com/replysn/firefox.htm

It would be nice to add icons for cutemenu when a themer update their skins
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

mattcoz wrote:The new version isn't working for me. When I select the default theme I get no icons.
Got it to work when I select it from the context menu, but not from the add-ons menu.
varun21

A New Horizon

Post by varun21 »

Guys,

I have mixed feelings.when there was no update of my extensions for Fx2.0 i was receiving approx 25-30 mails a day requesting me to update my extensions as people couldn't live without them. Now that I have updated them, I see that no one has reported how useful/good they are but only have reported tons of errors and bugs.

I know I'm not a programmer and have to make things up with trial and error BUT...
we are at a point wherein we need a bunch of techies who can debug things and can report bugs with their possible cause/errors. I don't have a mac and can't test these extensions on a Mac. Linux again is the same story. I can only support Windows to that extent.

As of now i've taken down support for other OSes in Colorful Tabs. I'm planning to do the same for CuteMenus2 as well in the near future. I think it's better to have a perfect thing that is not versatile than to have a versatile thing which is not perfect. I want my extensions to function flawlessly without causing any harm/damage to Firefox/profile/userdata. This is also an effort to improve and contribute to the stability of this amazing browser which (I personally feel) is being attacked by hordes of in/compatible extensions.

Please post your response. If you don't get a reply PM me or mail me at varun21@gmail.com (I don't mind getting spam; I'm already gettin enough of it)

Please let me know if someone can test the functionality of my extensions on mac and/or linux and is familiar with javascript console and DOM Inspector so that the exact errors can be reported. Thanks a ton.

PS -- I'm planning to change the name of cutemenus2 to something better. there are lots of them. Is someone thinkin?

Yours
Shivanand Sharma
Cheers!