Spell Checker for Firebird

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

I've only just stumbled across this (thanks to the link in James's signature. Thanks!) and I like what I see (it's just corrected the word signature for me, apparently it has an a and not two i's...)
Torisugari wrote:Linux people: You need to copy 3 files and 1 directory from tb components to fb components.
spellchecker.xpt
spellchck.so(?)
myspell.so(?)

myspell
One small correction, they're actually called libspellchecker.so and libmyspell.so

This will get a lot of testing from me. I've become quite averse to extensions lately as they started to make Firebird crashy, but this fills a definite need for me and so far it looks like a keeper. Keep up the good work!

Edit - one other thing, if you install the frontend extension into your profile and build Firebird yourself, add

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --enable-extensions=spellcheck
to your .mozconfig and the spellchecker is built in with no need to do any copying of files when you update your build. If someone has already said this in this thread I apologise for my ignorance, I've not had time today to read the whole thread.
nogwater

Post by nogwater »

First of all: Thank you so much for building this.

Suggestion:
If the user selects a section of the text and runs the spell checker, only check the selected text.

I usually know when I've spelled a word wrong and would like to be able to select that single word and spell check it alone (avoiding any slang and urls in the rest of my text). I would also like to spell check sections of text and avoid code or other un-spell-checkable text.

Mozilla Mail works this way.

-Nogwater
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

nogwater wrote:First of all: Thank you so much for building this.

Suggestion:
If the user selects a section of the text and runs the spell checker, only check the selected text.

I usually know when I've spelled a word wrong and would like to be able to select that single word and spell check it alone (avoiding any slang and urls in the rest of my text). I would also like to spell check sections of text and avoid code or other un-spell-checkable text.

Mozilla Mail works this way.

-Nogwater

Yep....that would be a good feature. :)
James

Post by James »

I don't normally use Quick Note but I seem to always have the Firebird(nov.14 .zip) freeze on me when I try to use the 0.4 version of spell checker. The spell checker worked fine before installing quick note though.

Persist ... glad to be of help .. :)
Walter K

A few small nits

Post by Walter K »

Torisugari:

First of all, thank you for the extension. It's a great addition to the multitude of Mozilla's extensions. Forms spellchecker brings great feature and polish to the app.

Now, about the things that I noticed (I'm looking at version 0.3 for Firebird 0.7 on WinXP):
- spellchecker's window doesn't remember its position between use
- in Options dialog, meaning of Enable to Resize Window is reversed. When check box is unchecked, resizing is enabled, and when check box is checked - disabled
- in Options dialog, some entries end with period, but not the others ;)
- in spellchecker's window, Language | Download More does nothing when selected

W.
Michael Scherer

Post by Michael Scherer »

I've implemented two features which may be useful for others, too:
- Spell checking of selected text only: If there is a selection, only that part will be checked.
- Dictionary selection from context menu: You can define a list of dictionaries that will be added to the context menu as separate menu items. It really simplifies switching between different languages.

You can control both features via the options dialog:

Turn off 'Check selected text only' if you want to check the whole text always. I've had some trouble with newline characters while implementing it. It seems to work for Windows now, but I haven't tested it on Linux or Mac OS.

The field 'Dictionaries to show in context menu' contains a space delimited list of language ids. Leave it blank to disable this feature.

The resulting context menu:

The Jar file is downloadable from http://www.schereronline.net/files/spellcheckerfe.jar. Simply replace your current Jar with it, if you want to test it.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Well, now that I changed my Firebird version, it does not crash anymore. When I click the menu to check spelling, nothing happens. It does not check spelling, there are no popups, it does not crash at least.
Dan Kies
Location: Subjunctive {Sydney, NYC, Chicago, Paris} Indicative {Hell}

Post by Dan Kies »

Michael,

I love the enhancements you have added to Torisugari's extension. Well done.

Your latest .jar (with dictionary specification and selection checking) won't show up for me at all when I try to use it. I am running the 20031122 build of the Moz suite on win98se and have the front end installed to my profile.

For me now, it's back to your first .jar again.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

the new jar with selection checking is working great for me :)
gbil

Post by gbil »

Michael your jar is working fine, except that it brakes the back button list! With the original extension it doesn't happen.
Can anyone else confirm this?
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Michael Scherer wrote:
The Jar file is downloadable from http://www.schereronline.net/files/spellcheckerfe.jar. Simply replace your current Jar with it, if you want to test it.

This is nice. Great job. Thanks.
zengiman

Post by zengiman »

Love all this. When will it be an official Extension?
Quack

Post by Quack »

Using the latest nightly, can sum1 tell me which 1 or 2 files i need to d/l to get spellychecker to werk! Sort of confusing so far. Thanks!!!
" oh no!!! . . . it's a beta . . . it will jump outta ur computer & stab u, ur family and ur pets !!!" lol
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Dan Kies wrote:While working on a completely different bug, I had the JavaScript Console open while launching Mozilla mail (win32 build 2003111808 of the Mozilla Suite), and I saw this appear in the console:

-------- begin snip ----------

Error: document.getElementById("contentAreaContextMenu") has no properties
Source File: chrome://spellcheckerfe/content/spellcheckerfeOverlay.xul
Line: 18

---------- end snip ----------

I have the Spellchecker Front End installed in my profile.

Fixed in 0.3.1 (the same url).

Dan Kies wrote:See http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16409 for the details.

I've just posted a patch, though I think more discussion is needed.

Thank you for your tests, feedbacks and new user instructions.I wish I could express my gratitude more fluently. And excuse my single-task coding and answering. This post is reply to that of about a week ago...

>Quack
Sorry for messed information.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 382#266382
Quack

Post by Quack »

thanks dude (american appellation for affection and respect)!

But i'm still a little uncertain. Could sum1 be so kind as to post the exact url's in order that i need to click on!!!
\:D/
" oh no!!! . . . it's a beta . . . it will jump outta ur computer & stab u, ur family and ur pets !!!" lol