Spell Checker for Firebird

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

After all, it doesn't work for Geronimo, lynchknot and BT_Justice, and works for others', right? What is the border line of the two groups?
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Hmmm unfortunately I also can't get it to work at all without crashing. I get the same error message lynchknot reported. I installed the 1.6a spellcheck.xpi and the 0.3 frontend into

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031116 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim)

Torisugari, do you have any extensions installed on your test machine? What about everyone else who can't get it to work? Could this be an extension conflict somewhere? Also You mentioned you installed composer on one of your test builds, I tried to do this as well but I got a "script error" from the installer.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

alts+s sounds good. will make a screenshot if the replace problem appears again ;)
Dan Kies
Location: Subjunctive {Sydney, NYC, Chicago, Paris} Indicative {Hell}

Post by Dan Kies »

Torisugari,

Thank you so much for the Mozilla suite front end. I haven't tested it much yet, but it installed and seems to be working flawlessly. Thanks very much for this very helpful extension.

Paradox52525,

I am running the 20031114 build of the Moz suite on a win32 box. I have Adblock and Calendar installed, and I am running a third party theme. Hope this helps.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I have:

compact menu
themer
TBE
mozcalc
paste and go
cute menus
toolbar enhancements
digger
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Torisugari wrote:
TychoQuad wrote:Feature request though... could you add the ability to check words in line... just change the background behind them or maybe even an MS Office style squiggly line under the offending word?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. What is in line and what is squiggle? Screen shot, please.

Alrighty.

This is a screenshot of Trillian Pro's spell checker in action. as you can see in the text entry box at the bottom, there are horribly misplelt words, and those words have a squigilly line underneath them. you can also see a right-click menu. this menu appeared when i clicked on the mispelled word "doo" and has the suggestions for the word at the top of the menu. I am requesting that this be added to your spell checker plugin.

Many apps these days spell check "in line" or as you type like this these days, including Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org and of course, Trillian Pro. To be perfectly honest, I really can't be bothered spell checking entire documents, and it's really handy becuase it tells my i've mispelt an important word, and i can correct it. It also means i don't have to go through every word in a long document which may contain slang or URL's
Dan Kies

Post by Dan Kies »

Torisugari,

Thank you again for the wonderful extension. I have it on the Mozilla suite, have been testing it regularly, and it just works great. I accidentally discovered something though that you might be able to use in the future.

While working on a completely different bug, I had the JavaScript Console open while launching Mozilla mail (win32 build 2003111808 of the Mozilla Suite), and I saw this appear in the console:

-------- begin snip ----------

Error: document.getElementById("contentAreaContextMenu") has no properties
Source File: chrome://spellcheckerfe/content/spellcheckerfeOverlay.xul
Line: 18

---------- end snip ----------

I have the Spellchecker Front End installed in my profile.

Once again, I repeat that the extension is working great. No problems. But I thought I would pass this along for future reference if you need it.
Dan Kies

Post by Dan Kies »

Torisugari,

One more thing: I think you might have some money coming to you for your work.

Apparently, there was a fund created ( http://sourcesupport.org/?project=43 ) to pay anyone who fixes bug 16409, "invoke spell check in browser window (multiple form fields)."

See http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16409 for the details.

It's not a lot of money, but at least it's enough to buy yourself and a friend a couple of drinks in honor of your work.
Last edited by Dan Kies on November 18th, 2003, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogwater

Post by nogwater »

Two things about the SourceSupport project:
1) Don't forget that this needs to mark but bugzilla bug as fixed, and
2) Now that it looks like it is going to be fixed, it might be nice to actually make a thank you donation.

-Nogwater
autumnriver

Post by autumnriver »

It installed and then disappeared. Can't see it anywhere or whatever I type or right click.

Does not show in the Extensions window.

FB 0.7 WIN98
James

Post by James »

Did you restart Firebird?

Installing these two links to get the 0.3 version works for me in Nov.16 nightly.zip
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... lcheck.xpi (in directory) and http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... rfe0_3.xpi (profile)

The Spell Checker Front End 0.3 shows up in Extension Options for me.

While in say a search box or a post a reply box, right click on box and select the "Check Spelling" in the context menu.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I tried those two links and I still get a crash every time. Is it normal to have both check spelling and spellchecker in the dialog?

James

Post by James »

In the context menu the "Spell checker" is the 0.2 version, while the "Check Spelling" is the 0.3 version. If you installed each front end links in a new profile each time, then that shouldn't have happened.

I got the 0.2 and 0.3 Front End working fine in different profiles in the Nov.16 nightly, as the other link(spell checker) installs in directory.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

hehe. Oh well, they both crash anyway.
James

Post by James »

Just a thought... *scratches head*

Did you install that first experimental version that Torisugari first posted in the first post in the same Nov.9 build your using now, as the first spell checker was very crashy for me, as Firebird would shut down each time.