Spell Checker for Firebird

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
autumnriver

Post by autumnriver »

James,

Thanks. It seems to work OK now.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

James wrote:Just a thought... *scratches head*

Did you install that first experimental version that Torisugari first posted in the first post in the same Nov.9 build your using now, as the first spell checker was very crashy for me, as Firebird would shut down each time.

I installed this first: http://mozcafe.com/xpi/spellchecker_1.5a.xpi then I went to the first page and tried all the links there.
zengiman

Post by zengiman »

Wow it works.
Brilliant! Finally I'm a 100% Firebird men.( Sorry K-Meleon... ).
c∂n

Post by c∂n »

zengiman wrote:Wow it works.

that would make you zengimen then ?

or did you mean you were/are a 100% Firebird man ?
zengiman

Re: 175

Post by zengiman »

c∂n wrote:
zengiman wrote:Wow it works.

that would make you zengimen then ?

or did you mean you were/are a 100% Firebird man ?

Hmm, spellchecker does not solve all my problems apparently....(he, I can use words like apparently now)
Nos402

Post by Nos402 »

Excellent work! This was the final thing that I was really missing in Firebird. My only suggestion for the future would be for the spellchecker to ignore any code such as links. IESpell somehow ignores any code written in the field.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

TychoQuad wrote:This is a screenshot of Trillian Pro's spell checker in action. as you can see in the text entry box at the bottom, there are horribly misplelt words, and those words have a squigilly line underneath them. you can also see a right-click menu. this menu appeared when i clicked on the mispelled word "doo" and has the suggestions for the word at the top of the menu. I am requesting that this be added to your spell checker plugin.

Many apps these days spell check "in line" or as you type like this these days, including Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org and of course, Trillian Pro. To be perfectly honest, I really can't be bothered spell checking entire documents, and it's really handy becuase it tells my i've mispelt an important word, and i can correct it. It also means i don't have to go through every word in a long document which may contain slang or URL's

Thank you for the screen shot. I understood about squiggly line things, but "in line" is not clear to me yet. Maybe you should file a RFE bug in bugzilla, because I didn't touch spellchecker itself. My extension only calls it from contextmenu. To be honest, too, I have never used any kind of spell checker except this extension, because there's no checker for the Japanese sentence. This is useful to me only on posting here.

http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... e0_4_0.xpi
irkregent

Post by irkregent »

Today's 0.4 release consistently crashes Firebird for me (Windows 2000, aebrahim's G6-optimized 2003-11-18 build).
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

is there a way to save the dictionaries after you have added words? i would like to backup them for if i have to install firebird again or upgrade. and the fornt end 0.4 works great for me
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

sboulema wrote:is there a way to save the dictionaries after you have added words? i would like to backup them for if i have to install firebird again or upgrade.

I think they are stored in %profile%\persdict.dat.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

Torisugari wrote:
sboulema wrote:is there a way to save the dictionaries after you have added words? i would like to backup them for if i have to install firebird again or upgrade.

I think they are stored in %profile%\persdict.dat.

yep youre right :D Thanks.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

got the bug i was talking earlier again. took some time to show, it did it more often in the older versions.
made a screenshot so you can see it. basically its that the spellchecker gives an suggestion which is exact the same as the word that is marked as incorrect spelled, and the replace buttons are greyed out.

Michael Scherer

Post by Michael Scherer »

I had some problems with version 0.4.0 (Windows 2000, Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031116 Firebird/0.7+). The following text caused an infinite loop in function HighlightMissspelledWord():

Code: Select all

test djflkdslf

test

Using another method to apply the HTML code for highlighting the misspelled words seems to solve it:

function HighlightMissspelledWord()
{
    // Needed by setCSSInlineProperty
    var aserv=Components.classes["@mozilla.org/atom-service;1"].
        getService(Components.interfaces.nsIAtomService);

gMisspelledWord = gSpellChecker.GetNextMisspelledWord();
    gEditor.beginTransaction();
    while(gMisspelledWord){
        // Old:
        //gEditor.insertHTML("<span style=\"border=solid;
        //        text-decoration:underline;color:red;\">"+gMisspelledWord+"</span>");

// New:
        gEditor.setCSSInlineProperty(aserv.getAtom("span") , "style" ,
                "text-decoration:underline;color:red;" );

gMisspelledWord = gSpellChecker.GetNextMisspelledWord();
    }
    gEditor.endTransaction();
    RecheckEditor();
    NextWord();
}

In order to get it working, I had to change one line in startup():

gEditorElement.makeEditable('html',false);  // changed first argument from 'htmlmail' to 'html'

The source is downloadable from http://www.schereronline.net/files/spellcheckerfe.jar. I haven't encountered any implications so far, but may have overlooked something important.

Thanks for providing such a valuable extension.

@sboulema: I don't think it's a bug. There are simply no appropriate alternatives in the dictionary which could be suggested. The buttons are enabled again after changing the 'replace with' text field.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

@sboulema: I don't think it's a bug. There are simply no appropriate alternatives in the dictionary which could be suggested. The buttons are enabled again after changing the 'replace with' text field.

hmm ok that sounds logic. why didnt i thought of that :S
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Torisugari wrote:Thank you for the screen shot. I understood about squiggly line things, but "in line" is not clear to me yet.

All i meant by in line, is that it tells you what's a spelling mistake without having to bring up another dialog. I'm not really going to go out of my way to spell check, but if words tell me thier wrong, i'll fix them.