Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
jj44

Post by jj44 »

Thanks for the new version! It's looking great.
I am, however, having an issue with elements not collapsing properly, notably at www.theglobeandmail.com
If you go to an article, there are big white spaces where the ads were. This worked properly on 0.5.11

Thanks!
Fx|3.1b2 -- OS|Win 7 Build 7000
CPU

Post by CPU »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Adblock Plus icon: check out http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12889. I have attached an icon that has been suggested and seems to do the job. I'd rather not put it into the status bar but into the toolbar however (I agree with the previous commenters on this). I'll also provide an option not to show "Adblock" in the status bar then. Goal is to make this option the default setting some versions later.

the icon seems more like for bugs.. not ads
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403
Rasha

Post by Rasha »

Will you reconsider adding a status bar icon? For users who are used to it?
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Agreed. I hate adding buttons to the upper toolbar. I'm already going down into the corner anyway to control the behavior of Greasemonkey, GMail Notifier, and IETab... so it's much easier to keep all the various extension control buttons in one place.

Also, I can't say I understand how the image of a cockroach is somehow more relevant to "AdBlock" than the word "AD" in "BLOCK" form as AdBlock Plus 0.5.12 had. That seems MUCH more intuitive to me.

Other than that, fantastic rewrite though. Despite a lot of the naysayers on AMO, your work is MUCH appreciated.
DarkOne123

Post by DarkOne123 »

I seem to have a problem with AdBlock sometimes when I open FF it says at the Status Bar "Not Loaded" where Adblock is, I think the problem is due to "Organize Status Bar" extension I have disabled it at the moment for a few days and see what happens, anyone else is having this problem ?
Peng

Post by Peng »

DarkOne123 wrote:I seem to have a problem with AdBlock sometimes when I open FF it says at the Status Bar "Not Loaded" where Adblock is, I think the problem is due to "Organize Status Bar" extension I have disabled it at the moment for a few days and see what happens, anyone else is having this problem ?

That happened to me, and I don't have Organize Status Bar. I right-clicked on it and disabled and reenabled it and it worked fine after that. I didn't think to check if it was blocking ads when it said "Not Loaded".

Okay, well, I have a text file where I write down changes I think should be made to different extensions, though I'm usually not motivated enough to mention them, but here's the list for Adblock Plus 0.6:

Adblock Plus 0.6 - I think it should add back the link to Mozilla's regular expression syntax. I needed it.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - The list of filters is too big. The text is too large and there's too much space between lines. (Actually, I don't mind this so much anymore.)

Adblock Plus 0.6 - I wish you could disable a filter without removing it. If filters were stored in adblockplus.rdf or something instead of a preference, this would be easier to implement.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - It dump()s a lot of stuff to the console. It would be nice if you could turn that off. (It should default to off and have an extensions.adblockplus.debug preference to turn it on.)

Adblock Plus 0.6 - It needs tooltips for truncated links in the add filter drop-down, if that's possible.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - You should be able to resize the columns in the sidebar and click them to sort the list.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - It should have a toolbar button.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - The 'Adblock Image' context menu item seems to be there or not there whenever it wants to be instead of when it should be.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - I would like the old window for the list of blockable items, just because the sidebar and drop-down aren't as wide.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - Regular expressions still make it go crazy on http://www.blogger.com/start.

Adblock Plus 0.6 - Perhaps its status bar icon could be like the Object Tabs tab, only just with "AD"? I think that would look nice.

And yes, some of these things have been mentioned already by other people.

About the regular expressions going crazy, they totally freeze up the browser for a while. Now, I used pretty complex regular expressions, but most of the time they were very quick. But on that page and a couple others I didn't write down, they might take 5-30 seconds for each one. Adblock Plus 0.6 is doing that in my test profile, though I haven't tested it in my main one. I think Adblock Plus 0.5 worked fine in my test profile with them, but not my main one.

Overall, though, I like Adblock Plus 0.6. It still needs work, but it's definitely coming along nicely. I had stopped using Adblock Plus 0.5 because of the regular expression problem and because Adblock and Adblock Plus were frequently to blame for different problems. We'll see how Adblock Plus 0.6 works out. :)

Edit:
Adblock Plus 0.6 - I can't open the sidebar with Ctrl+Shift+B, only the too-long process of right-clicking on 'Adblock' and clicking 'Open Adblock Plus Sidebar'.
Last edited by Peng on January 20th, 2006, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

I get that, too (and I dont have the organize status bar extension), but I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the extension is working.

A work around to get it to quit saying that is to middle click on it twice (I think) to turn it off & back on.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Peng

Post by Peng »

Maybe that message appears when it doesn't load fast enough, but still eventually loads? If so, maybe it should check every 500ms for 60 seconds or something. I doubt it's a very costly process.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
orizng

Post by orizng »

Im using seamonkey, how can I uninstall adblock+ if I need to?
DarkOne123

Post by DarkOne123 »

Go to "Tools" click "Extensions" go thru the list until you find "AdBlock Plus" right click it and then click "uninstall" you need to restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.
Peng

Post by Peng »

DarkOne123 wrote:Go to "Tools" click "Extensions" go thru the list until you find "AdBlock Plus" right click it and then click "uninstall" you need to restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.

Read the first three words of his post.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
DarkOne123

Post by DarkOne123 »

Peng wrote:
DarkOne123 wrote:Go to "Tools" click "Extensions" go thru the list until you find "AdBlock Plus" right click it and then click "uninstall" you need to restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.

Read the first three words of his post.

lol, for some weird reason I thought it said "GreaseMonkey" lol

My mind hasn't been in the right place recently I have been trying to find a job and it's starting to get to me.
Peng

Post by Peng »

DarkOne123 wrote:lol, for some weird reason I thought it said "GreaseMonkey" lol

Ah. I could see that. "Greasemonkey" is "SeaMonkey", only with the "Gr" and the "Sea" moved around.

DarkOne123 wrote:My mind hasn't been in the right place recently I have been trying to find a job and it's starting to get to me.

Oh. Well, good luck.. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
DynaBMan

Some Yahoo ads are getting through

Post by DynaBMan »

I don't have a problem with the new version, but I have noticed that some Yahoo ads are getting through. I didn't start noticing them until after I installed the new version of AdBlock Plus. I am seeing them mainly on the Yahoo news photos page, at the bottom, below the pictures. I have tried to right click them (I actually thought they were flash) and I didn't even get a right click menu at all, not even a flash menu. Any ideas as to how to stop these ads?

EDIT: Never mind about the Yahoo ads. For some reason, there was a filter in my filterset that was disabling AdBlock on those pages.
LJ
My best friend is my wife!!
Political Realities
orizng

Post by orizng »

lol. u guys