Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
rtk

Add another convert!

Post by rtk »

Gotta go with paulfox on this one myself, it's very noticeably faster than AdBlock Plus 0.5.11.2 on my setup. I waited until 6.02 was out (but didn't try the upgrade) and was shocked with how quickly I made the now permanent transition.

Thought I'd hate the sidebar, but I find I actually quite like it now, same goes for the mouse gesture. If there is any features missing, they are not missed by me. quickblock? never heard of it before yesterday. And what the heck's a DIV again? (please don't answer that)

I'll add more kudos to the stack for Micheal, who we all know well deserves it. What both of these developers understand is how to communicate with the user, something the original adblock team apparently forgot long before I switched to Firefox, or never knew, I don't know which.

What I'm most thrilled about is not only a solid extension, but also the open discussion about feature requests (notwithstanding the naming issue) and a responsive developer. If this Wladimir fellow isn't careful, he'll join Mr Tech and CPU/Onemen in my hero list.

How about a toolbar icon for the sidebar? Not at all important of course, but would be a nice option for some of us, myself included. As far as the UI is concerned... I'd wager that for many of us, the UI consisted mainly of the icon/text on the status bar, it's the one extension I never "played" with, just installed and used filterset.G, then forgot about it besides the occasional disable to make sure it wasn't blocking something it wasn't supposed to.
rtk
sternox

Post by sternox »

how the heck do you get rid of the sidebar once it is up ???
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

@sternox: Just click on the little red "X" in the top right corner of the sidebar.

@rtk: I'm with you in that if there "are" any icons added, they be on the toolbar and NOT the status bar, which I choose not to even show. Michael (the angels sang!) had that circle with line through it in 0.5, which displayed options including "show blockable elements." Wladimir's sidebar will show that soon, and CTRL SHIFT B isn't a bad option to just "leave alone," either. I like this thing lean and mean and small footprint, and adding stuff will just get it up to a large, bloated size again. If there HAS to be an icon through popular demand, please let be in the toolbar!
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

paulfox wrote:[...] If there HAS to be an icon through popular demand, please let be in the toolbar!

Agreed. And for those who want at all costs a statusbar icon, there exists an extension (the name escapes me at the moment) which allows placing any toolbar icons on the statusbar, transparently to whoever (extension, theme, or whatever) created the icon.
Best regards,
Tony
xpgeek

Post by xpgeek »

Love it. Awesome. I see no probs, like person said above, I never used quickblock, and I don't even know what DIV actually means or does either.

One thing, one tiny little thing, I would like to suggest, is to be able to move the adblock word around on the statusbar. I could do this in the last adblock plus.

Pic to show what I mean :

The theme I use has a little lock icon there ALL the time, and with the last adblock plus I could click and drag and move the word adblock to the left side of the lock where it just looks much much better then on the right side of it.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

xpgeek: You can use Organize Status Bar to move any status bar item to wherever you want it.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
xpgeek

Post by xpgeek »

Oh awesome, even better ! Thank you for that extension. I can now not only move but just hide the lock completely, theres one on the address bar too and I don't even need the one at the bottom. You just totally made my day, thanks again.
jcer6811

Post by jcer6811 »

I notice the "adblock image" context menu item doesn't always show up... it shows up during some browsing sessions, but not in others, and lasts for the duration of the session. I don't know if it's a bug in ABP6 or a conflict with other extensions. Anyone else noticing this?
Firefox 3.0b5 (2008032620); Windows XP SP2
GrizzlyCat

Like the Ab+ 0.6 but chill out the excitement a bit

Post by GrizzlyCat »

I like the Ab+ 0.6 but chill out the excitement a bit

I had to return to Ab+ 0.5 because 0.6 can’t whitelist individual objects in the site been viewed. The @@ works for the entire site.

For me its crucial and I think I’ll sit this one out and wait for the next version.
Old jr!

Post by Old jr! »

You can get it here, but for some reason when I try & install it I get a security warning stating I'm using an older version of firefox
(is that Mozilla's way of saying it isn't released yet?)
Is there a setting I can change so that it shows that I actually am using 1.5?

http://forum.pierceive.com/viewtopic.php?t=37

Wladimir Palant wrote:I've tried finding it myself, without success. mcm told me that he submitted it. I guess you'll have to wait for addons.mozilla.org to approve it (happens pretty fast lately).
ourasi

Post by ourasi »

What? I loaded Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.2.8 from addons.mozilla.org this morning at 5:12 GMT. Seems to work with AB 0.6.0.2 in Firefox.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Toolbar Icon: yes, the toolbar is definitely a better place for icons, especially considered that the toolbar can be customized. The problem so far: there isn't a nice icon that can be easily associated with Adblock Plus.

Whitelisting: it is about to be rethought. It seems I misunderstood some things about whitelists in Adblock Plus 0.5.

@Schrade: thanks a lot for the tip. Organize Status Bar is definitely more than a built-in feature in Adblock Plus could ever offer.

Filterset.G Updater: seems addons.mozilla.org has approved it. I can change the developer's comments then. Version 0.2.8 (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... hp?id=1136) is compatible with Adblock Plus 0.6.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

Wladimir - the new extension looks good, but it doesn't work with Sage. Personally, I do as much rss browsing on the internet as otherwise, and the new adblock is telling me that it can't block ads there because they're not remote. What's going on here, and is this fixable? Unfortunately, it's a make or break issue.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Hm, Adblock Plus 0.6 doesn't block remote ads in local pages. Guess this will have to be changed back if it breaks with Sage.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

I'm currently running 0.6 in one system and 0.5.11.2 on the one I'm on right now. I haven't really noticed much in the way of a performance difference, but, hey, for one thing, I haven't used that computer much (the specs on both systems in question, by the way, are exactly the same in every way except one has a slightly larger hard drive and the other has a better sound card), and, for another thing, this thing was incredibly fast to begin with. But anyway, on the one I'm running 0.6 on, with its specific needs, I doubt I'll ever have use for the statusbar element, so it would be nice to have a quick and easy option from within the extension to get rid of it, after all (it seems a waste to install a whole other extension just for that one thing, when, on that particular system, I don't like to waste extensions [it has a lot less than my current one, which is listed in the config in the link in my sig]).
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps