Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

edit: removed, no need for YH filters.
Last edited by paulfox on January 20th, 2006, 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

orizng wrote:Im using seamonkey, how can I uninstall adblock+ if I need to?

Try the ExtensionManager extension. It's what I use, and it uninstalled AP 0.6 on SeaMonkey fine when I tried.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
orizng

Post by orizng »

thanks, xerblade, it works
xpgeek

Post by xpgeek »

Ohhh, I didn't know I could just middle-click the adblock word on the status bar to disable/enable it. Thats awesome, I love that.

And figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on status bar icon. Personally, I don't even care. I'm fine with the way it is now, as long as the word in the status bar doesn't change to say 'adblock plus' I prefer having the word adblock there.
DarkOne123

Post by DarkOne123 »

xpgeek wrote:Ohhh, I didn't know I could just middle-click the adblock word on the status bar to disable/enable it. Thats awesome, I love that.

And figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on status bar icon. Personally, I don't even care. I'm fine with the way it is now, as long as the word in the status bar doesn't change to say 'adblock plus' I prefer having the word adblock there.

Cool that is a new and better way for me to disable AdBlock when I need to :D
Also same here I like the "Adblock" in the statusbar, if you do not like it download "Organize Statusbar" its an extension which can help you move remove etc the statusbar. I also agree with you on that I prefer it say "Adblock" and NOT "Adblock Plus"
jayster46

Post by jayster46 »

there is also an all but undocumented mouse gesture (leftclickhold/horizontal drag) on the word Adblock, in the statusbar for enable/disable.

scope out the official pages at http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/index.html
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060121 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2006012113

I'm getting 0.6.0.4 is not a valid install package when I try to update
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

Loving the changelog. Can't wait to try it.

Edit: the build hit AMO. DL'ing.

Edit again: beautiful. The sage fix works like a charm. The build looks great.

With the smaller size, etc, I think we've got a winner. And I think I've discovered that I was getting a small memory leak from the other adblock anyway.

Nice.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Ok, Adblock Plus 0.6.0.4 has been released (http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/changelog-0.6.0.4.html). Major changes are:

- Context menu problems have been fixed
- Toolbar icon has been added
- Whitelist now applies to individual items as well

What is still on the list for 0.6.1:
- Simplify sidebar installation in Mozilla Suite/Seamonkey
- Make it possible to "detach" the sidebar from the browser window and make it "float"
- Add filter synchronization
- Add first localizations
Yochanan

Post by Yochanan »

With mcm's version of Adblock Plus combined with Adblock Plus Filterset.G Updater, when I add a custom filter to Adblock Plus, it automatically saves it to the user defined filters in the Filterset.G Updater so it's not overwritten the next time the Filterset.G list is updated. With Adblock Plus 0.6.x.x, it does not do this. I've got the latest versions (AP 0.6.0.4, APFU 0.28) installed. I know this extension is only a few days old and still being actively worked on, I was wondering if this is going to be implemented. Otherwise I like this version better so far, browsing is faster. Thanks.
Wladimir Palant

@Peter(6): addons.mozilla.org shows that an update is awailable before the XPI is on the download server. That was only for ~10 minutes though I think.

@Everybody wondering about why this particular icon: http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/faq.html#cockroach

@Peng: Link to RegExp syntax - maybe. Space between filters - it is necessary to make the editor fit into the line. I should try to make the editor smaller later (can't promice anything however, I don't want to break any themes). dump'ing into console - yes, I should handle the usual but unsupported QI requests, will fix it later. Tooltips on the dropdown: guess they can be added but this might be bad user interface. Column sorting in the sidebar is on the plan for 0.6.2. Resizing is not, it is rather pointless here. Window with all blockable items: the sidebar will be "detachable". http://www.blogger.com/start - might be better now, I fixed a caching bug. If not - you can send me you regexps (trev@gtchat.de). The other points a dealt with in the new release I think.

@orizng: Uninstalling in SeaMonkey isn't exactly a well-supported procedure. It can easily trash your installation. I prefered to remove the uninstall routine, there are already enough things people blame me for :)

@Everybody speaking out for a statusbar icon: I'll consider this. I don't want more configuration options though, so the icon would be the only option then. Btw, the plan is to make Adblock Plus not show up in the status bar by default after a few versions - toolbar is the prefered alternative.

@ASDF Commander: please read http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/faq.html#divblock. As to the other suggestion - not sure, need to investigate this.
Wladimir Palant

@Yochanan: Filter synchronization to be added for 0.6.1 will separate user's filters and externally synchronized filters. This won't work with Filterset.G though because it doesn't supply a fixed list URL. Support might be added later, depends on what G will demand for it.
orizng

Post by orizng »

well, if i can not uninstall, i really cant use it, lol, i think this is very important, but maybe not so important to other people, lol, whatever, good luck ! its a nice ext anyway.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

I personally find the ability to uninstall extensions extremely important in SeaMonkey, more so than in Firefox.
If only because upgrading directly from an older version to a newer version of an extension in SeaMonkey, without uninstalling the old one first, can tend to be really buggy. Plus there's the fact that SeaMonkey is still very much in testing stages (still far too buggy for casual use, IMO), and it is often important to uninstall various extensions for debug purposes.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Peng

Post by Peng »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Peng: Link to RegExp syntax - maybe.

Thanks. I noticed that it's linked on the FAQ page, but I think it would be good to add it back to the Help menu, too.

Wladimir Palant wrote:Space between filters - it is necessary to make the editor fit into the line. I should try to make the editor smaller later (can't promice anything however, I don't want to break any themes).

Yeah, I saw that. It looks like Adblock Plus 0.5 uses less padding around the text in the editor. (If you highlight it, there's a few pixels on the top and bottom in Adblock Plus 0.6.) That would help some. Seems it uses less padding when not in the editor, too. I think it uses the same size font, so just reducing padding (or margins, if it uses that) would take care of it. The padding and margins show are 0px in the DOM Inspector now that I've checked, but could it be reduced with negatives?

Wladimir Palant wrote:dump'ing into console - yes, I should handle the usual but unsupported QI requests, will fix it later.

Thanks.

Wladimir Palant wrote:Tooltips on the dropdown: guess they can be added but this might be bad user interface.

Well, you need to be able to see the whole URL.

Wladimir Palant wrote:Column sorting in the sidebar is on the plan for 0.6.2. Resizing is not, it is rather pointless here.

Thanks. And you're right, resizing isn't needed. Though actually, someone could reduce it and still be able to see part of the type and use it. If it's simple to add, why not? People who don't want to resize it don't have to, and people who do can.

Wladimir Palant wrote:Window with all blockable items: the sidebar will be "detachable".

Cool. :)

Wladimir Palant wrote:http://www.blogger.com/start - might be better now, I fixed a caching bug. If not - you can send me you regexps (trev@gtchat.de).

I did use pretty complex regular expressions, but it doesn't make sense why they would be so slow on that page and not other big pages.

No improvement. Oh well. I can live without the filters.

Wladimir Palant wrote:The other points a dealt with in the new release I think.

Okay. :)

Thanks for all your work, Wladimir. :)

Ctrl+Shift+B and Ctrl+Shift+A still aren't working.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook