Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@CPU: Yes, good point. I've removed "Adblock Plus" from all menu items but "Enable Adblock Plus". I think it should be clear what is meant here, though "open sidebar" might sound a little strange.
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Hey Wladimir. Amazing what can happen in just one day. :P I'm happy that there won't be three different adblocks, but there's definitley room for two considering that they both appear to have slightly different goals in mind for the end-user.

Looks great so far!
canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan »

I like the fact that it's so small and efficient. Good stuff!
DarkOne123

Post by DarkOne123 »

Before the command to disable Adblock Plus was ALT+DEL+B but now that opens up the Sidebar, anyone know what the new disable command is ?
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

And i'm going back to 0.5.11.2. If i have an option in Customize window to use icon/text/icon and text and chose to use icons only why should i be forced to see the one and only whole word 'Adblock' (thanks god it's not 'Adblock Plus', i guess)? My toolbar is full and i don't need another button there. Unfortunately, tonymec, Organize Status Bar ext. doesn't play well with Status Buttons (you're talking about) and i see no reason for installing 2 more exts. to do what one does (or used to).
And, again, - sidebar. I don't use it, it's destructive (to me) having to resize it, click to close, etc. But i do like MrTech' suggestion and may have gotten used to it in time.
Yes, small things but do add to discomfort. It does 'feel' light, does the job and hopefully whitelisting will be worked out eventually but at this time it just doesn't appeal to me.

Post by ******** »

what's wrong with Adblock Plus 0.6+'s whitelisting?
is it that you can't whitelist specific elements?
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Yes.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Wladimir - A comment about icons in the statusbar.

I am one of those who would appreciate the option of having an Adblock icon on the stausbar. To me, the stausbar is the correct place for icons for active programs/extensions like Adblock, NoScript, Statusbar Clock, infoRSS, etc. These are all programs with ongoing monitoring or other ongoing functionality. The toolbar, for me at least, is the place for buttons that, when pressed, open windows or tabs or cause Firefox to begin to perform one of its other native features - like open the bookmarks menu, open the extension manager, open the javascipt console, change to full screen view, refresh, go back or forward, print, etc.

Since the statusbar space is precious, I also think a small icon is better than the larger space taken up by the word "Adblock". Also, the full word "Adblock" is not as nice looking as a colorful icon representing an extension's "brand" image. I thought the best Adblock icon was from one of the early Adblock builds that used a bright solid red circle with a white X in the center all placed over but slightly offset to the word "AD". When Adblock was made inactive, the red circle turned gray. The whole thing was quite small yet very recognizable.

Just my 2 cents. . .

Keep up the good work!!
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

desertfox wrote:what's wrong with Adblock Plus 0.6+'s whitelisting?
is it that you can't whitelist specific elements?

Ayep.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
ASDF Commander

Post by ASDF Commander »

Thank you Wladimir,

AB 0.6 is a major improvement in speed vs. any other previous version. A fix for the cludgyness that accompanied adblock's previous versions was my most anticipated feature – I'm very happy to see that the slowdown wasn't inherent in ad blocking.

Feature requests:
-DIV checking on a per domain basis. (are you ever going to implement DIV Checking?)

-Sometimes going through the list of blockable elements and waiting for the item you want to block to be highlighted can be a real pain. Is there any way you could add a UI entry / shortcut that would turn your mouse cursor into a blockable element highlighter/blocker? So as you move your mouse around, it would highlight different elements that could be added to the filter list when you click on them.
Calain80

Site Whitelisting

Post by Calain80 »

From the FAQ:
I sometimes want Adblock Plus to be disabled. How can I do this most easily?

You can right-click on "Adblock" in the status bar to bring up its context menu. There you have an option to disable/reenable Adblock Plus. If this isn't fast enough, you middle-click on the word "Adblock" in the status bar, this will also disable and reenable Adblock Plus.

In the same context menu you also have the option to disable Adblock Plus on a certain page. It will add a filter like @@http://adblockplus.mozdev.org to the list — @@ at the beginning means that this filter defines pages where Adblock Plus should be disabled. You can add or modify those filters yourself of course. It's just like normal filters, feel free to use wildcards or regular expressions.

Do you only have one kind of whitelisting in 0.6?
AB+ 0.5 had two versions:
  1. Site Whitelist filter:
    As first action after loading a site AB+ checked if the Site-UR(I/L) matched a Site-Whitelist-Filter. If it did match, AB+ did nothing. (Like being disabled completely.)
  2. Normal whitelist filter:
    If an element matched a whitelist filter, this element would always be displayed even if it mached an normal filter.

I agree that site-blacklisting makes no sense, but these two different versions of normal filters make sense:
The normal whitelist filter are making it a lot easier to compile an small filterlist. (Generate a few universal blocking filters and unblock the false positives with whitelist filters.
The Site-Whitelist-Filter are good for supporting you favorite sites or to disable adblock for sites, that do not work with adblock enabled (intended or not).

'Cause of this, I think it would be good, if both versions of filter would be supported.

OFF TOPIC: This is also why the filters in my UI suggestion where in three tabs (normal filters, site filters mainly for whitelisting and site filters for supporting): They do three different things. For AB+ 0.6 we would only need two separate tabs (one for normal filters and one for whitelisted sites).

You might even make the site whitelisting completely hidden. The two menu items just add the URL to the hidden site-whitelisting-list. Just save the time a site-whitelist filter was last matched. If a filter wasn't matched for some time (two to four weeks) remove it again. (this might be also be useful for normal filters ;))
jcer6811

Post by jcer6811 »

Seems like folks (at AMO) are complaining about not being able to see the list of blockable items... Perhaps it would help to provide a toolbar button, an entry in the tools menu, and/or bringing up the context menu when left-clicking the status bar icon (this would keep it consistent with extensions like NoScript and Permit Cookies). I don't have any problems with anything as they are now, but when I first used ABP6 I couldn't find how to activate the list of blockable items on the sidebar either.

Anyways nice extension, seems Firefox is more responsive now.

Something I just thought of... I notice there are some sites out there (particularly forums with annoying avatars) where I would prefer not to see externally linked images. Would it be possible to add these sites to a special list? Firefox options lets you do this, but only as a global setting instead of per site. thx.
Firefox 3.0b5 (2008032620); Windows XP SP2
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Adblock Plus icon: check out http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12889. I have attached an icon that has been suggested and seems to do the job. I'd rather not put it into the status bar but into the toolbar however (I agree with the previous commenters on this). I'll also provide an option not to show "Adblock" in the status bar then. Goal is to make this option the default setting some versions later.
shawn^

Post by shawn^ »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Adblock Plus icon: check out http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12889. I have attached an icon that has been suggested and seems to do the job. I'd rather not put it into the status bar but into the toolbar however (I agree with the previous commenters on this). I'll also provide an option not to show "Adblock" in the status bar then. Goal is to make this option the default setting some versions later.

that looks like the bugmenot icon

Post by ******** »

shawn^ wrote:
Wladimir Palant wrote:Adblock Plus icon: check out http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12889. I have attached an icon that has been suggested and seems to do the job. I'd rather not put it into the status bar but into the toolbar however (I agree with the previous commenters on this). I'll also provide an option not to show "Adblock" in the status bar then. Goal is to make this option the default setting some versions later.

that looks like the bugmenot icon

it does. don't like.
but it doesn't matter to me, cuz only use the statudbar text anyway, even when i had adblock plus 0.5.11.2.

btw, proof of adblock plus 0.6.0.3's stability:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 56#2032056