Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

I junked AB+ .6.0.3, since it removed the context menu for my other extensions, like Scrapbook, Webdeveloper, Noscript, Tag this, etc, so I switched back to the more reliable .5.11.2 ... maybe it's because I'm using FF 1.5.0.1 RC1, but I doubt that'd be the problem
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

0.6.0.3 fixed the OK button not clearing the filter menu after an edit or copy/paste to filterlist. This was partially fixed in 0.6.0.1, and now seems resolved fully. When editing a filter, you can click on another filter somewhere else to "finalize it," and the hit OK to clear - or just hit OK ONCE and new filter is finalized AND menu cleared.

Thanks, by the way, for consecutively numbering Builds ("0.6.0.3") - helps in archiving previous versions properly.
Last edited by paulfox on January 19th, 2006, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Ok, Adblock Plus 0.6.0.3 has been released (http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/changelog-0.6.0.3.html). Major changes are:

- Tooltip in the sidebar now shows what filter blocked the item
- "Check parent links" works in a more consistent way

That means that from the seven points listed on the plan for 0.6.1 five are done (two will need some improvement still). Now the only really visible change for 0.6.1 should be filter subscriptions (and grouping of filters in the preferences dialog to make it unproblematic). We are good on schedule (plan was to release 0.6.1 around two weeks after 0.6) and I'm slowing down releasing unless a really critical bug is found. It has been some crazy two days and I have real work to do :)
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on January 19th, 2006, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

ok, so far I guess the changelog between 0.6 and 0.6.0.3 gives us all a good feeling that you are definitely committed to updating this puppy, but I have so concerns and questions:

- can you post a comparison of feature that you have and that the base adblock and the adblock 0.5 version have that you don't have and vice-versa. for example you have sidebar, but you don't have statusbar options, etc.

features and suggestions:
- can you spell out the features you currently include, for example is whitelisting support, very vague about this.
- as crazy as this might seem in the sidebar adding a image or text preview to the bottom half would be FANTASTIC, that way I can preview any blocked and non-blocked images, css, js their instead of on the page, this is especially useful when you have a really long page and can't see the image borders that flash, etc.
- drop-n-drag support for statusbar icon has been there for a very long time and it would be great if it came back
- having statusbar icon, text, etc options are really missed, having text is not my defacto for statusbar and users should have options.
- since you now have an options menu, you should split out the import/export/remove fitlers options into their own menu
- options to sync for files would be good for all the non-filterg or my custom filters, having an option to export the non-filterg entries or something like that would be good.
- sorting by type or address in sidebar
- remove tip of the day link in pref help menu and just add a direct link to the homepage
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Wladimir, there is a (serious) leak:

reproduce:
1. Open Firefox w/o sidebar , with blank homepage (with dbaron's runwithnspr.bat)
2. Press [Adblock] in the statusbar
3. Close the dialog and close Firefox

Check nspr.log

Code: Select all

Summary

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060119 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2006011910
Adblock 0.6.0.3

Leaked 5 out of 8 DOM Windows
Leaked 4 out of 32 documents
Leaked 0 out of 4 docshells
Details

Leaked outer window 1ab4c38 at address 1ab4c38.
Leaked outer window 20d0ce0 at address 20d0ce0.
Leaked inner window 21bc560 (outer 20d0ce0) at address 21bc560.
... with URI "about:blank".
Leaked outer window 266e1c8 at address 266e1c8.
Leaked inner window 2732550 (outer 266e1c8) at address 2732550.
... with URI "chrome://adblockplus/content/settings.xul".
Leaked document at address 21c0a90.
... with URI "about:blank".
Leaked document at address 272bf38.
Leaked document at address 26e1870.
... with URI "jar:file:///C:/Programmas/Firefox/ff30trunk/firefox/chrome/toolkit.jar!/content/global/bindings/menulist.xml".
... with URI "chrome://global/content/bindings/menulist.xml".
Leaked document at address 26c1c10.
... with URI "jar:file:///C:/Programmas/Firefox/ff30trunk/firefox/chrome/toolkit.jar!/content/global/bindings/listbox.xml".
... with URI "chrome://global/content/bindings/listbox.xml".
Last edited by Peter(6) on January 19th, 2006, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
DarkOne123

Post by DarkOne123 »

paulfox wrote:Good suggestion. RIP works only on the sites you choose, and you can select "for domain." Once those sites are loaded in cache they load much better than blocking DIVs with AB 0.5. Even if cached, DIV blocking in AdBlock 0.5 was jerky and slow. With RIP, it isn't.

Combined with this new 0.6 it's terrific.

I know, I use it on TV.com and few other websites to remove the tables where the ads were etc etc.

Schrade wrote:xpgeek: You can use Organize Status Bar to move any status bar item to wherever you want it.

Thanks I needed something like this.
Wladimir Palant

@mrtech: Please read previous posts here on status bar icon and reordering in the status bar.

I'll consider making a separate menu for things that aren't really options.

Sorting in the sidebar: there is already a bug about it, see http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/bugs.html

The homepage link is in the About dialog where it belongs. The help menu is where people look for information so "tip of the day" is very much valid there. I simply have to come around and actually write some tips...

@Peter(6): Thanks for the report, I'll investigate this. I don't think it really is a leak though. The way Adblock Plus works now it will free things somewhat later than usual - this is reported as a memory leak then. This doesn't have any effect on real browsing.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Peter(6): Thanks for the report, I'll investigate this. I don't think it really is a leak though. The way Adblock Plus works now it will free things somewhat later than usual - this is reported as a memory leak then. This doesn't have any effect on real browsing.
Ok
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
Wladimir Palant

@mrtech: Forgot one thing. Filter synchronization is on the plan for Adblock Plus 0.6.1, that's the only major thing left.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Well, I would say fixing the whitelisting would be somewhat major :) It's what is keeping me from using Adblock Plus 0.6.0.3 and stop using Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Wladimir Palant: sounds good to me, any consideration to the sidebar preview idea?

good work, now go get some rest ;)
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Wladimir Palant

Well, that isn't a major thing in terms of programming and it isn't a major thing in terms of user perception - most users won't notice it :)
But this has to be done before 0.6.1 as well, you are right. And making the sidebar easier to use in Mozilla Suite. And adding some locales.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

What about my sage problem? Any idea of when that could be fixed?
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Wladimir Palant

@mrtech: Does middle-click on an item do? Other than that - Firefox 1.5 has <canvas> that might be possible to use for something like this. I'll probably look into it later but right now there are more important things on the plan.
CPU

Post by CPU »

one small annoyance..

in the context menu from the status bar, can adblock plus not constantly be shown as much

open adblock plus preferences
open adblock plus sidebar
disable adblock plus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403