Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

desertfox wrote:
paulfox wrote:I've reverted back to 0.6.0.3 "stable".

why did you revert? what's wrong with 0.6.0.4+?

Nothing! 0.6.0.4+ is super and fixes the "small icons" issue, and I'll admit it is very handy to have middle click disable and the drop down.
I just liked 0.6.0.3 because it's 28k and I didn't care about the icon. 0.6.0.4 was loaded yesterday and I'm keeping it, but with 1280x1024 rez and small icons, the "bug" looks more like a line anyway. I read adum's post regarding re-packing jar manually, and tried that 6 ways for Sunday a couple of days ago in fact - but for some reason it doubles the .xpi size on each edit. You end up with a 108k xpi whether folders are deleted and then amended ones added, or amended folders brought in to replace. I got flummoxed and said the hell with it. I've got other stuff to do.

It's a bug icon. I can deal with its appearance if I choose to use it. If there's a keyboard command for disable, any icon's probably outta here anyway, but it's nice to be able to have it and it work. There's nothing wrong with 0.6.0.3 either, but 0.6.0.4+ is a step up. The only time I'd disable is for testing, and I don't change prefs.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

Paul,

Have a look at this method of changing the icons. You do not even need to touch the xpi so you do not need to have to redo it each time you upgrade.

Nick
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Peter(6): Is it confirmed that this happens with Adblock Plus 0.6 as well? From the look of it this is a Gecko bug and not an Adblock issue anyway - and it should be fixed in Gecko. Mind you that trunk isn't the same as a stable branch.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Peter(6): Is it confirmed that this happens with Adblock Plus 0.6 as well? From the look of it this is a Gecko bug and not an Adblock issue anyway - and it should be fixed in Gecko. Mind you that trunk isn't the same as a stable branch.
Yes, I tested it with all 0.6 versions, the crashes even happen when the filters are disabled.
If I disable the extension, the crashes are history.
I know it's a core bug, but if there would be an easy way to avoid it than I rather see that happen (which is probably easier/quicker than waiting for the core bug to be fixed)
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
GeeKcanon

Post by GeeKcanon »

paulfox wrote:do several ads on a site and then look for what they had in common for a regex, if one didn't already apply. Why not do it sensibly: click properties, compile the list in Notepad, then (if you have trouble making regex's) visit this site:
http://adblock.free.fr/optimize/
and compile them into a regex?

God bless you for sharing that!! I'd been wishing for something like that.. and whoa.. there it is. :) Hopefully it'll build a nice regex from multiple single ads from one page.
Bazon

Post by Bazon »

Peter(6) wrote:@Vladimir

is there anything you could do to prevent
#322414[Core:Plug-ins]-frequent random crashes [@ _PR_MD_ATOMIC_DECREMENT], especially with adblock [Win]
from happening (This is only on 1.9a1 trunk)

Does this bug affect all (three) AdBlock Versions?
At least my (Fx version [trunk] + Extensions see signature) subjective feeling is:
Crash frequency increased since I changed to AdBlock Plus 0.6* from AdBlock 0.5*. (From crash circa once per week to crash nearly every day, using the same trunk version for eleven days. [But also added two extensions since changing from AB 0.5to AB 0.6: 'Organize Statusbar' and 'Fission 0.3'])
But it could really be everything else, using 49 extensions like I do, so my experience doesn't really count...
...so I's like to know what others experienced with AdBlock+ Trunk.
Mugros

Post by Mugros »

I have a problem with this site:
http://news.com.com/Sexy+booth+babes+ba ... g=nefd.top
There are several iframes on this page. I can see grey "frame"-entries show up in the ABP0.6 sidebar but they vanish after a second, so i can't adjust filters or see which blocked the iframe. But it still looks like the iframes are loaded nonetheless. Can't ABP0.6 handle iframes correctly?
Bazon

Post by Bazon »

Mugros wrote:There are several iframes on this page. I can see grey "frame"-entries show up in the ABP0.6 sidebar but they vanish after a second, so i can't adjust filters or see which blocked the iframe. But it still looks like the iframes are loaded nonetheless. Can't ABP0.6 handle iframes correctly?

Same with this site.
To reprdoce this, add *annonce* to your Filterlist and visit the page.
(In fact it is easy to reproduce it there, as there are only two AdBlockable items, the two which vanish soon...)

With AdBlock Plus 0.5*, the both entries didn't vanish, that's the way I found the wrong filter.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Bazon wrote:
Peter(6) wrote:@Vladimir

is there anything you could do to prevent
#322414[Core:Plug-ins]-frequent random crashes [@ _PR_MD_ATOMIC_DECREMENT], especially with adblock [Win]
from happening (This is only on 1.9a1 trunk)

Does this bug affect all (three) AdBlock Versions?
At least my (Fx version [trunk] + Extensions see signature) subjective feeling is:
Crash frequency increased since I changed to AdBlock Plus 0.6* from AdBlock 0.5*. (From crash circa once per week to crash nearly every day, using the same trunk version for eleven days. [But also added two extensions since changing from AB 0.5to AB 0.6: 'Organize Statusbar' and 'Fission 0.3'])
But it could really be everything else, using 49 extensions like I do, so my experience doesn't really count...
...so I's like to know what others experienced with AdBlock+ Trunk.
Yeah, i can repro the crashes with adblock 0.6 as only extension on trunk
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
michichi

easy opening and editing of .jar and .xpi archives

Post by michichi »

hi, while looking for advice how to change the uggly compactmenu extension icon,

which made me crazy, i used the search in mozillazine about editing of .xpi and .jar

files, and found a recommendation of great freeware compressing program - IZArc,

which allows editing inside archives, works with dozens of formats, and is very easy to

configure and use - and you dont need to change any file extensions etc.

i made it to read any archive, i have now very nice real fox icon as my compact menu

here is the page i downloaded it: http://www.izarc.org/

michaela
"I don´t know where we are going, or how we will get there, but when we will get there, we will be there, and that´s something, even if it´s nothing...." (unknown)
Old jr!

Post by Old jr! »

Can somebody help me out here?

This site: http://www.sportsnet.ca slows down my browser big time.
It seems there's flash, realmedia & something called ac.rnm.ca
on here too.
Does anybody have a good filter to get this page to work?
It takes up to 30 seconds to load.
Bazon

Post by Bazon »

Thread split: Discussion about AdBlock filters now in this Thread.

(was originally between the last Post of Peter(6) and michichi)

This split thread includes one comment which fits better here:
Wladimir Palant wrote:@Mugros: Yes, I just filed http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12977 - blocked frames are removed from the list, that shouldn't happen and I hope to fix it soon. This is merely a user interface annoyance however, it doesn't affect frames that haven't been blocked and the actual blocking has nothing to do with it anyway.

@Peter(6): I didn't do any testing, but it doesn't look like I could do anything there. From the description it seems that what triggers this bug is simply blocking of a Flash ad (content policy returning REJECT).
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

jr! wrote:Can somebody help me out here?

This site: http://www.sportsnet.ca slows down my browser big time.
It seems there's flash, realmedia & something called ac.rnm.ca
on here too.
Does anybody have a good filter to get this page to work?
It takes up to 30 seconds to load.

Loaded for me in about 5 seconds; I have cable hookup but it is a "slow loader" indeed. A lot going on there PLUS it loads Java (proper Java, not javascript)- 2 filters I have took out a LOT of banner ads/images and may help you; first is primary (stopped about 10) and second one is one of my own to block odd "crap" on Palm Pilot sites, but may give YOU blocking you do NOT want - try @ least the first one, and second if it helps you; 2nd is SPLIT so as not to widen forum page, it should be entered as one line, and could be edited to include only the "images /ad / sponsor/ tv shared" elements. Disabling Java (as well as javascript) w/NoScript would help too, probably. I don't use that any more so I don't know for sure. These filters block a lot, though.

/banner(s|\d|id=\d*)?[\W_]/

/(images\.itnation|jkware|tealpoint)\.com/images|im(age(s/((ad|sponsor)s|tvshared)|
\.weather\.com/web/services)|g\.photobucket\.com/albums)/
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
patfla

Overlay flash

Post by patfla »

Hi,

Moved to Adblock Plus (from Adblock) when I moved to FF 1.5.

In general this has worked well (and I assume that, under-the-hood, I'm having less problems with memory).

But one thing I miss: 'Overlay Flash'. In Adblock, you'd hit ctl+shift+f, it would find all flash on a page and overlay it.

I have found that in Adblock Plus I can to the 'Preferences' window (the window with the URLs for all components on the page); find one root name that differs from all the rest (say atdmt); put that in as a filter; and all ads (including hopefully flash) disappear from the page. Atdmt (or its like) are the (typically one) ad provider for a given page.

But it would be nice to have the direct 'Overlay Flash' back as well? (Or am I missing something - is it there in some fashion already?).

pat
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

In 0.6.0.4 the small icons don't change depending on the status. I looked at the CSS and found the problem. You need to have a space before the # in your style declaration.

A few things I'd like to see:

1. option to remove from tools menu
2. clicking on toolbar icon to open preferences, this is what the statusbar does
3. either get rid of the sidebar or give an option to open a window, i hate sidebars
4. fix whitelisting