Adblock Plus 0.6

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Erroneus wrote:Excellent plugin and I can understand you are using a cockroach icon, but the current icon isn't rather pretty, actualy it looks low-res and even uglier then the sage icon :O :)

But keep up the good work, looking forward to a "three-click adblock image" feature and a new icon ;)

I agree. It doesn't compare to the nice, pretty antialiased icons of most of the other extensions I have. It's better than having no icon at all, but I think it should be replaced. I guess the cockroach thing makes sense, but, I dunno, I don't like it.

I suggested something like the object tab, only just saying "AD" instead of "Adblock", with a nice red X or slash or circle-with-a-slash-thing over it.

Edit: Of course, the white box isn't as annoying as many ads are...
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Ok, thanks. Makes sense.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Cusser wrote:Ok, thanks. Makes sense.

A number of people have brought that up, but I would prefer having to install another extension than have Wladimir have to maintain some less-powerful code to do the same thing. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Indeed. I thought before that it would make sense to outsource this to another extension (back when I started using Adblock for the first time), but it's the only extension that's ever added anything to the status-bar for me, so the thought quickly passed.
Mugros

Post by Mugros »

For people who don't like the cockroach:
Save the images and replace the ones in the jar (it is a renamed zip)
foghorn

Post by foghorn »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Tooltips on the dropdown: guess they can be added but this might be bad user interface.

Peng wrote:Well, you need to be able to see the whole URL.

I know you are talking about dropdown list...
But sidebar has tooltips and we can see little more with it, but not whole url. bug?
Tooltip is good, we can see filter in effect with blocked items.
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

Thanks for giving me back my context menu, WP, now I can use AB+ .604! :)
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Mugros: Great work on those icons - got 'em saved. They look GREAT. Thanks . . .
I'm about to fiddle with the process; I open up the .xpi, find the .jar and open that, right? It's simply like chanfing max version #, but with an added "level?"

Then just replace, re-close? Hope it's that easy - I was a little thrown off by "(it is a renamed zip)"
OK, did that, but had to delete "original cockroach" after installing your images - was not given "do you want to replace" option for some reason. Anyway, loading now and we'll see! Hope they work, they're much better.
Last edited by paulfox on January 22nd, 2006, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
Erroneus

Post by Erroneus »

Great work on the icons, real simple :)

Go to X:\Documents and Settings\youruser\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\rntbvnau.default\extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}\chrome and rename adblockplus.jar to adblockplus.zip. Then open adblockplus.zip, delete abp-disabled.png and abp-enabled.png in it and add the new icon files. Rename it back to adblockplus.jar and restart FF :)

Works perfectly, all though i changed it around, i like the abp-disabled.png icon to act as the abp-enabled.png icon :)
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Thanks. I'll do it that way AFTER installation. I opened up .jar on 0.6.0.4 BEFORE installing, and did NOT rename to zip. Then installed it - "problem load" came up, and I lost an ince of bottom window space. I'm back to 0.6.03, but will follow your/Mugros' steps again, this type renaming.

Wouldn't these changes be better made to the extension BEFORE actually installing, rather than messing with your profile/extension folder? Anyway - thanks Erroneus for the break-down. I'm on it!
Mugros

Post by Mugros »

paulfox wrote:Wouldn't these changes be better made to the extension BEFORE actually installing, rather than messing with your profile/extension folder? Anyway - thanks Erroneus for the break-down. I'm on it!

I don't see this as a problem. As i said, always keep a backup copy. I think its is easier to edit it after installation. It would be tedious to reinstall the extension everytime i change just the icon.
I have edited extensions now and then, especially the old adblock to make it work with trunk releases.
But i would advice not to edit firefox configuration files. This can really mess things up.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Well, lads, not working for me. Please send donations to the "Paulfox needs a dunce cap" foundation . . . .
NO icon shows up, but drop-arrow does. I edited existing d10d . . . folder/chrome jar.

I'd like to know (side issue) why it's required to rename to zip. My zip utilities will open .jar files.
anyway, it's back to the bug. I use SMALL icons by the way, so I (for time being) am losing out on the disabled-image entirely. I switched to large icons for testing this, and still nothing. I'll play with it later; yours (Mugros) are certainly better. In meantime think I'll drop button altogether and just use CTRL_SH-A and CTRL-SH-B, as I'm used to.
Last edited by paulfox on January 22nd, 2006, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

paulfox wrote:[...] I'd like to know (side issue) why it's required to rename to zip. My zip utilities will open .jar files. [...]

In that case it's not required for you. On some systems, clicking on a .jar file's icon will open something else than a zip/unzip utility, or maybe the zip utility will refuse to process a .jar file, and those people can still access the innards of their jar files by temporarily renaming them to .zip.
Best regards,
Tony
Recall

Post by Recall »

Ahh at last an icon :) For those who would like even more control on the icon, d/load status buttons. Very handy for placing toolbar buttons on the status bar and positioning how you want.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Thanks tonymec!
@Recall: I'll check that out now and see if it allows me to put AB 0.6 status bar icon in toolbar and keep the mouse gesture. That would solve everything for me. Just reading the blurb
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... ox&id=1272
apparently it won't. Rats.

Addendum: Mugros: You really should send those to Wladimir!
His email is pretty easy to find, although I won't furnish it here. PM me if you need it and can't find it. They're excellent. I've reverted back to 0.6.0.3 "stable," but have saved them.