MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Tanker Bob wrote:Thanks for the help. I did not know that. However, under Local Install 4.1.1, I don't have the flash icon (or several others) anywhere, even under customize toolbars. It seems that 4.1.1 nails a number of other extensions besides AOIS, or it interferes with the theme. Although I've recovered some functions after disabling AIOS, it looks like I'll have to revert to 4.0 to get everything back. I'd rather do that than lose key extensions like flashblock.

you might seriously consider creating a new profile and readding extensions one by one as I've seen too many funky profiles that never really recover no matter what hacks ppl try.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

mrtech wrote:
Tanker Bob wrote:Thanks for the help. I did not know that. However, under Local Install 4.1.1, I don't have the flash icon (or several others) anywhere, even under customize toolbars. It seems that 4.1.1 nails a number of other extensions besides AOIS, or it interferes with the theme. Although I've recovered some functions after disabling AIOS, it looks like I'll have to revert to 4.0 to get everything back. I'd rather do that than lose key extensions like flashblock.

you might seriously consider creating a new profile and readding extensions one by one as I've seen too many funky profiles that never really recover no matter what hacks ppl try.

OK, I'll try that. I've lost a number of other extensions, including Download Them All, under 4.1.1. I've been hammering my setup since installing FF 1.5, so I don't doubt that there are remnants of stuff I've long deleted laying around.

Edit Added:
Still, the question remains why this wasn't an issue in 4.0 but is in 4.1 and 4.1.1. I just reverted to 4.0 after all this testing and the entire FF system works perfectly again, including all the extensions that 4.1.1 apparently disabled or overrode. I'll play with the profile this weekend, but it looks a lot like something in LI between 4.0 and 4.1 steps on other extensions and the toolbar/menu/status bar setups.
Last edited by Tanker Bob on February 9th, 2006, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
jayster46

Post by jayster46 »

Thanks for the Sunbird support Mel.
caurton

problem with Local_Install in SB

Post by caurton »

Mr Tech,
Thanks for this great extension!!! But after I updated to 4.1.1 in Firefox and Thunderbird I tried to install it into Sunbird and there is a compatiblity conflict with the installation. I think it has to do with the way they did the version numbering of the alpha release of Sunbird.
My current Sunbird Build is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051104 Mozilla Sunbird/0.3a1.
I did it with the Windows Installer version.
I tried altering the Max/MinVersion in the install.rdf file to no avail. Would appreciate your help.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 - Build ID: 20091102152451
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090302 Thunderbird/2.0.0.23 Mnenhy/0.7.6.666 - Build ID: 2009081210
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Tanker Bob wrote:OK, I'll try that. I've lost a number of other extensions, including Download Them All, under 4.1.1. I've been hammering my setup since installing FF 1.5, so I don't doubt that there are remnants of stuff I've long deleted laying around.

I hear, just seeing that for over 6 months and just in the last 4.0 to 4.1 support thread there were over 700 posting with other questions/features & bugs that have been fixed, this points directly at a profile or even possible a Firefox installation issue. Before creating the new profile, try uninstalling Firefox and delete everything except the components and plugins directories from the app path, reinstall and see if that helps, thanks.
mrtech

Re: problem with Local_Install in SB

Post by mrtech »

caurton wrote:Mr Tech,
Thanks for this great extension!!! But after I updated to 4.1.1 in Firefox and Thunderbird I tried to install it into Sunbird and there is a compatiblity conflict with the installation. I think it has to do with the way they did the version numbering of the alpha release of Sunbird.
My current Sunbird Build is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051104 Mozilla Sunbird/0.3a1.
I did it with the Windows Installer version.
I tried altering the Max/MinVersion in the install.rdf file to no avail. Would appreciate your help.

Special Notes:
<li> Smaller locale specific installer are available on my site: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/
<li> Mozilla Suite & Seamonkey users should continue using the full installer not the locale specific version.
<li> Sunbird users MUST use the locale specific installers since UMO currently does not handle min/max extension versioning properly
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mrtech,

have a button display problem on tb150 with mtil411.

if i select "use small icons" & "show = icons" when customizing the toolbar, the extension button from mtli forces the toolbar to GROW vertically when the button is selected. lookee

UNselected ...
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/1822 ... nunsel.jpg

selected ...
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/4058 ... nselec.jpg

this is obviously NOT a problem, but i figured you might want to know about it. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
rtk

Post by rtk »

mrtech wrote:
rtk wrote:... a context menu item in the EM to archive extensions with updates manually

sorry, yes I should be able to do this, but I have to work around how that menu is populated/drawn, it's dynamic so hiding "Archive..." when there is none might be tough.

For the title I didn't want to introduce any new strings so I'm actually using the string from the "Find Updates" button that way translators didn't have yet another string to translate before releasing. I might leave this as-is for now until I group some ideas I have to see what makes sense.

thanks.

Now, that makes sense, I should have known there was a good reason for "find updates". Thanks for the response Mel. For the archive in the EM, it was just a suggestion for a stop-gap solution until the auto-archive on update gets debugged. If it's more effort than it's worth, I'm sure we'd all rather you devote time to the main issue instead of a workaround.

One more pat on the back, incredible effort!
rtk
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy mrtech,

have a button display problem on tb150 with mtil411.

if i select "use small icons" & "show = icons" when customizing the toolbar, the extension button from mtli forces the toolbar to GROW vertically when the button is selected. lookee

UNselected ...
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/1822 ... nunsel.jpg

selected ...
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/4058 ... nselec.jpg

this is obviously NOT a problem, but i figured you might want to know about it. [*grin*]

lee

I've seen this happen and the fix kind of borks the display for all the other apps. which theme are u using? btw this annoyance appears to be resolved by the tb trunk builds, sorry.
take care,
whitebird

Post by whitebird »

Hello everyone. J have a question to the extension (MR Tech Local Install), can you add

those options:

- turing off and turing on of the tips witch are shown each time you pass the Toolbars area

and by the list of extensions Options Drop Down Menu,

- choosing whitch options are to be shown in the (Opens Extensions Manager) under the right

mouse button, J mean choosing functions, e.g: themes, extension, options etc.

- adding icons to the Status Bar

A ting error J have in Polish translator to the extension is that when J add extensions to

sidbar window, it cuts the button Find Updates.

Thanks a lot.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

mrtech wrote:I've seen this happen and the fix kind of borks the display for all the other apps. which theme are u using? btw this annoyance appears to be resolved by the tb trunk builds, sorry.
take care,

howdy mrtech,

i am using the default tbird theme. i can live with it ... as i said, it's not a deal breaker for me. i just wanted you to have the info just in case it related to something else.

thanks!

take care,
lee
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

mrtech wrote:I hear, just seeing that for over 6 months and just in the last 4.0 to 4.1 support thread there were over 700 posting with other questions/features & bugs that have been fixed, this points directly at a profile or even possible a Firefox installation issue. Before creating the new profile, try uninstalling Firefox and delete everything except the components and plugins directories from the app path, reinstall and see if that helps, thanks.

Well, you can make it over 701 now. I finally got QuickTime plugin working last weekend, so I didn't want to start from scratch. Instead, I created a new profile and populated the extensions starting with RoboForm and Local Install 4.1.1. I'm up to 27 extensions now and all is working swimmingly.

I seems that someone ought to write a program to cleanup a Firefox setup by deleting remnants in about:config from uninstalled stuff. I haven't found a way to manually delete old entries in about:config.

In any event, thank you very much for your quick help. This is a great extension that I certainly didn't want to lose!
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Tanker Bob wrote:
mrtech wrote:I hear, just seeing that for over 6 months and just in the last 4.0 to 4.1 support thread there were over 700 posting with other questions/features & bugs that have been fixed, this points directly at a profile or even possible a Firefox installation issue. Before creating the new profile, try uninstalling Firefox and delete everything except the components and plugins directories from the app path, reinstall and see if that helps, thanks.

Well, you can make it over 701 now. I finally got QuickTime plugin working last weekend, so I didn't want to start from scratch. Instead, I created a new profile and populated the extensions starting with RoboForm and Local Install 4.1.1. I'm up to 27 extensions now and all is working swimmingly.

I seems that someone ought to write a program to cleanup a Firefox setup by deleting remnants in about:config from uninstalled stuff. I haven't found a way to manually delete old entries in about:config.

In any event, thank you very much for your quick help. This is a great extension that I certainly didn't want to lose!

glad to hear that things are starting to smooth out. If you uninstall an extension and there are remnants in the prefs, just right-click and reset the value and upon restarting the browser the pref will be gone. note this will only work if you have uninstalled the extension, etc.

good luck.
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

mrtech wrote:glad to hear that things are starting to smooth out. If you uninstall an extension and there are remnants in the prefs, just right-click and reset the value and upon restarting the browser the pref will be gone. note this will only work if you have uninstalled the extension, etc.

good luck.

Thanks for the great tip!
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
caurton

Sunbird locale extension worked

Post by caurton »

Thanks for informing me about using the locale specific version of the extension. It worked great. And I could then uninstall About:config 0.12 from my Sunbird.
Great work!!!!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 - Build ID: 20091102152451
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090302 Thunderbird/2.0.0.23 Mnenhy/0.7.6.666 - Build ID: 2009081210