MozillaZine

MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mrtech

User avatar
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: May 15th, 2003, 7:46 am
Location: New York

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy mrtech,

this is NOT intended as a gripe - i know i sound like the grumpy old geezer that i really am [*grin*] - but what does ...
"
Added: Hidden setting to Show Attachment box for Email Compose window now has a Option window setting in the Miscellaneous tab
"

... have to do with "local install"? it makes me somewhat twitchy to see things so apparently unrelated show up in one of my fave exts. yes, i still twitch over a few of your other things in this ext. [*grin*]

take care,
lee

it was one line of code that resolved one of my biggest announces when emailing and I had to put it in a while back. Think of it as a nice and easy way to attach extensions or theme ;)
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

********
 
Posts: 947
Joined: August 24th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:23 pm

hi mrtech,
great work with the dev builds.

some userChrome.css hacks to make the Addons Manager look better in a slim sidebar:

Code: Select all
#getMore {
  display: none !important;
}
.selectedButtons {
  display: block !important;
}
.addonName {
  -moz-box-flex: 1 !important;
}

Will Pittenger

User avatar
 
Posts: 620
Joined: April 3rd, 2005, 6:10 pm
Location: Morton, IL

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:28 pm

I can confirm the double install is fixed in both Sunbird and TB. It is nice being able to move the button bar up too. I just wish the button bar objects could be placed on the existing upper bars like with the main windows.
Will Pittenger

mrtech

User avatar
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: May 15th, 2003, 7:46 am
Location: New York

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Will Pittenger wrote:I can confirm the double install is fixed in both Sunbird and TB. It is nice being able to move the button bar up too. I just wish the button bar objects could be placed on the existing upper bars like with the main windows.

not sure what you mean, do you mean merge the button functions with the menu?
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

mrtech

User avatar
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: May 15th, 2003, 7:46 am
Location: New York

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:31 pm

desertfox wrote:hi mrtech,
great work with the dev builds.

some userChrome.css hacks to make the Addons Manager look better in a slim sidebar:

Code: Select all
#getMore {
  display: none !important;
}
.selectedButtons {
  display: block !important;
}
.addonName {
  -moz-box-flex: 1 !important;
}

kewl, I'll check them out thanks.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

Lee_Dailey

User avatar
 
Posts: 14194
Joined: July 27th, 2004, 4:33 pm
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:40 pm

mrtech wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy mrtech,

this is NOT intended as a gripe - i know i sound like the grumpy old geezer that i really am [*grin*] - but what does ...
"
Added: Hidden setting to Show Attachment box for Email Compose window now has a Option window setting in the Miscellaneous tab
"

... have to do with "local install"? it makes me somewhat twitchy to see things so apparently unrelated show up in one of my fave exts. yes, i still twitch over a few of your other things in this ext. [*grin*]

take care,
lee

it was one line of code that resolved one of my biggest announces when emailing and I had to put it in a while back. Think of it as a nice and easy way to attach extensions or theme ;)


howdy mrtech,

i suspected it was something along those lines. [*grin*] i use a css snippet loaded in stylish for that.

take care,
lee

Will Pittenger

User avatar
 
Posts: 620
Joined: April 3rd, 2005, 6:10 pm
Location: Morton, IL

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 8:41 pm

mrtech wrote:
Will Pittenger wrote:I can confirm the double install is fixed in both Sunbird and TB. It is nice being able to move the button bar up too. I just wish the button bar objects could be placed on the existing upper bars like with the main windows.

not sure what you mean, do you mean merge the button functions with the menu?

Sort off. My main FF window has toolbar buttons and the URL box on the menu bar. I then moved the bookmarks onto the main toolbar and hid the main bookmarks bar. The result uses screen space (widescreen monitor) more efficently. Part of the reason behind that is the default Sunbird theme relies on Windows to skin the buttons which makes them huge. I would be happy with just an icon for each button with no text other than a tooltip.

If you look at the IE7 beta 2 screenshots, you will see how buttons were placed on the tab bar. Same type of concept.
Will Pittenger

mrtech

User avatar
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: May 15th, 2003, 7:46 am
Location: New York

Post Posted May 8th, 2006, 9:02 pm

I see what you mean, but the buttons are now showing and hiding dynamically it's too difficult to keep track, you can of course disable button images using MTLI which should shrink the buttons a little.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

Leedsfan
 
Posts: 106
Joined: December 18th, 2004, 4:26 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 12:11 am

I have been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have the archiving progress appear at the top of the screen - after "Links" for example, in the Extension Manager.
Progress in much easier to see in that position.

Just a thought

shirishag75

User avatar
 
Posts: 615
Joined: August 2nd, 2005, 10:45 am
Location: Pune,India

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 2:37 am

I've been unable to understand the concept of Archive xpi. What does it do & how does one benefit? Does it copy the xpi's at some place & then installs it by itself or what? A screencast or something to explain the concept, anyone ? Thanx in advance.
FF 60.0 on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Uncle Spellbinder

User avatar
 
Posts: 3519
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 4:52 pm
Location: Highland, IN - U.S.A.

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 6:31 am

@ shirishag75

Create a folder to archive .xpi and .jar.:
Image

Click "Automatically Save installed Extensions and Themes":
Image

When you come to a theme or extension you want to install, right click it and click "Archive XPI" or Archive JAR":
Image

I've done it this way and have saved all my extensions.
Image

You no longer have to go to AMO and/or the authors' site as you'll have themes and extensions available to install locally should something happen to your profile or should development of a particular theme/extension stop.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials

shirishag75

User avatar
 
Posts: 615
Joined: August 2nd, 2005, 10:45 am
Location: Pune,India

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 6:38 am

Uncle thanx for clearing that up. Would use that feature now. OT but what theme are you using or are you running Vista or something? The icons look way cool for My computer as well as Recent Documents.
FF 60.0 on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Uncle Spellbinder

User avatar
 
Posts: 3519
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 4:52 pm
Location: Highland, IN - U.S.A.

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 6:51 am

shirishag75 wrote:Uncle thanx for clearing that up. Would use that feature now. OT but what theme are you using or are you running Vista or something? The icons look way cool for My computer as well as Recent Documents.


Glad I could help. As far as themes and icons, I have Windowblinds and Icon Packager installed on Win XP, SP2:

I'm using Royal Vista Glass visual style and PixOffice icon set.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials

shirishag75

User avatar
 
Posts: 615
Joined: August 2nd, 2005, 10:45 am
Location: Pune,India

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 7:34 am

again OT but must have either oddles of RAM or a good GPU to drive by. Btw the Archive xpi works great. I'm sure many people (read 'newbies/noobs') would've benefited from u'r answer.
FF 60.0 on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

mrtech

User avatar
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: May 15th, 2003, 7:46 am
Location: New York

Post Posted May 9th, 2006, 7:35 am

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:@ shirishag75

Create a folder to archive .xpi and .jar.:

Click "Automatically Save installed Extensions and Themes":

When you come to a theme or extension you want to install, right click it and click "Archive XPI" or Archive JAR":

I've done it this way and have saved all my extensions.

You no longer have to go to AMO and/or the authors' site as you'll have themes and extensions available to install locally should something happen to your profile or should development of a particular theme/extension stop.


thank you soo much for posting this ;)
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

Return to Extension Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests