Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:No. In order to be able to reopen a closed tab, I need the relevant information anyway (persisting that information is quite efficient). My point was that if you don't need persistence, you could try a completely different method.

Sorry. I still don't understand. Assuming a user <i>does not enable persistence</i>, what I do not understand is why the undoclosetab extension should, as you have recommended, provide better closing efficiency than SessionManager. At that point, shouldn't they be doing essentially the same thing? :?

Post by ******** »

C@rb0n wrote:
zeniko wrote:No. In order to be able to reopen a closed tab, I need the relevant information anyway (persisting that information is quite efficient). My point was that if you don't need persistence, you could try a completely different method.

Sorry. I still don't understand. Assuming a user <i>does not enable persistence</i>, what I do not understand is why the undoclosetab extension should, as you have recommended, provide better closing efficiency than SessionManager. At that point, shouldn't they be doing essentially the same thing? :?

no, they're not. i use a bit code from the undoclosetab extension in my extension superT.
undoclosetab stores less information.
for example, it doesn't have to generate a list of titles for the toolbar button, like in Session Manager.
also, it doesn't have to save it to a file as part of your session, like in Session Manager.
these features make Session Manager more powerful and easier to use, but a bit slower.
it's a slight tradeoff, and i myself go with Session Manager's feature.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

C@rb0n wrote:why the undoclosetab extension should, as you have recommended, provide better closing efficiency than SessionManager. At that point, shouldn't they be doing essentially the same thing? :?

Essentially yes, but the method is still different: undoclosetab simply stores pointers to the already existing history objects (which would be destroyed otherwise - and which might use quite some memory), while Session Manager gets the information from those objects and stores them separately (using less memory and allowing to save that information as is to disk). So you can choose between memory efficiency/potential persistence and speed.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

desertfox wrote:no, they're not. i use a bit code from the undoclosetab extension in my extension superT.
undoclosetab stores less information.
for example, it doesn't have to generate a list of titles for the toolbar button, like in Session Manager.
also, it doesn't have to save it to a file as part of your session, like in Session Manager.
these features make Session Manager more powerful and easier to use, but a bit slower.
it's a slight tradeoff, and i myself go with Session Manager's feature.

Ok. I think I get it now. Thanks.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:Essentially yes, but the method is still different: undoclosetab simply stores pointers to the already existing history objects (which would be destroyed otherwise - and which might use quite some memory), while Session Manager gets the information from those objects and stores them separately (using less memory and allowing to save that information as is to disk)...

Makes sense now. Thanks. :)
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

at my installation the delay after closing a tab is always between 7 seconds and 12 seconds and i think this is too much.

i would prefer a faster solution integrated in session manager
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Muescha wrote:at my installation the delay after closing a tab is always between 7 seconds and 12 seconds and i think this is too much.

Interesting. My tabs close as good as immediately. How many windows/tabs do you usually keep opened? And what system are you working on (CPU, RAM, OS)?

Muescha wrote:i would prefer a faster solution integrated in session manager

Alternative solutions are already available apart (such as the mentioned undoclosetab extension). I only integrated Undo Close Tab, because I could reuse the session managing code. After all, this is a session manager and no tabbed browsing extension.
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

How do I restore a saved .session file? I can't believe there is a way to save files but not a way to open them :(

Post by ******** »

Gary King wrote:How do I restore a saved .session file? I can't believe there is a way to save files but not a way to open them :(

Just go to Tools -> Session Manager -> and click on the session you want to restore.
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

desertfox wrote:
Gary King wrote:How do I restore a saved .session file? I can't believe there is a way to save files but not a way to open them :(

Just go to Tools -> Session Manager -> and click on the session you want to restore.
I figured that's how you do it, but I saved, oh, a dozen sessions since installing Session Manager. My files exist, but the sessions never appear where they should appear. Help?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Gary King wrote:I figured that's how you do it, but I saved, oh, a dozen sessions since installing Session Manager. My files exist, but the sessions never appear where they should appear. Help?

The sessions should be listed in the menu right after "Save Current Window..." and you should see the name you gave the session. If the first item you see is a grayed out "Rename Session...", there's probably an extension conflict. In that case, first check the JS console for any errors (make sure the hidden prefs javascript.options.* are set to true); if there are no errors, you might want to try disabling other extensions and see whether that helps (resp. try a clean profile); if that doesn't help either, you'll have to tell me more about your system (and probably PM me an example session - just to be sure).
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

zeniko wrote:
Gary King wrote:I figured that's how you do it, but I saved, oh, a dozen sessions since installing Session Manager. My files exist, but the sessions never appear where they should appear. Help?

The sessions should be listed in the menu right after "Save Current Window..." and you should see the name you gave the session. If the first item you see is a grayed out "Rename Session...", there's probably an extension conflict. In that case, first check the JS console for any errors (make sure the hidden prefs javascript.options.* are set to true); if there are no errors, you might want to try disabling other extensions and see whether that helps (resp. try a clean profile); if that doesn't help either, you'll have to tell me more about your system (and probably PM me an example session - just to be sure).
I created a new profile. Same problem exists - in a new profile, without any other new extensions or anything installed.

My Firefox info is in my sig, by the way. I've PMed you a test session.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Gary King wrote:My Firefox info is in my sig, by the way. I've PMed you a test session.

I've configured the forum not to display sigs (don't like the noise). The problem turned out to be specific to Macs (you seem to be the first Mac user...). It's fixed as of <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">version 0.6.4.2</a>. Thanks for the bug report.

Post by ******** »

zeniko wrote:It's fixed as of <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">version 0.6.4.2</a>.

you mean, 0.3.6.2?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

desertfox wrote:you mean, 0.3.6.2?

Sure. 0.6.4.2 is the version of the underlying Crash Recovery version.