Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.

Post by ******** »

0.3.8.0.0?
zeniko wrote:This might be fixed in version 0.3.8.0.0.

btw, 0.3.8.3+ is working perfectly :)
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

I have installed SM now. TMP's session manager is now disabled.

I have not had a chance to repeat these tests. However, FF did crash today. SM restored my session successfully. However, a few minutes ago I closed the themes tab (which I have as a tab) with CTRL-W. I then opened and closed another tab (Mel Reyes extension forum). I then used Local Install to restart FF as I had just upgraded LI to 4.6.1. SM restored too many tabs. It reopened the themes tab even though I had closed it, opened, and closed another tab.
Will Pittenger
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

desertfox wrote:0.3.8.0.0?

The version of the "Tab Mix Plus style context-menu" hack.

Will Pittenger wrote:It reopened the themes tab even though I had closed it, opened, and closed another tab.

That's an issue I'd prefer to blame the Themes manager for (which isn't supposed to be run in a tab and simply claims that Firefox is closing down when you let it close its tab). Still, <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">today's update</a> (0.3.8.5+) should fix this issue.
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

I have it installed now.

New feature request: Please add an option to never ask for which session. I always want the latest.
Will Pittenger
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Will Pittenger wrote:New feature request: Please add an option to never ask for which session. I always want the latest.

What's wrong with the option "Resume Current Session At Startup" or setting the startup session to [ Previous Browsing Session ] ? Otherwise you'll just have to save the latest session always under the same name and set that session as startup session...
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

SM commonly asks which session I want. I always want the most recent session. No exceptions.
Will Pittenger

Post by ******** »

there is an option for that.

enable the "Resume Current Session at Startup" checkbox.
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

It's checked already. Try again. I am not confident I see if when FF did not crash.
Will Pittenger
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

You must have "<prompt for a session>" selected in SM options.

Try setting it to "<None(load the home page)>"
and check "Resume Current Session at Startup".
That should work for you.

Post by ******** »

if Firefox doesn't crash, you won't see it.
If it does, you will.
That's the way it works.

If your Firefox is crashing a lot, that's another problem.
My builds crash about once a week.
A lot of tabs and windows means a lot of memory usage, and that means higher chance of crash.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

desertfox wrote:My builds crash about once a week.

That's all :?: :)
Some days I have constant crashing, other days it only crashes a few times.
But never a day goes by without some crashes.
I usually don't have more than 3-4 tabs open at a time, and only one window.
It most always seems to happen when opening or scrolling a menu (any menu).
When I was using Opera, I never had a crash (but Firefox has so much more to offer).
Lucky me.
Last edited by dougeeebear on April 6th, 2006, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ******** »

Opera = smooth sailing 24/7, but it lacks the "cool factor" and offers little, if any, extensibility.

What build are you using? and how many extensions?

Most of the time (since a couple moths ago), I use Flock 0.5.13.2, which is based on Gecko 1.8.0.1 (same back-end as Firefox 1.5.0.1) code.
It's actually really stable, for a developer preview (not even beta yet). Stabler than Firefox 1.5, at least for me.
I have 12 extensions installed too (one that I made myself) and most of the time browsing is almost as smooth as Opera.

Firefox 1.5 and Firefox 2.0a1 are actually most unstable for me some reason. They crash once every few days, especially if I have a lot of tabs open.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

I'm using Fx 1.5.0.1 and 23 extensions.
I might try out Flock.
I see some extensions will work on it.
(but probably not the ones I like the best).
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

dougeeebear wrote:You must have "<prompt for a session>" selected in SM options.

Try setting it to "<None(load the home page)>"
and check "Resume Current Session at Startup".
That should work for you.

Try again. None is selected there now. Besides, the comments for the Resume Current Session checkbox state that it overrides the combobox.
Will Pittenger
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

Will Pittenger wrote:Try again. None is selected there now. Besides, the comments for the Resume Current Session checkbox state that it overrides the combobox.

You may want to disable TMP and test with only Session Manager. If you can confirm proper Session Manager behavior after disabling TMP, then you can reenable TMP making sure to disable what in TMP is causing the conflict (i.e. make sure that you have disabled whatever functionality in TMP or Session Manager that is duplicative of the other, such as TMP's Session Manager and tab unclosing).

p.s. Please be courteous to those trying to assist you. Your tone seems rather rude.