Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

AnonEmoose wrote:What one needs to do to reconstruct the text is fairly straightforward...

:-s :shock: ](*,)

Post by ******** »

i just installed session manager for my flock browser, because tab mix plus doesn't work in flock and i dont like sessionsaver.
it's working great.
it'd be great though if you would add the closed tab/window list to the tab bar and tab context menu.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

I started off using Crash Recovery, now I'm using Session Manager.
It's a great extension, but I have just one little problem...

Scenario:

> open a session containing 3 tabs
> then open a session containing less than 3 tabs
> tab #3 of the first session is displayed (this is the only tab open) -- nothing opens in the second session.

It seems like if there are more tabs in the current session than there are in the newly selected session, Session Manager has a problem with it.

I have tried it several times to make sure, and it does it every time.
Settings: [X]Replace existing windows

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

EDIT
I just opened a session containing 4 tabs, then opened a session containing 3 tabs.
The last 3 tabs of the first session remained, and nothing was displayed in the second session.

After more experimenting I have determined this:
If #tabs in current session > #tabs in new session, the new session does not display.
If #tabs in current session =< #tabs in new session, then the new session displays correctly.
rwabel

Post by rwabel »

what's the differences to the sessionsaver extension? is there any reason to change from sessionsaver to sessionmanager?
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

rwabel wrote:what's the differences to the sessionsaver extension? is there any reason to change from sessionsaver to sessionmanager?

Sessionsaver Problems:
- Here's one: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324864
- Bulkier (some consider this bad) and less stable than Session Manager
- Once in a while it loses session information on restore (For me, the last straw was when I lost a whole important session because a problem occured during the recovery attempt. Sessionsaver "poisoned" and discarded the whole session!) :furious:
- The project hasn't been touched in months; thus, bugs are festering

And another good reason to change from Sessionsaver to Session Manager is because you're itching to. :wink:
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Here's what I did:

> Uninstalled newest Tab Mix Plus 0.3
> Installed old Tab Mix Plus 0.2.5.2
> Installed the latest Session Manager (from here)
> Set Remembered Open Tabs and Windows to in Session Manager to "0"

So now I have Tab Mix's Closed Tabs toolbar button that works, and I have this awesome Session Manager (plus crash recovery) that saves login cookies and post data.

Cool :)
old zeniko

Re: Session Manager 0.3 [Mar 04]

Post by old zeniko »

@Recall: All-in-one Gestures 0.17 seems to work flawlessly with Session Manager installed. Do you get any error messages in the JS console? Do you experience the same problems on a clean profile?

@AnonEmoose: Fairly straightforward... ;-) As of version 0.3, you'll have to look for all lines starting with postdata=. To get readable text, copy the value, open the JS console, enter decodeURI("") in the text line, insert the copied text between the quotation marks and hit evaluate.

C@rb0n wrote: :-s :shock: ](*,)

@C@rb0n: Take care about your head - nobody is forcing you to jump through AnonEmoose's hoops. ;-)

@desertfox: The closed windows/tabs list is available through the toolbar button. If somebody donates an appropriate icon, I'd even think about providing a second toolbar button for just the list...

@dougeeebear: The mentioned issue should be fixed in <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">version 0.3</a>.

@rwabel: The main difference should be in usability: With Session Manager you don't have to wonder, how to delete a session, nor how to get to the advanced options, nor how to move just one session from one computer to another (that's as simple as copying a file), nor which version you're using, nor where its homepage is (and this thread won't get as long as to become unsearchable)... ~ A second difference is that I try to keep the code simple and clean - you'll note this in quicker bug fixes and hopefully improved reliability. And this might further improve, since Session Manager might get a full code audit by several Mozilla developers soon, because a fork of its core component is considered for inclusion into Firefox 2 (project name: SessionStore).
logan

Post by logan »

Lookin' good man, thanks for all the hard work.
dk70

Post by dk70 »

Recommended or not it works fine with latest Tab Mix - definitely an improvement to build-in session features of TMP.
rwabel

Post by rwabel »

thanks for the answers! I'm convinced as I really had bad experiences with lost sessions. I'm happy that this one should work more stable.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

@zeniko:
Great job! It is working as it should now.
Thank you for such a fast response.

Also, I was getting an error on Rename Session before, but now it 's working ok.

A couple requests:
Would it be possible to make the popup dialog boxes resizable and remembered?
I would like to be able to raise them if possible.

Also, in the options dialog, could there be a checkbox option to show/hide the "general options" in the menu (the bottom three menu items).

They tend to be a bit intrusive in a lengthy session list.

That's all for now :)

Thanks again for a great extension.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

@zenico,

Would toolbar icons like these work for you?

Left to right..
modified session manager icons (a little more colorful)
closed tab icons (grey for no closed tabs) 24x24px and 16x16px

If you're interested, let me know how to get them to you.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:Image

They look nice. I'd however prefer some changes:
* The green should be replaced by something more associated with the content area (e.g. white).
* The floppy disk could use slighly more contrast (the lower parts seem to blur somewhat into each other on my display).
* For the undo close window/tab, I'd rather thought of something like a trash can or some rounded "Recycle" arrows. The X looks to much like a close-tab button (i.e. I'm not sure people will understand the meaning of this button).
* And then I'd also need a 32x32px version of the first button to replace the extension's icon. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

As for your two requests:
* As of <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">version 0.3.0.2</a> the dialogs are all resizable.
* And to hide the options in the menu, you can add the following to your userChrome.css (replace #sessionmanager-menu with #sessionmanager-toolbar for the toolbar button's menu):

Code: Select all

#sessionmanager-menu menuseparator[_id="options-separator"],
#sessionmanager-menu menuitem[_id="resume"],
#sessionmanager-menu menuitem[_id="reload"],
#sessionmanager-menu menuitem[_id="overwrite"] {
   display: none !important;
}
logan

Post by logan »

Something seems to have happened to the updateURL:
Error: no element found
Source File: http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/update.xml
Line: 1, Column: 1
Source Code:
^

-(~) curl -I http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/update.xml
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:53:44 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.4.2 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.7b
Last-Modified: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:11:07 GMT
ETag: "147887-0-4409ae0b"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/xml
X-Cache: MISS from www.haslo.ch

-(~)
AnonEmoose

Re: Session Manager 0.3 [Mar 04]

Post by AnonEmoose »

zeniko wrote:@AnonEmoose: Fairly straightforward... ;-) As of version 0.3, you'll have to look for all lines starting with postdata=. To get readable text, copy the value, open the JS console, enter decodeURI("") in the text line, insert the copied text between the quotation marks and hit evaluate.

hehe.... I was attempting to point out SessionManager had saved the info even if it wasn't being displayed.... actually I use decodeURI but i thought the Find/Replace stuff would be easier to explain (it also would work with the '+' signs)... oh well !!!! lol.......