Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

desertfox wrote:when merging windows (in superT), i don't want the appended tabs to get the focus.

They don't. The fix you cite doesn't apply to all session loading but only to sessions manually loaded through the Session Manager menu.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko,
Regarding the focus issue with "Load (Append To Current Session)" in the TMP style context menu, the blank white page displaying briefly before displaying page content is still happening in the latest dev build 0.3.8.2+.
Maybe it would be better loading in the background as it was before you changed it, and if a user wants it to be focused, they could add the code to the userChrome.js script.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

<b>zeniko:</b>

This latest version, 0.3.8 (or possibly a slightly earlier version), has introduced a bug whereby, with many tabs (say 20 or more), and much tab open/close history, Session Manager becomes no longer able to track tabs. As a result tabs recently closed cannot be reopened, and when using the Tab Clicking Options extension to attempt to reopen the tab, only long-closed tabs can be reopened.

I do not currently have time to try and reproduce; however, next time you are looking through the code, you may want to search for memory leaks, buffer overflows, or (possibly) inadequate tab history tracking capability.

Thanks

Post by ******** »

zeniko wrote:
desertfox wrote:when merging windows (in superT), i don't want the appended tabs to get the focus.

They don't. The fix you cite doesn't apply to all session loading but only to sessions manually loaded through the Session Manager menu.

sweet. thanks.
superT 0.7RC1 is out with "merge windows" for SM/CR users
and it even auto-detects SM's "undo close tab" for SM users :D
thanks for all your help!
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

desertfox wrote:uperT 0.7RC1 is out with "merge windows" for SM/CR users
and it even auto-detects SM's "undo close tab" for SM users

Just curious, if someone uses SM, why would a SM feature need to auto-detected :?:

Post by ******** »

superT detects that you have SM installed, so instead of using superT's built-in undo close tab function, it uses SM's function, so that when you use "undo close tab" as a tab clicking option, SM's "Reopen Closed Tab" list works correctly.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:Regarding the focus issue with "Load (Append To Current Session)" in the TMP style context menu, the blank white page displaying briefly before displaying page content is still happening in the latest dev build 0.3.8.2+.

As for <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">version 0.3.8.3+</a>, I'm slightly delaying the moment when the first of the appended tabs gets the focus. A minor glitch probably won't be avoidable, but it should be tolerable. Anyway, moving the focus is rather what I'd expect to happen.

C@rb0n wrote:This latest version, 0.3.8 (or possibly a slightly earlier version), has introduced a bug whereby, with many tabs (say 20 or more), and much tab open/close history, Session Manager becomes no longer able to track tabs. As a result tabs recently closed cannot be reopened, and when using the Tab Clicking Options extension to attempt to reopen the tab, only long-closed tabs can be reopened.

I'm not able to reproduce such behavior. Should this happen again, please make sure that there are no Session Manager related messages in the JS console. Even nicer would be if you had an idea on how to reproduce this behavior (which might just as well be due to an extension incompatibility). Anyway, I'd safely rule out all risk of memory leaks (I still don't get why people even think of these all the time) or buffer overflows (which should be impossible in pure JS code). And tab history tracking should be solid enough as well...

Post by ******** »

i've just discovered that with "Replace Existing Windows" checked (as I always have it):
1. if you hold ctrl while clicking on a session, it appends it to the current window
2. if you hold shift, it opens the session in a new window
whee!
2 more reasons why Session Manager rocks! :D
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

desertfox wrote:superT detects that you have SM installed, so instead of using superT's built-in undo close tab function, it uses SM's function, so that when you use "undo close tab" as a tab clicking option, SM's "Reopen Closed Tab" list works correctly.
Ok, thanks for the info.

zeniko wrote:
dougeeebear wrote:Regarding the focus issue with "Load (Append To Current Session)" in the TMP style context menu, the blank white page displaying briefly before displaying page content is still happening in the latest dev build 0.3.8.2+.

As for <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">version 0.3.8.3+</a>, I'm slightly delaying the moment when the first of the appended tabs gets the focus. A minor glitch probably won't be avoidable, but it should be tolerable. Anyway, moving the focus is rather what I'd expect to happen.
It still happens intermittently. It seems as if a session has been loaded once, it doesn't do it the second time it is loaded (it's probably in cache).
A longer loading page like AMO is where it really hangs blank while loading (always) .
I think I would settle for having it back to the old way again :)

Post by ******** »

dougeeebear, you've finally updated from the old version that was "working so well" :P
i sometimes stick to older versions for a while, but eventually, the new version becomes too enticing to not update :D
alta88

Re: Feature request

Post by alta88 »

zeniko wrote:
tjztzu wrote:1. Ability to right click or otherwise directly perform an operation on a saved session or tab rather than having to open the separate window.)

For all those who really want this, I've prepared some lines to be added to your userChrome.js - get them at the Download section in the first post (just note that that code isn't as well tested and might not be as well supported).

this is so tantalizingingly close to how i wish it would work...

anyway just a small thing - rt click on Name bring up submenu and click elsewhere closes the submenu but not the parent, and no further way to close without clicking the icon.

tks.
Peng

Post by Peng »

alta88 wrote:this is so tantalizingingly close to how i wish it would work...

anyway just a small thing - rt click on Name bring up submenu and click elsewhere closes the submenu but not the parent, and no further way to close without clicking the icon.

What do you mean by name? Are you using at least SM 0.3.8?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
alta88

Post by alta88 »

the session name in the icon's context menu.. 0.3.8 at least, perhaps a dev build up. and the 0.3.7.9 version of the .js script.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

desertfox wrote:dougeeebear, you've finally updated from the old version that was "working so well" :P
i sometimes stick to older versions for a while, but eventually, the new version becomes too enticing to not update :D

The userChrome.js scripts that zeniko provided let me have the features I had hacked into the older version, so I had to do it :)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

alta88 wrote:anyway just a small thing - rt click on Name bring up submenu and click elsewhere closes the submenu but not the parent, and no further way to close without clicking the icon.

This might be fixed in version 0.3.8.0.0.

Further on, there's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">version 0.3.8.4+</a> for testing. I've reworked the saving code to correctly respond to the edge case of saving (almost) immediately (i.e. if the minimum time interval is set to 20ms or less).