Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
george27

Post by george27 »

Zeniko, I am also experiencing not only session losses but I also use "all in one sidebar" and it doesn't reopen if the the sidebar was left open at shut down. This isn't crash related. I use cache fixer too. The problem occurs with 3.9 and 3.9.6+dev and not 3.8. I use a third party soft that overwrites the cache. And noticed that this happens after running the software. I took 3.9 and emptied the cache and the session was lost. The same to 3.8 and no session loss or the problems with aiosbar. For the time being in the install.rdf I changed the 3.8 to 3.9 to avoid the update.
heraldo

Post by heraldo »

i wonder if it is possible to use the same icon for "undo close" as for the "session manager" or even use a selfmade icon. as it is now, in my opionion, the "undo close" icon is not blending in with many themes including default + the icon does not capture the purose of the service as the "session manager" icon does. is it possible to change that, if yes, how?

Anyway, thank you for a great extension!
Elder Young

Post by Elder Young »

Session Manager stopped working correctly for me recently. I had it set to backup current session upon exit and restore previous session on startup. When I close the program and reopen it, I have the correct number of tabs, but they're all blank. I thought it might be related to NoScript 1.1.4, which I recently updated to, but the behavior still exists with NoScript disabled. The only other extension that I've updated recently is Adblock Plus 0.7. Is anyone else having a problem using either of these extensions with Bon Echo?

Here's a list of my installed extensions.
Adblock Plus 0.7
Bookmark Backup 0.4.1
Console² 0.3.4
Greasemonkey 0.6.4
IE View Lite 1.1.5
Mozilla SpellCheck Libraries 1.0.1.0
Nightly Tester Tools 1.0
NoScript 1.1.4 [DISABLED]
Session Manager 0.3.9.6+
SpellBound 0.7.3
Tab Preview 0.3 [DISABLED]
Talkback 2.0a1
Update Channel Selector 1.0.1

Edit:

Well, either my profile (which I created just a couple weeks ago) is messed up, or the restore session feature is borked. Everytime I open it, I have the correct number of tabs, with the correct tab focused, but all the tabs are blank with "untitled' on each one. Sometimes I can go to Tools -> Session Manager -> [Previous browsing session] and it will correctly restore the last session, other times it will only correctly restore if I go to [Older Browsing Session (date and time)].

It seems like 0.3.9 still works with my Trunk build, but I can't get any version to work with Bon Echo, and I have the same extensions installed on both builds, and I believe my userchrome.css, user.js, and usercontent.css are virtually identical for both builds.
System: Core 2 Quad Q9650, 8GB RAM, Sapphire 5870 Toxic, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Flash 10.1.53.64, Java 1.6U21 B04
Morac

Post by Morac »

I'm not sure if you covered this already since the topic search function seems to be broken, but here's my issue. I installed Session Manager and I already have Tab Mix Plus installed. Previously I told TMP to map middle clicking on the tab bar to the "snapback tab" function. Since TMP doesn't know about Session Manager I was going to add SM to it, but then I noticed that SM calls a function "patchTabBrowser()" at startup which will use the function that TMP calls to "Reopen the closed tab" (namely undoRemoveTab). This is what I did, I temporary enabled undo close tab in TMP, set the button to do the reopen closed tab action and then disabled undo close tab in TMP.

This would have worked if not for the fact that SM only will assign itself to the gBrowser.undoRemoveTab function if that function does not already exist. Since it exists in Tab Mix Plus, SM won't take that function even if it is disabled in TMP. When I commented out the if statement to check whether or not gBrowser.undoRemoveTab existed, then middle clicking called SM's undoCloseTab like I would prefer it to do.

I see 2 possible ways to "fix" this without annoying people who don't want SM to take over TMP:

1. Check TMP's preferences to see if it's version of undo closed tabs is disabled (extensions.tabmix.undoClose is false). If it is then take control of the gBrowser.undoRemoveTab command. This may not be preferrable though because even though TMP's undo close tab is disabled, the user might not want SM to hijack TMP's commands (though in this case I don't know why anyone would care since undo close tab would be disabled).

2. Have an option in SM that basically says always map SM's undoCloseTab function to undoRemoveTab (or use SM to reopen closed tabs). If you saved the old undoRemoveTab function ( save it to a variable), then this could even be enabled, disabled on the fly.
Morac

Post by Morac »

One other thing, I'm running Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.5 and have Firefox set up to always show tabs. If there is only 1 tab open and I close it, the closed tab list shows 2 identical entries for the tab I just closed. Clicking either of them opens the closed tab in a new tab (it won't use the existing blank tab). The duplicate entry will remain in the closed tab list until I click it which opens a 2nd tab or I clear the list. This only occurs if there was only 1 tab open. I don't know if this is something caused by TMP or not.

I think there's 2 issues here:
1. The duplicate entries
2. When restoring a tab and there is only a blank tab displayed it should probably use that blank tab.
billyswong

Post by billyswong »

Ever since I upgraded from 0.3.7.9 to 0.3.9, strange things happened. Accroding to Windows Task Manager, the no. of threads keeps increasing. Currently it has already grown to 100 thread+. Although this doesn't seem to hurt performance (yet), this is really really strange.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Dan Harkless wrote:"Works For Me"? Do you run with "Begin finding when you begin typing" turned on all the time?

It's still WFM. For one, I've never experienced this on the 1.8.1 branch, but I wasn't able to reproduce it on Firefox 1.5.0.2, either. There used to be some FAYT issues (most have been fixed for Firefox 1.5), but I still haven't got any clue how Session Manager could trigger any of them.
Dan Harkless wrote:I got it to happen on http://www.google.com/advanced_search?l ... en&num=100 (reliably, once it started occurring, though interestingly, just now I went back to that same window and it has since stopped doing it again).

It might be that you're experiencing focus issues. Switching tabs back and forth should usually take care of them. Still, I don't see how Session Manager could be responsible for them.
Dan Harkless wrote:No additional errors would appear when trying to type in form fields and having it suddenly jump into find-as-you-type mode (and those three errors would show up in the console even when visiting that page and not having the bug occur).

The errors are actually just three CSS issues (which mostly confuse users since Firefox 1.5). Unfortunately with no indication where the issue might come from and no reliable way to reproduce it (resp. no way to reproduce it at all for me), it's as good as impossible to fix it except per chance (and I haven't got the time for waiting for that chance ;)). It could just as well be an aspect of bug 258285 which hasn't been fixed yet. One thing you could try is following the instructions of comment 249 of that bug.

lolo92 wrote:I haven't really look the way you save sessions, but if you save a html cached version you could print it without reloading the php, no ? (it's a question, I know this is not easy :))
Even without crashing, just close and reopen, SM always reload any php page.

Saving the pages independently of Firefox' cache would of course fix this issue. But as I said, neither do I know how to best do that (the main problem is restoring) nor am I sure whether it's really worth the performance penalty. Anyway, if you still get pages which aren't correctly restored without reloading with <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">Session Manager 0.3.9.7+</a> (after a regular restart), please send me one or two URLs where that happens (because it works for me even in this very forum, which uses PHP quite extensively).

george27 wrote:I am also experiencing not only session losses but I also use "all in one sidebar" and it doesn't reopen if the the sidebar was left open at shut down.

The usual questions: does this also happen on a clean profile? Do you get any errors in the JS console (having both javascript.options.* prefs set to true)? Are you able to reproduce this consistently (if so, please indicate more detailed steps)? Both issues do work for me.
george27 wrote:I use cache fixer too.

This shouldn't cause you any issues - but since Cache Fixer is included in Session Manager, you should be able to do without.
george27 wrote:I use a third party soft that overwrites the cache. And noticed that this happens after running the software. I took 3.9 and emptied the cache and the session was lost. The same to 3.8 and no session loss or the problems with aiosbar.

What do you mean by "losing a session"? That no pages are restored? That they're restored without content? Or that they all have to be reloaded from the server? The last will obviously happen if you erase Firefox' cache.

modellmakt wrote:i wonder if it is possible to use the same icon for "undo close" as for the "session manager" or even use a selfmade icon.

You can replace that icon by adding the following code to your userChrome.css and modifying it for any other image:

Code: Select all

#sessionmanager-undo {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://sessionmanager/skin/toolbar.png") !important;
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 48px, 24px, 24px) !important;
}

Alternatively you could donate a new icon or convince theme authors to overwrite the default icon with one better matching their themes. As for the icon's symbol, I actually quite like it (a tabbed browser crossed with a first-aid sign should be pretty accurate for a button who restores accidentally closed tabs).

wcarloss wrote:Session Manager stopped working correctly for me recently.

You are most probably experiencing bug 333651 which only affects the 1.8.1 branch and will be fixed in tomorrow's nightly. Since I'm waiting for the Places UI to get usable, it will be a while before I get regular branch testing again.

Morac wrote:Previously I told TMP to map middle clicking on the tab bar to the "snapback tab" function. Since TMP doesn't know about Session Manager I was going to add SM to it, but then I noticed that SM calls a function "patchTabBrowser()" at startup which will use the function that TMP calls to "Reopen the closed tab" (namely undoRemoveTab).

patchTabBrowser just adds a tweak for Tab Clicking Options which doesn't recognize Session Manager (yet). The "official" way to invoke Session Manager's Undo Close Tab functionality is through gSessionManager.undoCloseTab(). I prefer not having to patch around other extensions quirks, if it is much cleaner if they simply acknowledge the existence of Session Manager. Until that happens, you can always add the following line to your userChrome.js (this should overwrite TMP's function):

getBrowser().undoRemoveTab = function() { gSessionManager.undoCloseTab(); };

Morac wrote:If there is only 1 tab open and I close it, the closed tab list shows 2 identical entries for the tab I just closed.

Thanks for notifying me of this issue. Today's testing version (0.3.9.7+) should take care of most of it. So far, Undo Close Tab could break when "closing" the last tab - and it would always be restored as a new tab. Now it replaces the current tab, if "closing" the last tab either really replaces it or at least purges its history (Firefox' default is to just surf to about:blank, which isn't enough for overwriting it - TMP might do the right thing - otherwise I might write a userChrome.js snippet for that).

billyswong wrote:Ever since I upgraded from 0.3.7.9 to 0.3.9, strange things happened. Accroding to Windows Task Manager, the no. of threads keeps increasing.

Thanks for the notification. That was really a bug introduced in version 0.3.9 (and fixed as of today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">0.3.9.7+</a>) which created a new thread about every 10 seconds but didn't destroy them. I supposed that these threads would just vanish when they were done - but apparently I supposed wrong. Now Session Manager always uses only one additional thread.
george27

Post by george27 »

"george27 wrote:
I use a third party soft that overwrites the cache. And noticed that this happens after running the software. I took 3.9 and emptied the cache and the session was lost. The same to 3.8 and no session loss or the problems with aiosbar."

Zeniko I have found the problem. There is a confict with TabbrowserExtensions{2.1.2006031301}. The tbe session save is shut of in tbe. There are not two session savers running. There is no confict with SessionManager{0.3.8} + tbe but with SessionManager{0.3.9} + tbe the problems with not restoring sessions occurs and aios bar not opening.
luuuciano

How to load a crashrecovery session file? It was made by SM

Post by luuuciano »

Hello!

Im using session manager 0.3.9
I have no idea how I made it, but I closed FF and lost all my opened tabs...

(maybe the Extensions window was closed after the main FF window...
if you do that, you loose all the tabs?)

I found that all that tabs were stored on a crashrecovery.session file
So, with FF closed, I tried to add the content of that file (all below [Window1])
to the backup.session stored in the sessions folder (below [Window1] too)...
and then open FF but... the tabs are not opened... :(

Why?
How can I load that tabs again?

TIA, and sorry for the bad english :)

Luciano A. Ferrer
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

george27 wrote:There is a confict with TabbrowserExtensions{2.1.2006031301}.

I've installed the latest TBE on Firefox 1.5.0.2 and set it to load the default homepage on startup (first option for Startup). This restored the session and the sidebar as expected - even with the cache cleared or after a crash. Please test again with the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.3.9.8+). I've however had issues with TBE on the 1.8.1 branch (where TBE seems nicely broken). Anyway, if the issues persist but can't be reproduced without TBE installed, please notify Piro (TBE's author) rather than me.

luuuciano wrote:Im using session manager 0.3.9
I have no idea how I made it, but I closed FF and lost all my opened tabs...

(maybe the Extensions window was closed after the main FF window...
if you do that, you loose all the tabs?)

It seems that session restoring when the last closed window wasn't a browser window was indeed broken for version 0.3.9. Please update to the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> for a bug fix (this version will become 0.4 shortly). Thanks for the notification.

If you still have that crashrecovery data file lying around, you'll have to edit it slighly further, changing all lines starting with [Window1.Window to [Window (i.e. removing the first Window1. for all entries).
luuuciano

Post by luuuciano »

Ahhh, thanks Zeniko!

That make my day happy! :)
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

Session manager is still asking for which session to load after crashes. Turns out that it thinks FF crashed when I left it open while rebooting. A while back, I was told to use the following hack. It does not appear to be working.

#sessionmanager-menu menuitem[onclick],
#sessionmanager-menu menuitem[_id="separator"],
#sessionmanager-toolbar menuitem[onclick],
#sessionmanager-toolbar menuitem[_id="separator"] {
   display: none !important;
}
Will Pittenger
Elder Young

Post by Elder Young »

zeniko wrote:You are most probably experiencing bug 333651 which only affects the 1.8.1 branch and will be fixed in tomorrow's nightly. Since I'm waiting for the Places UI to get usable, it will be a while before I get regular branch testing again.

You are correct. Session Manager works in the build that I'm currently using which contains a patch for bug 333651.
System: Core 2 Quad Q9650, 8GB RAM, Sapphire 5870 Toxic, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Flash 10.1.53.64, Java 1.6U21 B04
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Will: If you've updated from one testing version to another, you might have to mark the checkbox again. You shouldn't see the dialog, if the pref extensions.crashrecovery.restore_prompt is set to false. ~ As for Firefox seemingly crashing at a reboot, that's rather an issue with Firefox or your OS. If Firefox isn't correctly shut down at a reboot, there's nothing Session Manager can do about it. ~ Finally, how does the userChrome.css hack not work? You'll have to replace menuitem[_id="separator"] with menuseparator[_id="separator"] to correctly have the separator hidden, but otherwise it does what I said.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko,
I am using SM 0.3.9.5+.
I have "Save sensitive data" set to unencrypted sites only, but if I shut the browser down without logging out of a secure site (shame on me), I am able to get back on that site after starting Fx again, without logging in.
I would think this setting should also keep secure site cookies from being saved, but SM is saving the cookies.
I don't know if it is also saving secure post-form-data or not, because I haven't had occasion to try it, but since cookies are being saved, I can only assume all secure data is being saved.
extensions.crashrecovery.privacy_level is set to default integer 1 in about:config.