New beta release - Nightly Tester Tools 0.8b2

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Peng wrote:Suggestion: With the extension list, I think it should be (case-insensitively) sorted.

Good plan, I'll do that.

Peng wrote:Another suggestion, though: Perhaps show dates in the 'Recent Incidents' menu? I'm more likely to remember "the crash on the 17th" than "TB15303314X". But I guess that's what the sidebar is for. (BTW: I just noticed that at least in this trunk build, the Talkback sidebar is not listed in View -> Sidebar.)

If you hover over the recent incident it gives a tooltip with more details, though I could put the date in as well, unfortunately the locale-unspecific way of getting a string for a date produces something quite long, so I'll see what I can do with that.

Peng wrote:What does specifying a log file do? Will it log to that file? So do I need to set NSPR_LOG_MODULES and NSPR_LOG_FILE now?

Specifying the log file just tells the analyser what to analyse. You have to generate the log file on your own unfortunately using the same batch files or whatever methods you already use. Also if you try to open the log file while firefox is still logging to it you'll see an insane number of leaks, the log files are only meant to be analysed after firefox has exited.
Along with the final release I may include a premade batch thats useful.

Peng wrote:It would be nice if in the Complete Log tab, it remembered your 'Display' settings.

Shouldnt be too tricky.

Peng wrote:I don't think the leak logging code is in the mozilla1.8 branch, so it probably shouldn't show the 'Analyse Leak Log' menu item in them.

Good point, wonder how Im going to manage that one ;)
Peng

Post by Peng »

mossop wrote:Good plan, I'll do that.

Cool. :)

mossop wrote:If you hover over the recent incident it gives a tooltip with more details, though I could put the date in as well, unfortunately the locale-unspecific way of getting a string for a date produces something quite long, so I'll see what I can do with that.

Oh. I hadn't noticed that. Good enough.

mossop wrote:Specifying the log file just tells the analyser what to analyse. You have to generate the log file on your own unfortunately using the same batch files or whatever methods you already use. Also if you try to open the log file while firefox is still logging to it you'll see an insane number of leaks, the log files are only meant to be analysed after firefox has exited.
Along with the final release I may include a premade batch thats useful.

Okay. So I guess you're supposed to use multiple log files, and load up the previous one in that view? Well, okay. I doubt there's much you can easily do about that.

mossop wrote:Shouldnt be too tricky.

Cool. :)

How would it be done? Just a bunch of preferences?

mossop wrote:Good point, wonder how Im going to manage that one ;)

I dunno. You're the developer. :P

Check if some function or variable or something that's part of the code exists?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
Andu

Post by Andu »

I'm not sure if this is my fault or not. I just installed the NTT beta and then switched to the Firefox trunk. Some of the extensions were disabled by the browser so I made them compatible with NTT. But after restarting they weren't enabled. They are still disabled and I cannot enable them manually either. Restarting doesn't help in any way either.

Same happened with the Qute theme as well.

On top of that if I want to install a new theme that is not compatible with the trunk build it won't let me make it compatible on install like it used to do before. The browser will just deny the installation.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Andu wrote:I'm not sure if this is my fault or not. I just installed the NTT beta and then switched to the Firefox trunk. Some of the extensions were disabled by the browser so I made them compatible with NTT. But after restarting they weren't enabled. They are still disabled and I cannot enable them manually either. Restarting doesn't help in any way either.

If you could package up the files extensions.rdf, extensions.cache and extensions.ini from your profile folder and mail them to me at mossop@blueprintit.co.uk then I might be able to figure out what's going on.

Andu wrote:On top of that if I want to install a new theme that is not compatible with the trunk build it won't let me make it compatible on install like it used to do before. The browser will just deny the installation.

NTT has never been able to make new themes compatible during install before, only make them compatible if they are already installed.
Andu

Post by Andu »

Ok I just sent you the files that you asked for. I hope you are able to figure it out.

Regarding the themes I didn't know that. I know that it was possible for extensions so I just assumed that the same would be possible for themes as well.
Andu

Post by Andu »

mossop just wanted to inform you that the problem is solved. Updating to the next trunk nightly solved the issue.
mahowi

Post by mahowi »

Thunderbird bumped its version number to 2.0a1 on branch. So maxVersion should be at least 2.0a1, better 3.0a1 for NTT.
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052316 Firefox/3.0pre (mahowi) ID:2008052316
Thunderbird: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052904 Thunderbird/3.0a2pre ID:2008052904
chob

Post by chob »

FYI Mossop, #320192[Core:Layout]-better way for users/testers to detect and isolate leaks of large object graphs [All] has landed everywhere except the 1.0.x branch.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

mahowi wrote:Thunderbird bumped its version number to 2.0a1 on branch. So maxVersion should be at least 2.0a1, better 3.0a1 for NTT.

I've unfortunatly been stuck in meetings yesterday and for the first half of today too but the first chance I get I'll make the update to the beta and the current release version too. Thanks for letting me know.
Andu

Post by Andu »

Yea I think 3.0a1 would be better since the TB trunk version is already like that and the FF trunk version will be changed to that soon.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Ok I've just updated the main post with details of the beta 2 release, its maxversions are set to 3.0a1 for both firefox and thunderbird.
JanT

beta 2 release

Post by JanT »

Hello Mossop,
The latest version (0.8b2) didn't show the custum title in the branch builds on my computer. It does in the trunk builds!
Both, Firefox and Thunderbird.
Version 0.8b1 don't have this problem.
Greetings, Jan
Mossop

Re: beta 2 release

Post by Mossop »

JanT wrote:The latest version (0.8b2) didn't show the custum title in the branch builds on my computer. It does in the trunk builds!

Oops soory about that. Just updated the version to fix that breakage.
JanT

Re: beta 2 release

Post by JanT »

mossop wrote:
JanT wrote:The latest version (0.8b2) didn't show the custum title in the branch builds on my computer. It does in the trunk builds!
Oops soory about that. Just updated the version to fix that breakage.
Thanks, is working now.