Bookmark Backup and Places (and Classic Sidebars 0.7)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
DeepFreeze3

Post by DeepFreeze3 »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I've been primarily backing up necessary profile files to restore in case of hard drive failure or in case I need to completely uninstall Firefox for one reason or another. I now have it set as such:

I chose to install Bookmark Backup 0.4.2 alpha 2, and, so far, it's doing what it's supposed to.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060323 Firefox/2.0a1 ID:2006032303

Bookmark Backup 0.4.2a2
Classic Sidebars 0.6.4
Nightly Tester Tools 1.0rc1
Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.603
Update Channel Selector 1.0.1
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Pike, one more question for you. With the Classic Sidebars extension I am not able to see any folder icons in the sidebar. The folders that I have created show up in the Firefox default theme, but not in any other theme--there is just a blank space between the left hand margin and the text for the folder. It has to be the Sidebars extension because the folders show up in all themes with non-places Firefox editions like 1.5.0.2. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

The themes are not yet ready for Places...
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
rtk

classic sidebars and tmp

Post by rtk »

Hey Pike,

Bookmarks and history in the sidebar doesn't seem to respect the "current vs. new" or "focused vs. background" setting in Tab Mix Plus.... Is that something that could be looked at?
rtk
DeepFreeze3

Post by DeepFreeze3 »

For some reason, one of my folders in Classic Sidebar 0.6.4 temporarily disappeared. It didn't pop back up until I restarted the browser.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060326 Firefox/2.0a1 ID:2006032605
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Pike, this sidebar extension is PERFECT!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

Only one problem. Is there any way you can get the Personal Toolbar Folder in there, too?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
Pike

Post by Pike »

@rtk

I don't currently plan to add integration with any tabbed browsing extensions, sorry. Perhaps at a later date, no promises though.

@DeepFreeze3

If it happens again could you check the JS Console for errors and report them in this thread (or PM me), thanks.

@CatThief

At the moment there is no way to mix the toolbar folder into bookmarks, sorry. One alternative is to show the whole of Places in the sidebar, you can do that by setting classicsidebars.placesIsRoot to true in about:config then closing and reopening the bookmarks sidebar.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Pike wrote:@CatThief

At the moment there is no way to mix the toolbar folder into bookmarks, sorry. One alternative is to show the whole of Places in the sidebar, you can do that by setting classicsidebars.placesIsRoot to true in about:config then closing and reopening the bookmarks sidebar.

Works perfectly, too. :mrgreen:

My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
DeepFreeze3

Post by DeepFreeze3 »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:
Pike wrote:@CatThief

Works perfectly, too. :mrgreen:

If you get into the options panel of AIOS and make it close when in full screen mode, then get the AutoHide extension, full screen sure looks a hell of a lot better in Firefox than it normally does.

Just a thought...
hacksoncode

Post by hacksoncode »

I'll join in with the crowd asking that Classic Sidebars remember the folder state across invokations. There are 4-5 folders (like my "News" folder) that I like to have open all the time.

Anyway, thanks very much for this extension! I really breathed a sigh of relief after installing it.
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

post moved here
dagazdog

Post by dagazdog »

Pike,

Thanks for a wonderful restore of functionality. Although I'd like to queue up on keeping the state and position of the classic sidebar, I also see my favicons having their transparency color (or colour) filled with black. I am running Noia (extreme) theme. As well, the folders are missing for me also.

Great extension. I think the default could be better served as the places root, or better yet, a drop-down to select which root (bookmarks, bookmarks toolbar, or places root) you want to use.

Urban

Post by ******** »

favicon and folder problem is because Noia is not updated for the latest dev builds.

appearance issues are not Classi Sidebars's fault.

as ShareBird said, "Themes are not yet ready for Places."
As a nightly user, you should be ready for nightly glitches.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Here's Classic Sidebars 0.7.

Note: This requires a nightly build (it will not work on Bon Echo Alpha 1).

Fixes:
- Remembers opened bookmarks folders between sessions.
- Added a hidden pref (see below).

classicsidebars.historyDays:
The number of days of history to show. -1 (the default) is all history, 0 is history since midnight today, 1 is history since midnight yesterday and so on. If this helps people with performance issues please post here so I know whether to change the default value to something other than -1.

p.s. I still haven't fixed the keyboard shortcuts, if anyone has any thoughts on alternative keys please post (just as a reminder, Ctrl-Shift-A to F don't work on Linux and Ctrl-Shift-B conflicts with Adblock Plus, I'd also rather not overwrite built-in Firefox shortcuts).
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I am not sure about other users, but my 'brain to fingers memory' is so trained to use <Crtl+B> that I am surprised when the Sidebar doesn't open and Places appears. Please overwrite the built-in shortcuts, I am too old to learn new stuff! <LOL>

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.