Bookmark Backup and Places (and Classic Sidebars 0.7)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Added Ctrl-Shift-B and Ctrl-Shift-H keyboard shortcuts for opening the sidebars.

Thanks for adding these.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Pike wrote:Here's Restore Sidebars 0.5.

Fixes:
- Support keyboard navigation in the sidebars.
- Support grouping of History by site/most visited/last visited.
- Added a search box.
- Added Ctrl-Shift-B and Ctrl-Shift-H keyboard shortcuts for opening the sidebars.
- More minor fixes.

Notes:
- I've seen some quirks in the search, I think it might be caused by bugs in Places itself but I need to investigate.
- Unlike the pre-Places search boxes this one searches both bookmarks *and* history regardless of which sidebar you're currently viewing (I might change that later, I haven't decided).
- No grouping by date, haven't figured that out yet.

Pike,
I'm glad you're taking this project up..... I haven't had much time to test/use "Places" and from what I see EHM & EBS extensions will be "history" (hehehe) and no longer needed ...... Between "Places" and your added options things look to be well in hand.

One suggestion though, perhaps you should change the name to be something more descriptive before mass adoption of "Places" and RestoreSidebars... such as PlacesSidebar (yeah i know that's corny ...lol) or something along those lines
Pike

Post by Pike »

I'm open to suggestions on the name front. However I'd rather avoid anything like Places Sidebar, to me it implies that the extension opens Places in the sidebar, somebody's probably working on that as we speak and I don't want to steal their extension name. :-)
monabonejakon

Post by monabonejakon »

Can i easily replace, in the SKIN folder of your extension, the icons to those used by Qute theme?

Thx
Pike

Post by Pike »

@monabonejakon

The least painful way would be to close Firefox then go into <your-profile>/extensions/restoresidebars@.../chrome/content/ and load browserOverlay.xul into a text editor. Then change the following:

Code: Select all

id="restoresidebarsBookmarksButton"

to:

id="bookmarks-button"

and change this:

id="restoresidebarsHistoryButton"

to:

id="history-button"

You'd then need to re-customize your toolbars.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Pike wrote:I'm open to suggestions on the name front. However I'd rather avoid anything like Places Sidebar, to me it implies that the extension opens Places in the sidebar, somebody's probably working on that as we speak and I don't want to steal their extension name. :-)

off the top of my head

Add Classic Sidebars
Show Classic Sidebars
ShowOldExtensions .... errr.... I mean ShowOldSidebars ;-)
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Hi Pike, good to know you're still at the cutting edge producing extensions with a purpose!

As you can see, my problem with Restore Sidebars 0.5 is almost exactly the same as Uncle Spellbinders. When I click the b/m icon or View > S/Bar etc it displays the content of the Bookmarks Menu folder whereas it needs to be looking at the folder below - Bookmarks Toolbar. Is there anyway to manipulate the path to a desired folder?

Sterling work mate, thanks.
Cheers,
Keith
Pike

Post by Pike »

Here's Classic Sidebars 0.6.

Note: If you have Restore Sidebars 0.5 or below installed you should uninstall it (else you will have two sets of sidebars). You will also need to re-customize your toolbar if you use the bookmarks/history icons.

Fixes:
- Updated to fix problems with latest nightlies.
- Added some hidden prefs (see below).

I took AnonEmoose's advice (thanks for the suggestions, as you've probably noticed, naming things is not my strong point :)) and changed the name to something a bit more descriptive. Since I'm an awkward git I also changed the id, this means you'll have to manually uninstall Restore Sidebars (there's no harm in having both installed, but there's also no benefit). If you use the toolbar icons you'll need to go to customize and re-add them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Since I still haven't figured out how to get the bookmarks toolbar to appear in the standard view I've added two hidden boolean prefs to help people out, they're both available from about:config, once you've set one, close any existing sidebar then reopen the bookmarks sidebar:

classicsidebars.placesIsRoot:
This shows the whole of Places in the sidebar (History, Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks, Subscriptions).

classicsidebars.toolbarIsRoot:
This shows just items from the bookmarks toobar in the sidebar.

I noticed some bugs in placesIsRoot, again I think these are probably bugs in Places itself but I need to investigate further.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Awesome Pike, Awesome!
Cheers,
Keith
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

keithy397 wrote:Awesome Pike, Awesome!

Seconded!
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
monabonejakon

Post by monabonejakon »

Pike wrote:@monabonejakon

The least painful way would be to close Firefox then go into <your-profile>/extensions/restoresidebars@.../chrome/content/ and load browserOverlay.xul into a text editor. Then change the following:

id="restoresidebarsBookmarksButton"

to:

id="bookmarks-button"

and change this:

id="restoresidebarsHistoryButton"

to:

id="history-button"

You'd then need to re-customize your toolbars.

Thx Pike, it worked!!!

Great job in the upgrade to Classicsidebars. Do you have plans to improve "history"?
Pike

Post by Pike »

Here's Classic Sidebars 0.6.1.

Note: If you have Restore Sidebars 0.5 or below installed you should uninstall it (else you will have two sets of sidebars). You will also need to re-customize your toolbar if you use the bookmarks/history icons.

Fixes:
- Updated to fix problems with tomorrow's nightlies.

I just noticed that after today's nightlies were built Places got updated in a way that will break Open in Tabs, this fixes it.

---

@keithy397

You can thank the Firefox devs, this is one of the easiest extensions I've ever written thanks to the extensibility of Places.

---

@monabonejakon

I don't have any specific plans, but I'm open to suggestions.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

nicely done.... cool stuff!!
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Pike wrote:@keithy397

You can thank the Firefox devs, this is one of the easiest extensions I've ever written thanks to the extensibility of Places.

OK, thanks very much to the devs for their work on Places, and for enabling Pike to create another very special extension in Classic Sidebars. I've have been using your Bookmarks Backup & Search button for about 400 years now with no problem's at all. They do what they say they'll do!
Cheers,
Keith
Pike

Post by Pike »

Here's Classic Sidebars 0.6.2.

Fixes:
- Fixed a problem with the wrong history grouping being selected after clearing the search box.
- Fixed a problem with the search box not being cleared when changing a history grouping.
- Added an updateURL*.

* I removed the updateURL from my other extensions quite a while ago because of the bandwidth hit. I'm temporarily adding it to this extension since there are bound to be a lot of updates required as Places gets fixed, once Places has stabilised I'll remove it again.