Custom Favicons in TabBrowser Extensions!!!

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Goldzilla

The 2003010702 version broke something in bookmarks

Post by Goldzilla »

I downloaded the latest release without saving the previous release and now I'm stuck. I'll send an email to Piro with the problem. Anyone know what Preferred Referrer is?
Goldzilla

.ICO filter filters out files out now

Post by Goldzilla »

Before, the filename filter didn't display but would select from a list of .ICO files when you typed the first letter or two. Now it doesn't show any .ICO files but you can type in the file if you know the filename. I sent another email off to Piro on this problem. I'm a bit stuck on the current version and I want the favicons so I'll have to live with not being able to click bookmarks from the sidebar from now.

I can get them off the menubar if I have to.

I'd recommend not installing 2003010702.
jeffml

Re: The 2003010702 version broke something in bookmarks

Post by jeffml »

Goldzilla wrote:Anyone know what Preferred Referrer is?

It sends a Referrer header along with the bookmark link. Some sites won't allow access to a page unless you were referred (linked) from a specific site/page.

Example: a direct link to <a href="https://tspweb2.tspsec.tsp.gov/">https://tspweb2.tspsec.tsp.gov/</a> will give an error unless you already came from a page on the tsp.gov web site. If you set the Preferred Referrer to http://www.tsp.gov/ the page will open automatically bypassing the error.
Goldzilla

Re: The 2003010702 version broke something in bookmarks

Post by Goldzilla »

jeffml wrote:
Goldzilla wrote:Anyone know what Preferred Referrer is?

It sends a Referrer header along with the bookmark link. Some sites won't allow access to a page unless you were referred (linked) from a specific site/page.

Example: a direct link to <a href="https://tspweb2.tspsec.tsp.gov/">https://tspweb2.tspsec.tsp.gov/</a> will give an error unless you already came from a page on the tsp.gov web site. If you set the Preferred Referrer to http://www.tsp.gov/ the page will open automatically bypassing the error.

There there would be such a thing astounds me.
Goldzilla

Anyone have the 2003010701 XPI still around?

Post by Goldzilla »

I'd appreciate it if someone had this around and could email it to me. 010702 did a number on my Phoenix installation and I'd like to get back to normal.
alanjstr

Re: Anyone have the 2003010701 XPI still around?

Post by alanjstr »

Goldzilla wrote:I'd appreciate it if someone had this around and could email it to me. 010702 did a number on my Phoenix installation and I'd like to get back to normal.

Should find out if Piro keeps a repository of them.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Goldzilla

Haven't heard from Piro

Post by Goldzilla »

I sent him a few emails on the problems that I've seen with the new releases of ContextMenu and TabBrowser Extensions. The new releases totally hosed my Mozilla installation and have problems with Phoenix though I think that I can limp along for now. I may have to trash my current Phoenix installation and go back to 20021228 if I an't get a hold of a 2003010701 XPI.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Sorry Goldzilla, I've also already upgraded to TBE 2003010702. However, it's working fine on my Phoenix 20021228 on WinXP (except that the Preferences come up blank the first time I open them).
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

thenightfly42 wrote:Sorry Goldzilla, I've also already upgraded to TBE 2003010702. However, it's working fine on my Phoenix 20021228 on WinXP (except that the Preferences come up blank the first time I open them).

I'm installing 20030106 on a test machine and will put up the new TBE and ContextMenu Extensions. There are times when the upgrade from
one release to the next doesn't work that smoothly and this may be one of those times. I may have to reload my custom configurations using cut and paste. If things work well on my test machine, then I'll try it out on my laptop. I should probably get into the habit of trying new releases on my test machine before moving it to my laptop.

The only pain about the test machine is that it's only a 200 Mhz with 512 MB of memory. Better safe than sorry though.
Goldzilla

2003-1-6 won't install XPIs.

Post by Goldzilla »

I'll give 1228 a try.
Goldzilla

Things are looking better

Post by Goldzilla »

Installed 20021228, reinstalled latest TBE and ContextMenu Extensions and everything works except for the ability to set prefs using Piro's Javascript command. It's broken in custom scripts. Of course since I can't set preferences, I can't turn on favicons using my custom script. I can clear prefs though. I'll send a note to Piro and grab one of those other extensions to set prefs.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I received the following response from Piro:
> 1. With the new "favicon" support for local images, files named *.ico
do not display in the Choose Icon navigation. Could this be added?
>
> 2. Also for the favicon support; would it be possible to connect the
chosen icon to all pages for that domain? For example, if an icon is
attached to [website.com], the page [info.website.com/default/info.htm]
would show the icon. However, if an icon is attached to
[info.website.com] no icon should appear for
[news.website.com/story1.html].

OK, I implemented them.
In the next version, these improvements will be available :-)

Woohoo!
Goldzilla

Open Any Bookmark in New Tab broken

Post by Goldzilla »

This pref is broken and it's the one giving me the type error when I click on a bookmark in the sidebar. I turned it off and things work. I can use middle click until it's fixed. It's possible that this is broken in conjunction with ContextMenu Extensions. The problem with setting prefs in custom scripts is broken but I found a workaround using the gPrefService.setBoolPref service.

So I've cobbled enough together to get things working again.

Glad you heard from Piro.
Goldzilla

801 is announced but not posted yet

Post by Goldzilla »

Lots of fixes in 010801 announced including site Favicons. The new xpis aren't posted yet. He fixed the ContextMenu Short Expressions problem too.
Goldzilla

Fixes are in the new download

Post by Goldzilla »

I have favicons working for Myway now. And the bookmark problem is fixed. Looking good.