Progress History TB extension Version 0.1.4 Released

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
zivilist

Post by zivilist »

first: there is a version 0.1.6 available (on website it shows 0.0.8: installed was the 0.1.2).
The project name on http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/ is also wrong: renamed from "Thunderbird Status Msg History" to Progress History
The link to the current MozillaZine thread is also wrong.

It is also possible to configure the time it shows the "xx of yy kb downloaded"?

thanks
Last edited by zivilist on May 4th, 2006, 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

ausdilecce
phistory.js: string 500

Code: Select all

iter++

Semicolon missing?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

just noticed that i can't copy from the "pregress messages" window. i can hilite one line only, and cannot copy ANYTHING via any method.

would you please make that window's content copy-able?

take care,
lee
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

ausdilecce
1. Little bug - in standalone window first string is invisible until selected :) And it can be selected only with keyboard - mouse can't select it :)
2. If I alt-Tab while standalone window is opened I see blank icon for this standalone window - is it possible to add icon?
3. If I have message with ftp://... link in it or pop://... link (unloaded message, headers fetched only), this link is showed in Message history when I drag mouse over these links.
4. Progress History is not shown when downloading messages with fetched headers.

BTW, is it possible to show history for current account only? I.e. I select one account and extension shows its history only, select another - history changes.
I think that would be possible, if you make current history window invisible and create one more, which will show smth like SELECT query.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Lynxx,

my phistory version = 016

[1] my "progress messages" window does NOT have an invisible top - or the bottom - msg.

[2] yes, the generic windows icon is ... icky AND not informative.

[3] & [4] i don't use "fetch headers" so i can't comment on that.

take care,
lee
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Hello :)
1. Start tb (don't open standaolne window yet). Then launch check for one of your account. Then open standalone window. In my window I see 4 messages (connecting to..., connected to..., sending login inf..., no new messages) - one is missing - "Looking up ...". Then I select first visible string and push UP-button or scroll with mouse up - and voila "looking up" is shown :).
But if I open standalone window first and then push Get Mail all messsages are seen. Or when there's too many messages and window is scrolled down - 1st message is also shown :)
3. Try to send yourself message with ftp://something link %) And then drag your mousepointer over it ;)
PS. Tb History v.0.16.
Best regards.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Lynxx,

[1] invisible top line in "progress msgs" window
yes, i see it - ONLY if it's done AFTER the 1st set of status msgs and BEFORE the next set gets added to the window. how odd! [*grin*]

[3] ftp link hover inserts link into phistory
yep.
- from the msg pane it shows this ... [dagnabbit! i wanna copy from the danged phistory window!]
[TBmain] ftp://ftp.my-test.com

- from the msg window it shows this ...
[test - ftp link with phistory - Thunderbird] ftp://ftp.my-test.com

the "Thunderbird" above is inserted by phistory, the "test - ftp link with phistory" is the subject of the msg & the "ftp://ftp.my-test.com" is the link from the msg body.

hmm, actually, i would LIKE the ability to put ALL the statusbar msgs into the phistory log. _would_ be nice to be selective about it ...

take care,
lee

Post by Merlyel »

Hellyo, Lee_Dailey :)
[test - ftp link with phistory - Thunderbird] ftp://ftp.my-test.com

[test - ftp link with phistory - Thunderbird] will be added, if you open separate window for message. Otherwise it shows either [TBMain] (in standalone window) or nothing :)
i would LIKE the ability to put ALL the statusbar msgs into the phistory log

If you hover link 10 times - it will be shown in history 10 times :) And that's not good :) But customizing could be quite easy (I think :D).

ausdilecce
5. Suppose I opened standalone window, cleared it and closed. A bit later I opened this window again but history that I've already cleared is back in this window. Is it a bug or a feature? :)
PS. D'ye mind my looking through extension, fixing\changing something? ;)
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Lynxx,

The clear button on the standalone window is NOT meant to clear the messages in the global buffer.. It is just meant to clear the messages that have been shown in the window. Don't know if its a feature or a bug, but it *was* designed that way..

I don't mind if you totally rewrite the extension, just don't then publish that as your own work..

The apparent "blank lines" seems to be a bug in TB's implementation of listboxes.. I ran into problems like you describe when I created the extension.. I had to resort to "tricks" to get the display to NOT show a complete blank!. One of the tricks I used was to resize the window ( using JS ) ever so slightly to show the lines properly.. I could never figure out *why* the lines were not displaying properly to begin with..
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

ausdilecce
Don't know if its a feature or a bug, but it *was* designed that way..

I guess that makes such behaviour a feature ;)

I don't mind if you totally rewrite the extension, just don't then publish that as your own work..

Well, I wasn't thinking about total rewriting :) Maybe disabling that ftp/pop-onhover messages I wrote about or making it customizable. Maybe try to realize my request about separate history for diff accounts :) Anyway I think I'll post it here (if I do it :) and if somebody needs it :))
PS. I don't understand, why don't missing semicolons cause errors :) Or JS treats such errors not like C++ does?..
PPS. Looks like your code can be used to disable one more window that I hate. This window appears when there are unsent messages and I restart tb - tb suggests to send 'em.
PPPS. I wish there was 'onOpenWindow' event... Then stopPropagation() could be used so no error-window would appeare at all :(
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Lynxx,
Missing semicolons cause 'warnings', not errors..

Can't really 'disable' windows (some are spawned by the core code), but the extension can be made to 'auto-respond' to question windows, and auto-close other windows.

You might want to start a new thread for these sorts of questions..
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Well, I don't see even warnings. So this is why I'm so confused :) But enough about semicolons, anyway I'm going to place them where they must be :) BTW, d'ye need their coordinates if I found any?
About windows - yes, I know that these windows can't be disabled - that's why I sigh and tell, that it would be great if such possibility existed...
tellusallaboutit

Post by tellusallaboutit »

What would be really slick is if all the information this extension grabs was written to a csv or text file somewhere. Also, there doesn't seem to be a log of sent emails. For my purposes, the most important thing to log is when I receive and send messages as opposed to every time I connect to a server, so possibly having a dialog where you can control the behavior of this plugin would be good (sorry if there already is one, but I don't see it).

I posted a new topic about a mail logger on the main board and got directed here.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 25#2276825

tellusallaboutit wrote:Is there a way to enable session logging on thunderbird? I'd like to send my employer a document that will show them how often I'm answering emails for their company.

At any rate, I know there's a way to enable logging in mozilla using a batch file, but in the future there should be a checkbox you can click that enables logging for a specific account. The batch file sounds like it would be good for diagnosis of problems, but not so much for keeping a record of all mail transactions for a given time period.

An entire tab in the account settings dialog could be devoted to logging, actually. You could have it automatically create files for a time period - week or month, etc.

Its a good idea for an extention.

Thanks for all your hard programming work, I appreciate it!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Tellusaboutit,

Of course, logging the status messages is possible BUT, the only text that get posted to the History box are those which TB's core code posts to the statusbar of particular windows. I would think that you want this extension to log certain info about messages that are received and/or sent.. This info is NOT posted to the statusbars of ANY windows, and therefore, are not currently 'loggable'

Now, if you told me what kinds of info about messages sent/received *maybe* I can garner that info and post it to a file.
some info might be subject,sender,recipient,date etc..
pluk77

Post by pluk77 »

Is the supportware.net site down, or is it just my connection that is failing me..