Where'd my GoogleBar GO!!!!

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
ck42

Where'd my GoogleBar GO!!!!

Post by ck42 »

I'm not talking about the built-in search bar....I'm talking about the extension GoogleBar I installed.

Was running great for about 2 weeks and then I fire up a new session yesterday and it's not there!
So....ok. I go thru the reinstall process. .46 first, then install .45
Start PX again....and still no GoogleBar!!!

Arghhh!
I don't know about anyone else but personally, I use the CRAP out of it!
The built-in one doesn't cut it for me....doesn't have all the options that I use from the real GoogleBar.

Anyone else have a dissapearing GoogleBar?
...or, know what the heck is going on?
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

ck42

Post by ck42 »

Neil.

Ja, I ran across some of this info.

"By going to View-Show/hide-Google Toolbar and selecting this option twice (once to clear the checkbox and once to make it show up), you can get it back. Work on a better way to hide the googlebar for pop-up windows is underway."

Only thing is, these are directions for Mozilla. I even went thru the Bug reports and tried some *fixes* posted there that involved editing some .js and .rdf files........no luck there either.

thanks tho.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Try: tools, preferences, themes & extensions, extensions, googlebar, disable, enable.

If that doesn't help, export your bookmarks, delete all except the Bookmark Toolbar Folder, import from file you exported to, and delete second occurrence of Bookmark Toolbar Folder.

If it still doesn't work, go to the profiles directory and delete file "xul.mfl".

Don't know why, but these measures have helped me clear up various problems at different times.
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Thanks for tips Neil....unfortunately, none of those 3 methods worked. :((((

I'll try emailing the authors and see if they have any idea.
hiTCH-HiKER

Post by hiTCH-HiKER »

I installed the pie menu and since then the Googlebar is gone...
old Neil Parks

download vs install

Post by old Neil Parks »

There are 2 links for each version (0.45 and 0.46) of googlebar. If the "install" link doesn't work for you, try the "download" link. Don't know what the practical difference is, since both offer to install the thing. But they seem to be slightly different in exactly what it is they are installing.
clav

Post by clav »

the difference between the install and download links should just be that the download link is straight to the .xpi file (which you are then offered a chance to install because the server is sending the correct mimetype), whereas the install link runs a small javascript to start the installation. It probably loads the same xpi
VinceVW

Post by VinceVW »

Yeah well, I tried installing it which works, but 1. it does not show up anywhere 2. can't even enable/disable it in the preferences since it's not there either. Weird stuff!!
ck42

Post by ck42 »

ja....I even did a reinstall of PX to try and get the GoogleBar back.
No go....must mean it has something to do with the user profile.

guess the only way to try that is blast the PX dir and the profile dir and start 100% from scratch. :(
ck42

Post by ck42 »

well....I finally found the file that is causing the dissapearing GoogleBar. Even found the statement that is being changed in the file.

It's the localstore.rdf file.

In there is a line that looks like this:
<RDF:Description about="chrome://browser/content/browser.xul#googlebar"
hidden="false" />

That false statement gets changed to True and causes my GoogleBar to dissapear.
Now....if we can only figure out what's causing the statement change.....