How to uninstall "Blue Frog" COMPLETELY

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mike_hunt

spread lies and get caught with your pants down

Post by mike_hunt »

hi mike hunt?,

yes you definatly are the shit on our shoes, i installed bluefrog as soon as you and your buddies attacked bluefrog, if you actually look into what you say, you sound like you've had presidential trainning in the art of bullshit, and disguise it with part fact/part truth but wrong conentation. you would do well if you actually had a real job, you should apply to the chinese propaganda agency, your that good!

i love bluefrog, i can't wait for them to get back on their feet so i can see the mask come on my froggie.

power to the frog!
mike_hunt

Post by mike_hunt »

i forgot to mention that, the more time the spammers use by spreading fud and not spam is a win in my book, if bluefrog was so bad, why hasn't any of the a/v antispyware companies put out signatures to remove it? oh wait, i think your story has a huge hole in it, your probably going to say they are stupid and evil and spyware too! if only your mother knew what you were doing up at night! i think she'd disown you.

mr mike hunt, bluefrog must have done somthing since it got all the spamfuckers up in arms over it all.. seriously i know there are some stupid fuckers out there that buy your fake products.
sleze

Post by sleze »

500,000 people seem to like it and one guy seems to REALLY dislike it. Hmm...mike, could Bluefrog be hurting your business? BTW...lets all take a moment to look up troll on wikipedia.
Nemesis7485

Post by Nemesis7485 »

I have been running Blue frog for almost five months now and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it works. I used to get DOZENS of pieces of spam in my one registered account and it is now down to almost zero. Infact, for the last three and a half days, i have received exactly THREE pieces of spam.

I am very happy with the way it is working and have NO reservations about reccomending anyone to sign up. :)
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’
Tatsfield

Post by Tatsfield »

I think that the major part of the problem that sceptics like mike18xx have with Blue Security is that they fail to understand the principle upon which Blue Security are hoping to create a very big business. They confuse the blue frog with other anti spam applications. They cannot really see how the blue frog is going to “work”. They repeat the lies that Blue Security's system is based on a denial of service attack policy, which it is not. Other anti spam applications are personal umbrellas against spam falling on the victim's mailbox. Generally the umbrella, whether it shields the victim well or not, does not change the weather and it keeps raining spam. On the other hand Blue Security is attempting to create a protected area where the spammers will not rain on anyone who is on the inside. It is not an attempt to destroy the ability of spammers to operate but to create an incentive to negotiate with the major spammers for a spam free life for the members of the blue community. It will go on raining outside on anyone who will not pay to be allowed into the spam free zone.

The Blue Security system requires there to be enough members of the Blue Community to create a sufficiently massive legitimate opt out response to spammers that they agree to leave the community alone. Blue Security needs to create sufficient awareness to encourage a sufficiently large number of people to join the community. But at the end of the day the blue frog is not a protection from or a destroyer of spam like other anti spam products. It is just the means of creating a big enough stick to wave at spammers to convince them to leave us alone and to concentrate their efforts on others. And that is why it stands a very good chance of working. But it is also why many do not understand it.

The spammers will have to settle for a smaller and smaller market as more and more internet users sign up with Blue Security. If the system really does provide a sheltered area, it will become a very saleable commodity. Blue Security can sell the concept of a spam free internet zone to large organisations who will willingly pay really good money to be allowed in. Some day you could find that a computer is not only sold with an operating system, bundled software and internet access but “free” Blue Community membership for its owner. And Blue Security will be paid for that in the same way that MS are paid for Windows on millions of PCs.

But guys like mike18xx still do not see that this is possibly the beginning of a new era on the internet and that the blue frog is not just another spam filter. However, having endured the recent spam wars for about 3 days, during which time I only received a couple of threatening e-mails and no 'ordinary spam', subsequently I am not receiving ANY spam at all. I'm not claiming that my experience is representative but I feel that I am the lucky beneficiary of the withdrawal by the large scale spammers who were dominating my mailbox. Others may still be spamming Blue Community members but the ones who were making my life a misery have made their peace with Blue Security and consequently I'm in the clear. That's how the Blue system is supposed to work. So why would I want to uninstall it from my PC?

I rather like the fact that Blue Security help me to inform the clients of the spammers that I don't want their attentions. I would have found it too time consuming to do all on my own and I would have had little hope that they would take any notice of me. They have now and all mike18xx can say against my happy situation is that he has some unfounded belief that Blue Security will spam me in the future, knowing full well that I am one of the declared people who does not want to buy anything. Why would anyone want to send me offers in those circumstances? Spam is not spotty youth graffiti culture on the internet. It is an illegal marketing tool akin to fly posting. The clients will support it while they stand to make money but even they are not interested in just sending nuisance mail for the sake of it.

The degree of interest and persistent venom which mike18xx exposes in this thread is rather strange. Why is he so interested in bad mouthing Blue Security cloaked under the guise of a purely technical exchange about how to remove an extension which many users will not only not want to remove but will be benefitting from? The degree of ire in his postings rather exposes that he does have a bias in this matter. He fully ignores Blue Security's business motives and attempts to brand them as the very people they are helping to combat. He lambasts anyone who supports them with highly intemperate language. What is his bias? I'm not saying that he is a spammer as I couldn't prove it but I can say that he is self evidently very angy about Blue Security. It certainly isn't on my behalf so in whose cause is he so upset?

I apologise for the long posting but this guy is so aggresive that he needs answering and others need to hear an opposing point of view.
Win7 - Firefox 29.0.1 Thunderbird 24.5.0
Grnch

Post by Grnch »

FatJohn wrote:Well, it could of course be that this all is a stage act. We only know about the evil spammer dude launching the ddos because blue security told us so...

Well, that plus half of the blogging sites out there going down in flames (all the TypePad and LiveJournal blogs, which are both owned and hosted by Six Apart), and DNS servers at one of the larger DNS providers (Tucows) being flooded causing many of their costumers' registered domains to be unaccessible. Or are Tucows and Six Apart in on it too?

mike18xx wrote:Why does Blue Frog leave traces of itself all over your system when you de-install it?

As others have already stated, many other extensions do so, it's just the current state of the Firefox extension uninstall process, also the files left behind are not active code, so none of the Blue Frog code is actually running after you uninstall it, it's just wasting a few bytes of disk space.

mike18xx wrote:If you cite any evidence to the effect that Blue Frog actually stops rather than instigates spam (rather than *confirming* that it's utterly useless at best), then you'll have a logically-premised foundation upon which to proceed to the conclusion that any spammers out there might be inconvenienced enough to be "angry" about it

Well, I can only cite my personal experience with it, just as you do. When I installed Blue Frog long time ago, for many months it had no effect whatsoever (and I have been monitoring my weekly spam numbers for some time), but I still got a kick out of knowing that spammers' order forms are being filled with opt-out requests and that they have to deal with the same trouble of sorting out and deleting those opt-out requests, just as I am forced to do with spam. I freely admit it, I was gloating. That was the only real benefit I got from Blue Frog - satisfying childish revenge impulses.

But in those days, the Blue Frog community was quite tiny, only about 10 thousand email addresses in the registry, so it wasn't on the spammers' radars yet. Then, one day, I noticed a sudden drop in my weekly spam. From 200-300 per week, it went down to less than 100 per week. I thought it was just a fluke, a slow week for spammers or something, but it persisted for several weeks. So, I went to the Blue Frog site (which I hadn't visited in a while) to see if anyone else has the same experience, and I noticed several newest announcements that some big-shot spammers had agreed to comply with the Blue Frog registry, and that some popular spam-sending software used by many spammers had included support for automatic filtering of Blue Frog addresses in its latest version. Also, I noticed that the Blue Frog community has now grown to several hundred thousand protected email addresses. So, my drop in spam wasn't a coincidence. The Blue Frog was finally causing a blip on the radar. BTW, those low numbers of spam have persisted to this very day, dropping lower ever so slightly.

Until, of course, these latest attacks when I got a temporary upsurge in spam. But that is only because some spammer decided to pay more attention to the Blue Frog protected addresses that were already in his list. My address was already in his list, so I was already receiving tons of spam from him anyway, this upsurge wasn't really a big deal. Predictably, he wore out after a few days, so now spam levels are back to the usual. There is just no profit in it for him to spend effort spamming Blue Frog addresses, since they will only result in more opt-out requests, and I think we can safely say that none of those spams will ever result in an actual purchase. He would be much better off actually serving his clients, by sending spam to other addresses, than wasting time on Blue Frog.

BTW, the method the spammer used to determine which addresses from his list belong to Blue Frog is simply by comparing his original list with the one scrubbed by Blue Security compliance tools. This method is in not some kind of ingenious "crack" of the Blue Frog list, as some make it out to be. This was known from day one by Blue Security, and all who bothered to read how Blue Frog actually works. In fact, it's the whole point of the Do Not Intrude registry: to let the spammer know which addresses on his list will result in a net loss to his business, and allow him to easily remove them.

mike18xx wrote:I installed it on a BRAND-SPANKING NEW Gmail account which had been "alive" for two weeks, but never used, and was bombarded within hours, and it didn't let up for two weeks after a complete clean-out. I installed it on a many-years-old Yahoo! address (which gets about a fifty spams a day, nearly all of which Yahoo! auto-filters into the "bulk" folder), and was immediately bombarded with over a dozen spams a day which Yahoo! auto-filters did NOT sort into the bulk folder.

I'm not going to try to discredit you, or call you a spammer and a criminal as some rabid Blue Frog supporters do (it's understandable tho, people are getting quite frustrated with spam). It's indeed quite plausible that you have encountered problems with Blue Frog. After all, software is a complex thing. The global email distribution system is an even more complex beast. There are many, many factors that could influence the amount of spam you receive. I can accept that there might possibly be some obscure bug in Blue Frog that, combined with some particular factors in your situation, caused an increase in spam. It might be just a temporary effect in the aftermath of the attacks on Blue Security, or it might be something deeper, I just can't say.

But, what I can say with almost 100% certainty is that your situation is definitely not typical of other Blue Frog members. There are now more than half a million subscribed email addresses, yet aside from a few isolated incidents I can find no other people complaining about any serious increase in spam caused by Blue Frog (aside from this recent upsurge which is already subsiding). If there is really a problem, it's apparently affecting only a microscopic minority of the Blue Frog members, and I'm sure Blue Security will fix it in due time. For the vast majority it's working fine, otherwise we would have seen much more noise and clamor being raised on various forums. BTW, the link you posted to some more alleged evidence of Blue Frog problems doesn't work, it points to nothing.

So, your rabid whining and urging everyone to uninstall by spreading half-truths, unconfirmed suspicions and exaggerations doesn't really do wonders for your credibility, especially in light of the fact that the problem you are experiencing seems to be quite rare (and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here by not assuming you are outright lying).

Also, posting detailed instructions on how to obtain pirated software through P2P networks doesn't help your integrity and credibility either.

P.S. Don't bother checking my profile, I have been a member here far longer than you. I don't post much, only when I see something so blatantly wrong or misguided that I must respond. Apologies to everyone for the overly long post, but this guy had to be rebutted.
Last edited by Grnch on May 10th, 2006, 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
sw_puppet

Post by sw_puppet »

mike18xx is one in a long line of spammers or what are called anti-haters that are waging a little Internet war against bluefrog. bluefrog takes spams and uses the opt-out to remove users from the spam lists. the extension just allows it to work with webmail.

They have been attacked relentlessly via blackholeing, ddos and slander. So I suspect what they are doing is working.

I am not affiliated in any way with bluefrog.
spaztick1

Post by spaztick1 »

I've used the frog for several months and have noticed my spam steadily decline. For the last week an angry spammer has been attacking the community and I have been receiving lots of spam and bouncebacks because he is using my email address in his spam. He wouldn't be this angry if Bluefrog wasn't working. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which addresses are members of Bluefrog. All he had to do was compare his mailing list before and after cleaning it with Blue Securities program. That doesn't make Blue Security spammers. Two major spammers have agreed to remove BlueFrog users from their lists already.
Spammers are in it for the money. If you cost them money the smart ones don't want you on their lists and will remove you.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Grnch wrote:
FatJohn wrote:Well, it could of course be that this all is a stage act. We only know about the evil spammer dude launching the ddos because blue security told us so...

Well, that plus half of the blogging sites out there going down in flames (all the TypePad and LiveJournal blogs, which are both owned and hosted by Six Apart), and DNS servers at one of the larger DNS providers (Tucows) being flooded causing many of their costumers' registered domains to be unaccessible. Or are Tucows and Six Apart in on it too?

True. I must have been a bit sleepy when typing that... Sorry.
holy_saiyan1

Post by holy_saiyan1 »

Mike18xx is just spreading FUD about BlueFrog because it makes his unsavory job that much harder. If BlueFrog was really a spam sign-up list, then why would spammers be so virulently against it? You'd think they'd be all for it, and maybe even encourage people to use it.

Ignore Mike18xx. He's one of them, and he wants to kill that which can not be killed.

Save the world! Download the Frog!
mike18xx

Post by mike18xx »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/profile.p ... e&u=213302
http://forums.mozillazine.org/profile.p ... e&u=213338

Hahahahahaha! More sent-over cheerleaders, bringing their tubs of koolaid and little red books.

And then there's Grnch, who hasn't posted for a year and a half, but found time out of his busy schedule for defending this sig-file spamming crapware:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.ph ... thor=Grnch

And why does holy_Saiyan's post resemble a fill-in-the-blanks Turing-machine-generated SPAM response?

("Spammers be so virulently against" BlueFrog? You're asking me to believe that Russian and Nigerian trojan-bot writers give a runny shit about cease-and-desists? Do you think mail bounces off open-servers works? -- You people are BRAIN-DEAD CULTISTS.)
XxWyldRoguexX

Post by XxWyldRoguexX »

Yep... Mike18xx is full of shyt. Loves the way he takes his time to pick technical sounding jargon to sound like he's some kind of intelligent individual that uses these jargons daily (NOT)

I mean c'mon Mike.... the ONLY PEOPLE I see slamming the Frog is you, some friends of mine that make a living sending out 'emails' & of course, thier friends. I find it humorous to her my buddies complain that they receive numerous opt-outs at thier accounts as well as warnings from thier providers about thier activities. (Truth be known, most ISPs turn a blind eye to the spammers UNTIL they start getting complaints from thier 'paying' customers, then they start 'policing' thier users to save face so that NEW customers would want to use thier services).
I for one am tired of always sifting thru tons of spam just to read my VALID emails. I also CANNOT stand the fact that my 13 yr old daughter's account gets flooded with spam about sexual aids, pills & the likes. There should be a law to hold the originating email's SMTP server host accountable for corrupting minors by sending ADULT materials to thier email accounts. From what I understand, soliciting to a minor IS against the law.

SO you & your spammer buddies can keep whining & crying whilst the BlueFrog community keeps up the fight against spam & your bland rhetorics of how the Frog is bad. Yep, the Frog is bad.... for you!! LOL

Go Frog Go!!
spaztick1

Post by spaztick1 »

Mike...I thought you wanted the opinions of people who use BlueFrog. I gave my honest opinion. It works and it irritates spammers to the point that they feel the need to attack the community. The spammers do care. A flood of opt out requests bogs down their systems. They expect a small percentage of traffic to be generated from their spew. If more people would get involved the spam problem would just go away. Do you like to see all that crap in your inbox?
mike18xx

Post by mike18xx »

The responses remain as lockstep-similar as the enforced program at a Siberian Stalinist retreat: "If anyone criticizes our glorious LameFrog for spamming -- call <i>them</i> a spammer! Do it over and over and over and over! Do it ten times a page to bury his commentary!"

Every single one is airy fluff, devoid of any particulars, brain-dead in the extreme as if from little old ladies who first learned to turn on a computer this very afternoon -- or worded to cater specifically to such.

And not a single one will ever address any of the listed objections (<b>SUCH AS THE ONE IN WHICH LAME FROG HIJACKS AND SPAMS YAHOO! AND GMAIL SIG FILES</b>), save to to accuse the person making them of lying.
mike18xx

Post by mike18xx »

spaztick1 wrote:Mike...I thought you wanted the opinions of people who use BlueFrog.
No, you did not "think" that, because absolutely nothing in this thread indicates that I was ever seeking out the opinions of BlueFrog users. No, that's merely a bullshit, throw-away one-liner which you just made up.
I gave my honest opinion.
That's not true either -- you're just here to SPAM YOUR PRODUCT; and the proof is in the fact that your only recorded posts off a brand spankin' new account are on the subject of BlueFrog and submitted within the last 24hours.

I say you're just a *shill* sent over to do a job. <i>(Scene: The boilerplate-manufacturing room at BlueFrog, where Team Leader is barking out orders: "We got a 'Code-1' emergency, people! Someone is uncomfortably close to the truth-that-must-not-be-revealed over in the Mozilla forums, and I need all of you to drop whatever you're doing and head over there to make new accounts, then use them to stuff his thread full of glorious testimonials inbetween calling him a liar!")</i>)
Last edited by mike18xx on May 10th, 2006, 10:42 am, edited 7 times in total.