Bookmarks Synchronizer (FTP)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
scragz

Post by scragz »

I really hope this extension stabalizes soon, but I won't use it until it does. Bookmarks are too valuable to lose.
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

I just closed the wrong browser window. I had a detailed reply all typed out as I was testing. Anyway, I am having similar issues. I have figured out that I looks the bookmark toolbar in mozilla if it is modified in an outside source (in my case the open source syncit), firebox creates a new folder. . .and forgets which folder I set to be the bookmark toolbar (in my case the synced Links folder)
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

grayrest wrote:I've set up a share, which I'll keep up for the rest of the day:
https://r39h92.res.gatech.edu/anonymous/testrepository/

user:anonymous
pass:firefox

It'll be down again tomorrow because it's not too smart to run an open share for any length of time. Cheers.

today is "tomorrow"? Anyway, thanks.

>bde

Thanks, maybe I can fix it.

>Tecfan
I'm not too sure what you are talking about, though I think I know what's wrong with my extension.
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

All I am saying is that I am having issues with the Bookmark toolbar similar to one of the issues here. I will check out your plugin as well. I am really enjoying having my bookmarks sync between browsers and computers with syncit.

I ran into this thread trying to find out if anyone else is having similar issues with the bookmark bar. You plugin looks great. The problem is that I am not totally ready to switch to only firefox, though I am really enjoying using it. . .

Thanks for developing this plugin! :-) Now that I am getting used to having my bookmarks synced. . .I am starting to think it would be great to have the rest of my firefox settings and plugins synced as well. . .sorry, "you give them an inch and they ask for a mile" :-)

Enjoy
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

bdeonline wrote:Nope its doing it again, I've been adding some bookmarks from windows xp computers today. I come home to Linux and the bookmarks wont work from the Bookmarks Toolbar again.
I took alook at my bookmarks.html from both Linux and Windows and they do have some different things:

Code: Select all

From Windows XP:
<DT><A HREF="http://www.mozillazine.org" ADD_DATE="1076862768" LAST_MODIFIED="1076862768" ID="rdf:#$ZZr9z2">Mozillazine</A>

From Suse Linux:
<DT><A HREF="http://www.mozillazine.org" ADD_DATE="1077060467" LAST_MODIFIED="1077060467" SHORTCUTURL="" ID="rdf:#$jabJI2">Mozillazine</A>

Both using Firefox 0.8 and Bookmarks FTP 0.8.2

New version is out.
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... p0_8_3.xpi
Could you try it again? If it still has the same problem, I have no idea about linux...

BTW, I added menuitem just because a bit easier than toolbar button.

>TechFan
IIRC, there are some projects similar to what you said. mozdev or somewhere.
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Great Torisugari! And yes, you are right, a menu option under Bookmarks makes more sense than a button!

Btw, I run your extension on my linux laptop too and haven't experienced any problem as described by some users. No idea why...

L
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

Actually. . .I checked out all the bookmark syncing developments just earlier this week. The open source syncit is working like a charm, except for this Bookmark Toolbar issue. Can you help point me to a reference on how the firefox formatted bookmarks file has changed? I have the source for syncit in front of me and it compiles (big step for me since I haven't done much programming since I graduated - have gone the sysadmin route), so I might try to fix whatever is causing firefox to decide it needs a new bookmark toolbar folder.

Thanks.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

TechFan wrote:Actually. . .I checked out all the bookmark syncing developments just earlier this week. The open source syncit is working like a charm, except for this Bookmark Toolbar issue. Can you help point me to a reference on how the firefox formatted bookmarks file has changed?

Yhea,
bonsai rocks
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172113

And again, old btf(Bookmark Toolbar Folder) ID was constant value "NC:PersonalToolbarFolder". And Firefox's btf's ID is not const value. instead btf has BookmarkToolbarFolder property and its value is "true". You can confirm these easily. Please take a look at bookmarks.html. I guess syncit would be just reading / writing that html file.

Btw, I run your extension on my linux laptop too and haven't experienced any problem as described by some users. No idea why...

oops.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Ok I tried the latest 0.8.3 what it seems to be is when I turn on both auto download and upload it won't let me select from the Bookmarks Toolbar and this time it won't let me also change anything in the url bar. But when I uncheck auto download and upload my problems go away and I can use everything like I am suppose to.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

How about only either auto download or auto upload?
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

Ok. I see how Firefox is marking the toolbar folder. . .where was this NC:PersonalToolbarFolder setting before (in the bookmark file?) I can't seem to find it in a bookmark.html file.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

new bookmarks.html

<H3 ADD_DATE="1077195848" PERSONAL_TOOLBAR_FOLDER="true" ID="rdf:#$HyJRP">Toolbar</H3>

old bookmarks.html

<H3 ADD_DATE="1077195848" ID="NC:PersonalToolbarFolder">Toolbar</H3>

OK? So, there's no backward compatibility. If you use new bookmarks in mozilla or older than fb0.7, toolbar will be blank.
Last edited by Torisugari on February 19th, 2004, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

Ok. I found the default bookmarks.html files for Netscape 4.76, Mozilla 1.6, and Firefox 0.8 - now I can see the differences. It looks like syncit is at this point writing the mozilla and firefox bookmarks all in the way that netscape used to do it. . .so it is losing information. . .I will have to see if I can figure out the code. . .not sure I have time for that. . .ugh.

Edit: Just saw your reply. Thanks for your help.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

You're welcome.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Torisugari wrote:How about only either auto download or auto upload?
More testing made me realize it is only on download both auto download and manual download. It works ok if I download manually then restart firefox. You maybe able to get some help from <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15">cdn</a> he is the extention gru.