Open in browser extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
OldManRivuh

Re: Open in browser extension

Post by OldManRivuh »

What am I missing? Right now it only has View Source. Do I have to put in every mime type I want to use manually using about:config?

If so, why isn't there some standard defaults, or at least a list for those of us who either don't know about what should be entered, or don't know what standard mime types to use.

I want Firefox to open PHP files locally on my hard drive as simple HTML files, which it used to do, but doesn't anymore.

So some list should be offered, on the website, or here, for at least:

plain text
HTML
???
Stanimir Stamenkov

Post by Stanimir Stamenkov »

This extension seems to work just fine with SeaMonkey 2.0 (I've installed it having the extension compatibility check turned off). Could you please mark it as SeaMonkey 2.0.* compatible on the AMO site? I guess you would need to add just few things as described here:

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.extensions/msg/24fc79f8e7f87720

to make it complete.
Sylvain Pasche

Post by Sylvain Pasche »

iven wrote:Very nice extension, thanks.

I've recently come across the fact that Thunderbird has a similar problem - sometimes the sender doesn't specify the correct mimetype of an attachment, so the user is just prompted to save the file (no "open with"-dialogue, either).
Do you think this extension could be made to work with Thunderbird as well, given that it shares lot of code with Firefox, and can i.e. display text and html similar to Firefox? This would be rather useful for a lot of "text-only" attachments like logfiles...

Cheers

Hi,
I doubt it could work in Thunderbird out of the box. The extension works with HTTP URLs by modifying the headers. However that wouldn't work for Thunderbird attachments. However patches are welcome if somebody can make it work there :wink:

Sylvain
Sylvain Pasche

Post by Sylvain Pasche »

OldManRivuh wrote:What am I missing? Right now it only has View Source. Do I have to put in every mime type I want to use manually using about:config?

If so, why isn't there some standard defaults, or at least a list for those of us who either don't know about what should be entered, or don't know what standard mime types to use.

I want Firefox to open PHP files locally on my hard drive as simple HTML files, which it used to do, but doesn't anymore.

So some list should be offered, on the website, or here, for at least:

plain text
HTML
???

Hi,
You are hitting a technical limitation. Documents opened from your hard drive (file:/// URLs) can only be opened as source (using the view-source: protocol). All other mime types, such as XML, HTML, ... only work with HTTP URLs. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be trivial to fix this issue.

Sylvain
Sylvain Pasche

Post by Sylvain Pasche »

Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:This extension seems to work just fine with SeaMonkey 2.0 (I've installed it having the extension compatibility check turned off). Could you please mark it as SeaMonkey 2.0.* compatible on the AMO site? I guess you would need to add just few things as described here:

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.extensions/msg/24fc79f8e7f87720

to make it complete.

Hi,
If you can send me a patch that works in SeaMonkey and also includes an entry in the View menu, I can upload a new version with SeaMonkey support.

Sylvain
unholy

Post by unholy »

Great extension, much friendlier than Mason, that i used for same purpose (with docs in Chinese...).

I have request for a new feature (or new addon, as it is not directly related).

Once upon a time there was nice small and handy browser called Opera. Then some lusability ideologists got their hands on it and now we have a huge security hole that is more resource hungry than Firefox, slower than Chrome, and has most usable features either removed or replaced with ones slow enough to be useless.

One removed great feature was a "Send URI to the program instead of downloading it" checkbox in the "Open with program" section of the download dialog. I think there is no need to explain how handy it was.

Right now it is possible to emulate this somehow by defining custom "download managers" in FlashGot or by customizing mozplugger on non-Microsoft OS, but this approach is far from being flexible or user friendly. A checkbox in the download dialog, like the one that was in Opera is really the best solution.

I understand that this is a bit out of the scope of your addon, but still it is one of the few addons that modify the download dialog.
alexo

Post by alexo »

Getting buttons cut off:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2i9361e&s=8

Ideas?