Compact Menu Extension [Updated Again]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
cdn

Compact Menu Extension [Updated Again]

Post by cdn »

2003-01-19 : I'm adding the AltStyle Extension to Compact Menu (and for those of us who dev the Webdev Extension - with the redundant entry for JS Console removed)

expect it soonish, unless someone wants something else (feasible) added ?

2003 01 18

Updated:

now has prefs : http://themes.mozdev.org/compact-20030118.xpi

--

is there any interest (as if I need to ask : )) in an extension that replicates the menubar entries as a menu from a dragNdrop button ?

then all you need is this extension and

#toolbar-menubar {
display: none !important;
}

in your userChrome.css

at least until browser.xul changes and the menus change

notes:

Bookmarks menu separators (and other dynamically generated separators) are a bit quirky, since it's just wholesale xul-theft

I probably need a theme neutral button pair for this, something that conveys menus of the form

Code: Select all

[button]
        File >
        Edit >

... until something better comes along, I'm using my avatar ...

had thought of using flii's bttrflii or something - anyone got any better ideas ?

http://themes.mozdev.org/compact-20030112.xpi
Last edited by cdn on January 19th, 2003, 10:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Someone did ask for that. I think that would be ... interesting.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
cdn

Post by cdn »

it isn't the context menu option though, which I think was more recently asked for

although any extension that does something like this will mean less people having to hack the source to their liking, only to have to repeat the process the next time they get a build, be it milestone or nightly
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

cdn wrote:it isn't the context menu option though, which I think was more recently asked for

although any extension that does something like this will mean less people having to hack the source to their liking, only to have to repeat the process the next time they get a build, be it milestone or nightly

If your extension is configurable as to which menu items people see, I think that would be cool.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
cdn

Post by cdn »

alanjstr wrote:
cdn wrote:it isn't the context menu option though, which I think was more recently asked for

If your extension is configurable as to which menu items people see, I think that would be cool.

it's xul theft at present, so any flii-like userChrome to hide entries will probably (confirmed) hide items ...

any code to do this would be similar, probably

I'm only hacking out simplistic extensions, not full-blown masterpieces, this is why the code is in http://orbits.mozdev.org cvs, so people can laugh at it and improve
Last edited by cdn on January 12th, 2003, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAF

Post by RAF »

I would very much like to have it...
RAF

Post by RAF »

It's GREAT !!
Visceral

Excellent.

Post by Visceral »

Once it can be made to show edited out menu items from the userChrome.css, I would probably use it instead of having ANY menu items up. Saves screen space.
cdn

Re: Excellent.

Post by cdn »

Visceral wrote:Once it can be made to show edited out menu items from the userChrome.css, I would probably use it instead of having ANY menu items up. Saves screen space.

any flii-like userChrome to hide entries will hide items

although I'm looking at Moz extension code (particularly Diggler) to find suitable xul/js to toggle entries (top level to start off with)
aanatoly

Post by aanatoly »

thanks, very usefull extention!
RAF

Post by RAF »

cdn wrote:any flii-like userChrome to hide entries will hide items

I don't display Edit and Go on the menu bar. They are still present in your extension.
Not that I mind. I can move the mouse easily enough, but they are not disabled (if that's what you mean here).

Could it be done to sort the options in your dropdown button extension?
I'd like to have Bookmarks on top, Help beneath it, etc. (it's not a big issue, I wouldn't rewrite it just for that if I were you :) )
cdn

Post by cdn »

RAF wrote:
cdn wrote:any flii-like userChrome to hide entries will hide items

I don't display Edit and Go on the menu bar. They are still present in your extension.
Not that I mind. I can move the mouse easily enough, but they are not disabled (if that's what you mean here).

you do have

menu[label="Edit"],
menu[label="Go"] {
display: none !important;
}

in your userChrome.css ?

RAF wrote:Could it be done to sort the options in your dropdown button extension?
I'd like to have Bookmarks on top, Help beneath it, etc. (it's not a big issue, I wouldn't rewrite it just for that if I were you :) )

one thing at a time, I haven't sorted out how to hide via prefs yet
RAF

Post by RAF »

Yes, I have.

It's no big deal. I would rather have all the options available, as long as it is in your extension, so it doesn't take screen real estate.

But I was under the impression that someone suggested that IF you have menu items disabled through userChrome, they would NOT show up in your drop down.

Again, fantastic extension!
cdn

Post by cdn »

RAF wrote:Yes, I have.

It's no big deal. I would rather have all the options available, as long as it is in your extension, so it doesn't take screen real estate.

But I was under the impression that someone suggested that IF you have menu items disabled through userChrome, they would NOT show up in your drop down.

Again, fantastic extension!

I believe I suggested it, because on my (Linux) copy of 0.4, and my cvs builds it works
RAF

Post by RAF »

Maybe it's windows specific.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021228 Phoenix/0.5

I have all the default options in your dropdown, while File, Edit, Bookmarks, Tools and Help on the menu bar.

For me, this is how I want it.
If Linux is different then I'm out of my league; I know nothing about it..