miniT 20110327

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
akaidiot

Post by akaidiot »

I've found a , for me, major bug in your superb minit extension. If I turn "open new tab next to current" it slows down opening new tabs.

The easiest way to duplicate this is to close all your tabs and turn "open next to current" on and then open a bookmark group of 5+ tabs. You will see the tabs opening one and one from left to right.

If you turn off "open next to current" and open the group once again. You will see how the tabs show up instantly!

This is a major bug in my opinion and hurts my browsing experience severly. Please let me know what you think.

Fixing this and make "open next to current" as fast as when not is my #1 request. All extensions included! Please, I'm begging you. Don't make me go back to Maxthon! :cry:
akaidiot

Post by akaidiot »

I've now done some testing and it gets slower with 20+ tabs. In firefox I always get a delay, not much but noticable. The delay is porhaps 0.5-2 seconds depending on how busy firefox is when I open the tab and how many tabs I have opened.

Since firefox is built for opening a new tab in the backround porhaps it can only be fixed with a core update? The delay is eliminated when disabling the "open next to current" feature. But porhaps the feature has to be integrated in the core to work as fast as when opening new tabs regularly.

Try out maxthon here. It's like night and day. With maxthon the new tabs are opened instantly, with firefox there is always a delay, although super-short..
dorando

Post by dorando »

I do not see any noticable delay with "tablib.tabs_open_relative" set to true (miniT) or "Open new tabs next to the current one" (Tab Mix)
Support mozilla.dorando.at through donations/contributions.
akaidiot

Post by akaidiot »

dorando wrote:I do not see any noticable delay with "tablib.tabs_open_relative" set to true (miniT) or "Open new tabs next to the current one" (Tab Mix)

noticable is subjective :D

I can defenetly notice a slight difference in time until the new tab is activated when "open next to current" is activated and when it's not.

Do the open tab groups of 5+ websites test. You defenetly will see the difference in speed opening all the tabs. I've tried it on several computers. It is defenetly not a procession power issue either. I get the exact same behaviour on my desktop AMD64 3000+ and my notebook P4 2.8GHz computers, they both have 1024MB Ram.

I would think that the cause of this is that firefox itself by default opens the new tab in the far right and then miniT reorganizes it and that's what's causing this tiny delay?
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Is miniT 20050216 working for everyone with Firefox 1.0.1?

I've had two occurrences where, after dragging a tab to change the order of the tabs, I end up with tabs that can't be closed, and the scrollwheel also stops switching tabs. Closing the browserwindow seems to be the only fix for this.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223; I also have many other extensions, the ones that affect tabs are Duplicate Tab 0.5.1 and Click2Tab 0.9.3.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

The latest MiniT drag&indicator (and many other tabrelated extensions) cause Firefox 1.0+ (build after 20050307 07PST) to crash.
I filed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=285244 for it containing crashdetails
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
RockOfVictory

More about Boulema and MiniT+?

Post by RockOfVictory »

dorando wrote:
gessi2000 wrote:Hello,
I just installed miniT and want to use it that way, that a DoubleClick on my Tochpad closes a Tab.
How can I configure miniT that way?
I can't find any preferences for it...

Either install Tab Clicking Options or use miniT+ (the second install link).

I noticed that you keep a stash of old extensions on your website. Do you know if Samir does the same? It would be nice to be able to get to old versions of MiniT+.

FYI, I reference this post because I prefer MiniT+ and the ability to double-click - not really related to my question, I know!
~ Zepfanman.com - When you can't find it on Google. (Running FF 2/WinXP)
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

i still got all the version of minit+ i ever made :D
Just not online, give me a version number and i will upload the xpi
RockOfVictory

Post by RockOfVictory »

sboulema wrote:i still got all the version of minit+ i ever made :D
Just not online, give me a version number and i will upload the xpi

Oh, thanks for your quick reply; I didn't realize you were in the forums (you're obviously a heavy poster, too!). I don't need one right now, I was just wondering if you had a site where I could access the archives if I wanted to for whatever reason. Now I know that I need to contact you directly if I need an old version.
Last edited by RockOfVictory on March 9th, 2005, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

I've recently updated to miniT+ 20050216.1, and I noticed two JavaScript Console errors in it that I didn't notice before ("javascript.options.showInConsole" must be set to "true" to see them). They do not appear to be causing any problems - They are only taking up space in the JavaScript Console window. I have noticed these both in my current profile, and in a new profile.

The first one seems to be caused by clicking on a tab, and will appear once per click:

JavaScript Console wrote:Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getBoolPref]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://minit/content/flst.js :: anonymous :: line 161" data: no]
Source File: chrome://minit/content/flst.js
Line: 161

if(!flst.prefb.getBoolPref("flip"))

There is another JavaScript Console error I have noticed, but unlike the first one, this one appears in both miniT+ and miniT (same version, and was installed after uninstalling miniT+). It occurs only once, on startup:

JavaScript Console wrote:Error: menu is not defined
Line: 44

if(menu)

Just letting you know about these things :)
Firefox (most recent stable version) - Windows 2K Pro SP4 / XP Pro SP2
Where is this red diamond/dot coming from? (Bug 272534)
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

grab the new version:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161

Both errors fixed :)
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

I've just upgraded to miniT+ 20050216.2, and I see that both of those errors are fixed now - That was fast!

Thank you very much for fixing this, sboulema :D
dorando

Post by dorando »

thenightfly42 wrote:Is miniT 20050216 working for everyone with Firefox 1.0.1?
Try to disable other extensions and look if the error persists.

Peter(6) wrote:The latest MiniT drag&indicator (and many other tabrelated extensions) cause Firefox 1.0+ (build after 20050307 07PST) to crash.
I filed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=285244 for it containing crashdetails
Yeah, that was fun but now it's gone.

Wolfey wrote:There is another JavaScript Console error I have noticed, but unlike the first one, this one appears in both miniT+ and miniT (same version, and was installed after uninstalling miniT+). It occurs only once, on startup:

JavaScript Console wrote:Error: menu is not defined
Line: 44
Strange, that would mean that miniT+ did not uninstall correctly as there is no flst.js in miniT.
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

dorando wrote:Strange, that would mean that miniT+ did not uninstall correctly as there is no flst.js in miniT.

I just cleared out the new profile I used for testing this, set "javascript.options.showInConsole" to "true", reinstalled miniT, and noticed that the error doesn't show up anymore...So that error was in miniT+, not miniT - My mistake :oops:
steve1000

MiniT+20050216.3 since Firefox 1.0.1 open tab next jumps

Post by steve1000 »

MiniT+20050216.3 (i.e., the SBoulema version). Extension options ticked are: tab scrolling, drag indicator (doubleclicking opens new tab), open tab next to current, change tab opening order, always open bookmarks in new tabs (closing a tab changes focus to Last focused tab).

All was working correctly until I upgraded to Firefox 1.0.1 and then a new tab-jump behaviour started(described below). But MiniT+ does still work; it is just that the tab opening order now jumps. This happens on both my PCs.

Say I have a tab-window focused by clicking on a "start" tab. And I can readily open new tabs since I have an Extension Mirror RSS feed readily available in the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder...I use this every morning as I check out the new Firefox and Thunderbird extensions.

If in the "start" tab, I click a first Extension Mirror link, it correctly opens in the next tab right. But then, if I click an another Extension Mirror link, it jumps the next tab right and opens in the next tab right plus one. And from then on, if I click an another Extension Mirror link it jumps the next tab right and opens in the next tab right plus one...so the Extension Mirror links open in in a pattern that is every second tab. This happens until there are no more tabs right to jump. When the current tab is rightmost, new tabs then open next right.