Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Besides, THOSE extension have probably either changed or will change soon to adapt to the new tab use in Firefox.

Time for a new thread.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

Go for it, sasquatch. I've been thinking about suggesting this myself for awhile. It would be much more useful to have a slimmed down discussion.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

PLEASE CONTINUE (RESTART) THIS THREAD HERE:

Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Could a moderator please lock this thread? Thanks.
mercees

Post by mercees »

I have no idea what this is all about. Do I have to go through something I have no idea where these things are to stop the firefox from blocking popups which is a email link, or a link that is in this forum that is impossible for me to click. Because firefox considers it a popup window that I already have a popub blocker on my computer for real popups.

Where can I find the window above and what is that suppose to do. This is so difficult. I went to tools and unchecked popups. Why I have to go through this that is not understandable as to where all this TBE is and whether I know what I am doing or not. There are a lot of unsavvy computer people that are having problems with not being able to click on a link or read a simple email and there is no place to get the help neede no one to contact because their websites are so difficult to communicate.

This stinks.
Detox Daily for a Health Life
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

:locked: :locked: :locked:

Please?
joeyschmoey

Post by joeyschmoey »

Thank you for this forum on extensions to replace TBE in Firefox. TBE's feature set is definitely worth the performance hit it incurred, which was never really noticeable for me.

I have a couple of TBE features that I think weren't covered on your list and haven't been replaced yet. They are very minor features, I think, but I really liked them.

1. The ability to prevent the last open tab from closing. TBE had a feature where if there is only one tab open, it cannot be closed (even with "Close All Tabs"). This allows me to configure the browser in such a way that it forces the tab bar to always be present and to always have at least one tab. It keeps the GUI consistent, which I like.

Browser tweak: Set browser.tabs.extensions.last_tab_closing to 2 in about.config.

2. The ability to remove the "Close Tab" button that appears at the right end of the tab bar. I prefer each tab to have its own "Close Tab" X which makes the X at the end of the tab bar redundant. It's been suggested that the X in the tab bar is better suited to mean "Close All Tabs" rather than "Close Tab".

BTW, I installed Tabbrowser Extensions in Firefox 1.0PR and it seems to work fine. I got the extension from http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_ta ... ns.html.en

Thanks.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Could a moderator please lock this thread? Thanks.
jettrue

Post by jettrue »

The one thing I desperately miss is the tab loading progress meter. I'm on dial-up & it really is useful to see when you can go back to the tab that's finished loading, &/or start your next download.

I just downloaded the noia firefox theme, and noticed that it does the progres, with a little animated doo hickey on the tabs...so when you're loading tabs you can see when they're done...just a little tip. ;-)

Another TBE feature I 'sort of' duplicated, is scrollable tabs, with the all in one mouse gestures extension. Doesn't work just like TBE, but you can right click an middle scroll through all the tabs... nifty.
Ebookslist

Post by Ebookslist »

TychoQuad
it is fun?
Ebooks Free download 3000 titles - Prentice Rapid Application Development With Mozilla

http://www.ebookslist.org
Legbiter

Post by Legbiter »

joeyschmoey wrote:Thank you for this forum on extensions to replace TBE in Firefox. TBE's feature set is definitely worth the performance hit it incurred, which was never really noticeable for me.

I have a couple of TBE features that I think weren't covered on your list and haven't been replaced yet. They are very minor features, I think, but I really liked them.

1. The ability to prevent the last open tab from closing. TBE had a feature where if there is only one tab open, it cannot be closed (even with "Close All Tabs"). This allows me to configure the browser in such a way that it forces the tab bar to always be present and to always have at least one tab. It keeps the GUI consistent, which I like.

Browser tweak: Set browser.tabs.extensions.last_tab_closing to 2 in about.config.

2. The ability to remove the "Close Tab" button that appears at the right end of the tab bar. I prefer each tab to have its own "Close Tab" X which makes the X at the end of the tab bar redundant. It's been suggested that the X in the tab bar is better suited to mean "Close All Tabs" rather than "Close Tab".

BTW, I installed Tabbrowser Extensions in Firefox 1.0PR and it seems to work fine. I got the extension from http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_ta ... ns.html.en

Thanks.

Why don't you just use "Middle Click" to close individual tabs? That way you don't even have to be accurate enough to hit an "X"....
As for the Tab Bar "X", what's your beef with that? I mean it doesn't take up much room, so unless the code is obstructive (to ongoing development) I really can't see the issue.
I allow myself one stupid question per day
(So far I'm only 2,045,097 days over budget).
nezvanova11

Bye Bye TBE

Post by nezvanova11 »

Rest in peace TBE (http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/)!
You were the greatest extension of all; while you were still alive!
I had a love affair with you for about three years but I knew if would not last forever!
TabMixPlus (http://tmp.garyr.net/) has replaced you in my system but I will never forget you TBE.
And thank you Piro Sakura for your visions on how to make FireFox better even before anyone else contemplated some of your great ideas!

RIP
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

I wondered just the other day what happened to TBE. It was funny that just a few years ago, all questions on the forums had one answer: TBE.

*shrug*
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
loopdemack

Post by loopdemack »

I cant convalesced TBE, I tried but I cant, I tried all other but they are no match for TBE.
TBE had perfect colouring, perfect group colouring, it had group moving, group closing, changing group color, bookmarking the group...o my god I must stop because this hurt, so much.

Piro damn you, you opened my eyes with the TBE and now you blinded me, why did you leave us.

Piro return the TBE to the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LoudNoise

Re: Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Post by LoudNoise »

priselia--
Your question was off topic. Continue here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1268555
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."