Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
clav

Post by clav »

Moonwolf wrote:For anyone who's interested, I've altered Tab X to give close buttons identical to the tab bar's close button.
XPI installer (Untested, but I doubt I broke it)
JAR file (Replace the current jar in your chrome folder)
Basically I stole the method TBE uses to describe the close button. Bear in mind that this is the first time I've done anything like this, but it works for me!

the tabclass attribute you added to the toolbarbutton is most likely unnecessary; it's the class of tabs-closebutton that matters.

i didn't do this in the original Tab X because i think the default theme's Close Tab button is too large to show on individual tabs.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

tksh wrote:On a side note, I don't suppose there's an alternative extension that handles undo closing of tabs?

Nope, That's practically the last extension I would require to completely fill my replacement list too :)

I'm quite happy with the way my Firefox runs now, but that feature would be the icing on the cake. (Cross session downloads would be having my cake, and eating it too :) )
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

clav wrote:the tabclass attribute you added to the toolbarbutton is most likely unnecessary; it's the class of tabs-closebutton that matters.

Quite right, I've updated it. Thanks. And thanks for creating an extension I could actually understand enough to modify it :)

XPI installer Now 2,280 bytes.
JAR file (Replace the current jar in your chrome folder) 1,517 bytes.

i didn't do this in the original Tab X because i think the default theme's Close Tab button is too large to show on individual tabs.

I rather like chunky tabs :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Final update to my edited version of clav's Tab X extension:
There are now 2 versions: one which simply uses a tab bar close button in each tab; and another which also removes the padding above and below the button and text on the tab, to make it much smaller.
Get them both here.
Note that themes and userChrome.css rules can override my tab height adjustment.
Last edited by Moonwolf on February 10th, 2004, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis »

gorgias it fixed the problem thanks.
vivarey

Post by vivarey »

Great thread... lots of good info. The only thing missing is a way for the browser to open links from external apps in new tabs (instead of new windows). Any thoughts?
idotherock

Post by idotherock »

Great thread!

It would be really cool if someone made an extension to close tabs by double-clicking on them. I have a feeling not many people use that option in TBE, but it's the main reason I install it. Maybe it could be added as an option to Tab X? :)

Rob
Eisprinz

Post by Eisprinz »

idotherock wrote:It would be really cool if someone made an extension to close tabs by double-clicking on them. I have a feeling not many people use that option in TBE, but it's the main reason I install it. Maybe it could be added as an option to Tab X? :)

That's a notion I absolutely have to second. I find this behaviour by far superior to a close button in every tab, since the close button is "harder to hit". Actually, I've gotten so used to this, I try closing tabs in every program with a doubleclick :)

Thorsten
XP SP2, Athlon TB 1200, 256MB
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040922 Firefox/0.10
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Does middle clicking on a tab close it via browser defaults?
Eisprinz

Post by Eisprinz »

Paradox52525 wrote:Does middle clicking on a tab close it via browser defaults?

Good question. I have no idea. For me middle-click duplicates the tab, but I'm pretty certain that's not the default behaviour.
XP SP2, Athlon TB 1200, 256MB
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040922 Firefox/0.10
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Heh oops, I actually meant to phrase that "Doesn't middle clicking on a tab close it via browser defaults." :-) I'm pretty sure that is the case, though I've been using TBE for so long I can't say for sure.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Yes, it must be the default, because it does it for me. There's no way I'd have changed it to that, because I tend to play with the scroll wheel while I'm reading something and accidental middle-clicks are not uncommon!
mai9

Post by mai9 »

Also, the extension miniT closes tabs with double-clicking iirc.
rue

Post by rue »

Hey- to those using it: does double-clicking to close an unfocused tab first focus it?
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

mai9 wrote:Also, the extension miniT closes tabs with double-clicking iirc.
Actually, miniT opens a new tab when double-clicking.

And rue, yes, I've tested the double click close with TBE and it does focus the tab first, no matter how fast I try to double click.