Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
djk

tabbrowser prefs just got this

Post by djk »

vivarey wrote:Great thread... lots of good info. The only thing missing is a way for the browser to open links from external apps in new tabs (instead of new windows). Any thoughts?

Tabbedbrowser Preferences (http://www.intraplanar.net/projects/tabprefs/) just got this functionality.
Also added the ability to handle external links (links clicked in other applications) to open them in a new tab instead of a new window.

I haven't tried it, but that sounds like what you want.

David
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

I have been using TBP for a few days now and I cannot get it to load links from external apps in a new tab. It always opens it in the current tab.

I've played with the settings and nothing works.
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

I think what you want is to go to about:config and change advanced.system.supportDDEExec to false.
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

Thanks chuonthis, it worked!!!
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
idotherock

Post by idotherock »

Eisprinz wrote:
idotherock wrote:It would be really cool if someone made an extension to close tabs by double-clicking on them. I have a feeling not many people use that option in TBE, but it's the main reason I install it. Maybe it could be added as an option to Tab X? :)

That's a notion I absolutely have to second. I find this behaviour by far superior to a close button in every tab, since the close button is "harder to hit". Actually, I've gotten so used to this, I try closing tabs in every program with a doubleclick :)

Thorsten

I agree. I find the close tab button hard to hit when I'm trying to click it, but seem to have fairly good luck hitting it accidentally. :(

Rob
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

That would conflict with miniT which has the feature of opening a new tab on double-click :P
ehume

Post by ehume »

Middle-clicking does close a tab by default. I haven't installed TBE with this build or with this profile, and middle-clicking closes the tab.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Moonwolf wrote:
TychoQuad wrote:
Moonwolf wrote:FLST breaks miniT's ability to drag and drop tabs, so it shouldn't be grouped with the others.

I (and others) don't experience this bug. Have you got TBX installed?

I've tracked it down. It's a 3-way incompatibility between miniT, FLST and Download Statusbar.
miniT and FLST is fine, miniT and Download Statusbar is fine. All 3 at once breaks drag and drop of tabs.

I can reproduce this if miniT is started directly after these.

This happens because of Bug 174320.

downbar and flst remove their onLoad handler and cause the next handler to be skipped. Since they are using capturing the remaining handler would then be called on the second event which miniT is watching, and since it doesn't use capturing it will be fully prevented.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

chuonthis wrote:
mai9 wrote:Also, the extension miniT closes tabs with double-clicking iirc.
Actually, miniT opens a new tab when double-clicking.

oops! :oops: :^o 8-[
IGAU

Re: tabbrowser prefs just got this

Post by IGAU »

djk wrote:
vivarey wrote:Great thread... lots of good info. The only thing missing is a way for the browser to open links from external apps in new tabs (instead of new windows). Any thoughts?

Tabbedbrowser Preferences (http://www.intraplanar.net/projects/tabprefs/) just got this functionality.

On topic request: AFAIK, I've seen no TBE alternatives that make external requests (i.e. from MSN Messenger, Emails etc) load in an *active* tab. I get a new tab fine with TBP and the DDE thing set appropriately, but it always loads in the background... am I missing something?
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Do you have "Browsing: Open links in the background" checked under Tools/Options/Advanced?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

AFAIK, there isn't a built-in pref for choosing which tabs get opened in the foreground and which get opened in the background. It's either all or nothing. Someone should write an extension for this.

Edit: Oh yeah, anyone wanna write an extension so that if I have the tabbar open (through the prefs to keep it open) with 1 tab left and I close the tab, it makes the tab blank?
rue

Post by rue »

Hey- I need testers -- it's a preliminary build for "Single Window Mode":
    Window-Q preview 1: <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/rue/Window-Q/windowq-01-dev.xpi">Installer</a>, and <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/rue/Window-Q/windowq.jar">jar-file</a>.
right-click / save the installer. mozdev is down.
rue

Post by rue »

ps: the <a href="http://www.madonna.com/madonna/indexHtml.html">site</a> I've been using to test.
assumes popups are suppressed.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

When I click on the Options button I get:
XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line number 8, column 1:
<dialog id="sessionsaverSettings"

But other than that, the site's window opens in a tab :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.