Post the extensions you want compatible with SeaMonkey

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
BenoitRen

Post the extensions you want compatible with SeaMonkey

Post by BenoitRen »

This thread will serve as the place where you can ask for a Firefox or Thunderbird extension to be made compatible with SeaMonkey. Either I or Philip Chee (if he wants) will then take a look at it to see what can be done.

Many extensions are already compatible, but just need the necessary files or modifications to let them install in SeaMonkey. That's the kind of task I'm able to do.

I'm not familiar with how extensions themselves work, so if the extension needs its coding modified, Philip Chee'll have to come to the rescue. Even then, though, if the extension relies on functions that have no equivalent in SeaMonkey, it probably can't be ported.

Essentially, we'll try, but results are not guaranteed. Don't let that stop you from suggesting an extension, though. :)

Oh yeah, please post a link to the extension's AMO or home page if possible.

If the extension installs, and is advertised to work with Mozilla/SeaMonkey, please complain to the author, as it's their responsibility.

List of past requests:
Add to Search Bar
AutoLogin
BackToTop
Bookmark Duplicate Detector
Bookmarks Full Titles
BugMeNot
Google Toolbar
CacheViewer
Customize Google
DerBrowserTimer
Download Embedded
Download Statusbar
EasySearch Personal ToolBar Version
FareCompare
FEBE
File Title
Fission
Flat Bookmark Editing
Forecastfox
Formfiller
Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer
GameFAQs Toolbar
Gmail Space
Infolister
Linkification
MAF
Mail Redirect
mailTagger
miniT Tabscroll
OpenSearchFox
Paste Email
Performancing
ProfilePassword for Firefox
QuickQuote
Reload Every
Restart Firefox
Sage
Save As Image
Split Browser
Sun Cult
Surfulater
Tab Effect
Text to Image
Tidy Browser Button
undoclosetab
Unhide Passwords
Videodownloader
View formatted source
View Source Chart
Webmail
Last edited by BenoitRen on March 7th, 2007, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
farFox

Post by farFox »

Last edited by farFox on April 15th, 2010, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
janrey

Post by janrey »

Google toolbar (does this already work for SeaMonkey?)
ForecastFox
FareCompare (not absolutely necessary but I like it)
BugMeNot - a must have
AdBlock

Thanks for taking the time to do this
h8uthemost

Re: Post the extensions you want compatible with SeaMonkey

Post by h8uthemost »

BenoitRen wrote:
Paste Email and Restart, suggested by h8uthemost.

Wow, thank you BenoitRen. I was just going to come and post a request, to see if it's possible to get these ported over.

Thank you
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Umm Benoit? Too bad this topic couldn't in some way get made a sticky? Or does it take a mod to do that? This is an excellent topic for such a sticky sticker! IMHO anyway. And a great idea too by the way!

If Phillip happens to see this, this question is for him: I use the Mheny sidebar extension (I may have spelt that wrong but it places, primarily in the emailer, the addressbooks, history, bookmarks, etc., in a sidebar---and the addressbooks in the browser's sidebar) and I was wondering if this extension is compatible with the Xsidebar (I think it is?) upon which you base so many of your extensions, or if you think the two will have conflicts? Eegads, that's terrible English. I hope you can understand what I'm asking as I have no other way of expressing it, not even in my language. -sigh- (I just awoke. sorry.)

Thanks for help in either regard! C'est vraiment une bonne idee Benoit!! Bien fait mon aminche! :)

Bonne Chance et Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

"Reload Every" !!!!! ( at least it does NOT work in the Linux version.)
Firefox 3.6x & Thunderbird 3.x - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS & Windows XP-SP3
(1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Progress report:

When I try to install Paste Email, I get a "Chrome registration failed." error. I'm stumped. Despite that, the extension registered itself properly, except for not registering an overlay for navigator.xul in overlays.rdf. Once I added that, the extension worked. Strange.

h8uthemost, could you post a link to the Restart extension? I found multiple ones that could have been the one you wanted on AMO.

SunCult installs fine, but doesn't seem to work well. It shows a window consisting of only a titlebar for its configuration. The Error Console shows:

Code: Select all

Warning: Event=popupshowing, use of preventBubble() is deprecated. Use W3C standard stopPropagation() instead.
Source File: chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul
Line: 0

Google toolbar: janrey, do you mean googlebar? If not, I can't find it.

ForecastFox: This extension used to work fine in SeaMonkey, though I've recently heared it doesn't anymore. It still advertises itself as compatible, though, so I'd complain to the author.

FareCompare = FareFirst?

BugMeNot installs fine, and is supported on Mozila 1.7b, so it should work in SeaMonkey. It doesn't?

Isn't AdBlock already compatible with SeaMonkey?
Umm Benoit? Too bad this topic couldn't in some way get made a sticky? Or does it take a mod to do that?

Yes, it takes a mod to do that.
lostnihilist

Post by lostnihilist »

janrey: adblockplus has all the functionality of adblock, and more, and works fine in seamonkey

I'd like to see "open tab relative." I believe this would take extensive work however
DerBaer

Post by DerBaer »

Thanks to You and Philip Chee for taking care of the lack of SeaMonkey compatible extensions.

I would like to see the following extensions for SeaMonkey (only if someone has the time and motivation to do that):

miniT Tabscroll

Fission
I disabled the status bar so I can't see the progress bar anymore. This extension combines address bar
and progress bar.
Does anyone know an extension that displays the progress bar in the tab label? I know TBE and TabMix(Plus?) are able
to do this. But TBE slows down SeaMonkey too much and TabMix isn't compatible.

undoclosetab

BackToTop
A Mozilla Suite compatible version of BackToTop exists but it's outdated and lacks some features.

ProfilePassword
ProfilePassword is insecure but sometimes it could be handy.
h8uthemost

Post by h8uthemost »

Restart Firefox

Here you go Benoit. I actually use to use the one that came integrated with Mr. Tech Local Install. But Restart doesn't show up in the File menu for Seamonkey, when I install Local Install.

But, this is the one that I used, before I found out about Mr. Tech. And thank you for trying the Paste Email extension.

Here's Form Filler. I've never used it, but I think it's about the samething. If you ever get time, and want to mess with it, then here it is.

Thank you so much for all your time and effort

EDIT: And is there anyway to make Negative Modern compatible to work in 1.0.6? I love using dark themes, and this is the only one I have found for Seamonkey. But it isn't compatible with my version.

Thank you. I need to learn porting, so I don't have to keep bugging you.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

threadBare wrote:Sun Cult                                                                     8-)
Sun Cult works. It even has a working install.js (missing the copying of the default preferences but this isn't fatal). The preference settings won't work unless you install xSidebar because Sun Cult uses the toolkit <prefwindow>. Earlier this week I was trying to see how I could submit a bug for the install.js issue on their sourceforge.net site but I got distracted.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

janrey wrote:Google toolbar (does this already work for SeaMonkey?)
ForecastFox
FareCompare (not absolutely necessary but I like it)
BugMeNot - a must have
AdBlock
1 .Google toolbar.

Which version? The official one is not open source and their EULA forbids reverse engineering. The mozdev version worked but that was ages ago and I haven't tried any of the recent versions.

Forecast Fox is working in my SeaMonkey 1.0.7. I understand that the latest versions broke on SeaMonkey. Since they officially support SM, you should contact them directly to fix the bustage.

2. Never heard of it.

3. BugMeNot. It was working for me when I was using it. I haven't used recent versions.

4. AdBlockPlus (Waldimir Palant's version) works fine in SeaMonkey last I looked. The original AdBlock looks DOA or at least it's wondering around like a zombie.

Phil
Old Jaisen

Post by Old Jaisen »

Well, I already asked Philip to port a bunch of the extensions over a while ago, to which he did. Was really great. I'm glad to see he has got some help now; its too bad I am incompetent... Anyway, there are a few extensions I would still like.

Customize Google:
http://www.customizegoogle.com
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/743/

AutoLogin 0.2
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=962

That is all for now. Cheers and keep up the great work guys.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Eyes-Only wrote:If Phillip happens to see this, this question is for him: I use the Mheny sidebar extension (I may have spelt that wrong but it places, primarily in the emailer, the addressbooks, history, bookmarks, etc., in a sidebar---and the addressbooks in the browser's sidebar) and I was wondering if this extension is compatible with the Xsidebar (I think it is?) upon which you base so many of your extensions, or if you think the two will have conflicts? Eegads, that's terrible English. I hope you can understand what I'm asking as I have no other way of expressing it, not even in my language. -sigh- (I just awoke. sorry.)
That's Mnenhy (The extension author's nick online is Mnyromyr - something tells me that Karsten doesn't like vowels).

Since I use Mnenhy extensively, I've made sure from the start that my xSidebar works seemlessly with Mnenhy. In fact it picks up the mailnews sidebar that Mnenhy creates in the main mailnews window and automatically converts it to an xSidebar sidebar.

Current release versions of Moji (Japanese dictionary lookup) have a buggy implementation of a sidebar for mailnews and thunderbird. xSidebar knows how to override this and make Moji use xSidebar's. I've contributed code to make Moji's sidebar work in SeaMonkey/mailnews and in Thunderbird. And their latest dev builds have this code. Actually after working with the Moji people I now have the basis of a basic xSidebar for Thundbird. Moji and I agree that it would be best to split the moji sidebar code into a separate extension for Thunderbird.

Currently the Moji (dev) sidebar code knows about the (Thunderbird) contacts sidebar extension and wops it on the head and while it's spinning around, swaps it's broken sidebar code for Moji's. You have no idea how funky the Thunderbird UI gets when two or more extensions start trying to implement their own sidebars (and clashing and breaking and stuff).

Phil
Last edited by Philip Chee on December 17th, 2006, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

emarkay wrote:"Reload Every" !!!!! ( at least it does NOT work in the Linux version.)
I have the older v0.6.1 installed on SeaMonkey/Win32 and it works. I actually have a working v2.0 mod on my hard disk but haven't bothered to release it since the old version was working so well. I'm uploading Reload Every 2.0 now and I'll post a link once the mirrors have synchronized.

Warning. Now a days you can drag and drop (and rearrange) tabs in both Firefox and SeaMonkey. But if you do RE will reload the right URL into the wrong tab (or is it the wrong URL into the right tab? I've never figured out which).

Phil