Post the extensions you want compatible with SeaMonkey

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Philip Chee

Re: Post the extensions you want compatible with SeaMonkey

Post by Philip Chee »

I've started a separate testing thread for my in-progress port of Zotero. Anyone know how to use Zotero here?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1959467&start=0
Philip Chee wrote:Hi!

I am in the process of porting Zotero to SeaMonkey 2.0 and now I need people to help test drive. I don't use Zotero myself but I am porting it at the request of SeaMonkey users. The experimental XPI can be found here:

http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/zotero-2.0.3-mod.xpi

Known problems: Typing into the notepad widget in the bottom panel doesn't work because any keystrokes trigger Find-As-You-Type preventing you from entering anything into the note. Workaround: toggle the following preference to false:
accessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart

Since I don't have a Zotero account, and more to the point, don't do any bibliographical research I have no idea how to test this.

Phil
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

@Philip Chee:
Even with acessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart set to false (which is what I use), you can still use FAYT when desired (except when focus is in an input area, but even if it is, you can click outside of it, or tab until it isn't), by hitting / (slash) to search in page text, or ' (apostrophe) to search only links. Once something is found, Ctrl+G goes to the next match or Ctrl+Shift+G goes to the previous match, in both cases with wrap-around from the bottom to the top of the page or vice-versa.
Best regards,
Tony
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I may have mentioned it previously but the author of Write Area was making his extension compatible with SeaMonkey, and the latest version appears to work in SeaMonkey.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/6147/

Version 0.9.1 July 8, 2010 468 KB

Works with:
* Firefox 3.5 - 4.0b1
* SeaMonkey 2.0 - 2.0.*
Add support for Seamonkey. If you have problems using it as a bottom pane, set the configuration to open the editor in a dialog.

Phil
iav

Post by iav »

Wah!!!
Very, very cool!
bandidoski

Post by bandidoski »

i would be nice to have a addon like load control to manage how to reload or stop it
therube

Post by therube »

Link: Load Control
And a similar sounding utility (& as I have been loading ~30 windows from session restore, who knows, could come in handy?): BarTab
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

therube wrote:Link: Load Control
And a similar sounding utility (& as I have been loading ~30 windows from session restore, who knows, could come in handy?): BarTab

I'll take a look, we may get lucky. However in general our tabbrowser implementation is still too different from Firefox. Recent work on trunk by Misak and others have significantly improved compatibility, at least at the API level. Unfortunately most significant tabbrowser extensions dig deep into the internals.

Bug 467867 (SMtabAPI) [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey.

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2010-07-27 -> Feature List, Planning -> 2.1

bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
  • Misak has ported major items. Follow up bugs and patches have either landed or are in process.
  • Already Fixed: getBrowserAtIndex(), getBrowserIndexForDocument(), loadTabs(), loadOneTab(), change addTab(), getIcon(), selectTabAtIndex(), web progress notifications for all tabs, progress Listener and Tab Progress Listener onLinkIconAvailable callback, Site icons places history and bookmarks.
  • TODO: bug 562649 set and correctly handle userTypedValue when loading external URIs. bug 570981 Remove URLBarSetURI's aValid parameter.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

For those people who don't like the changes in Stylish in versions 1.0x I've continued to maintain and update the 0.5.9 branch. I have now updated my mod to deal with the recent changes in Gecko 2.0.

http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#stylish

Install Stylish for Seamonkey 2.0 to 2.1a3+:
stylish-0.6.0-mod.xpi

Changelog
Since I've increased the minimum version to SeaMonkey 2.0 I've also taken the liberty to increase the version number to 0.6.0.

Changes in this mod since 0.5.9:
* Updated for Gecko 2.0 component registration changes.
* Increased the minVersion to SeaMonkey 2.0.
* Removed the install.js file.
* Incorporated changes from Stylish 0.5.9.10070201 made by Alice0755.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

1. Tabs Mix Plus for starters. Placing the 'tabs' at the top is inconvenient since all programs reside in the task bar and moving from the top to the bottom of the screen is a pain. Also, not having the red close 'X' is a negative.

2. Ability to add additional buttons to the pathetic Navigation bar;
FF, REW (both to allow going back or forward to the first or last URL in that tab), Author/User Mode, Show/Hide Images.

3. A 'Slide Show' option in the Navigation bar where one click on a 'Show' tab and all images on that page will show one at a time by clicking the 'next' button (just like a slide show), instead of click on one at a time and going back.

All the above is standard in Opera.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

@videobruce:
1. Tabs Mix Plus: Firefox's and SeaMonkey's tabbed browsers are still too different for this extension to be easily ported, it would amount to a full rewrite. The author is not interested, and Philip has already said it would be too much labour. All this has been mentioned several times, including in this very forum topic. However, there is work being done on the SeaMonkey trunk code to make its tabbrowser similar to Firefox's so that extensions may be ported more easily. Far from done, though. You may want to follow bug 558614 and the other bugs it blocks. Once everything is FIXED, try porting the extension yourself: loud mouth no hands don't get the job done. (Just kidding.) :P

2. Additional buttons: On SeaMonkey 2, toolbars are now customizable, just as in Firefox or Thunderbird, and the way to do it is the same: right-click any toolbar, then Customize; then move buttons about by drag and drop. You may want to make sure first that none of your toolbars are hidden. If the button you want is not available in the plain-vanilla Suite, look for an appropriate extension by searching https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/. There are many extensions which provide additional buttons, the only problem is to find one that fits you — or to write one yourself.
If you mean the "Site Navigation" toolbar, it is dependent on which <link> tags have been written as part of the <head> in the current page's HTML: I see Top, Up, First, Previous, Next, Last, Document, More, and RSS/Atom:Subscribe as possibilities, but it's up to whoever writes the page's HTML to provide the links. Works quite well for the pages I write myself and load via a file:/// URL.

3. Slide show: Not sure what you mean or how to provide it.
Best regards,
Tony
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Tabs Mix Plus:
I understand is a somewhat large add-on. I wouldn't expect all of that, but at least a option to place the tab bar at the bottom. I can't see why that would be so complicated. If not that, the ability to add or change a line in about:config similar to:
"browser.tabs.tablocation._______" (Some type of appropriate text.)

Additional buttons:
I'm referring to the "Navigation Toolbar" (the name SM calls it) just below the Menu Bar. Other than; Back, Forward, Stop, Reload & Print, the only other choices are (other than spaces or separators) 'Saved Passwords' & 'Home'. There are no other choices. :(

Slide Show;
See this attachment. SS basically does the same as one would click on the first image on the page-then click Back-click the next image-click Back etc. all without clicking Back. One click per image, just as a Slide Show would be. 1st is the Address Bar in a page with images. 2nd is the page with the 1st image (image was cropped off). Note the "Show" changes to "Next".;

Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

@videobruce: That toolbar (the one with the URL bar on it) can be customized in recent builds of SeaMonkey 2.0 and in all builds of SeaMonkey 2.1 the way Firefox and Thunderbird toolbars always could be. First, use View => Show/Hide to make sure nothing is hidden. Then, right-click (for instance) the Reload button, then "Customize". A popdown widget with all buttons not currently displayed on any toolbar will drop from the top of the tab bar (or, in some versions, it will be a popup in the middle of your current browser window). You may then move any buttons and separators any way you like by drag and drop between the toolbars, menubar, and the button reserve dropdown. When you're satisfied, click"Done" to close the dropdown and go back to normal operation.
Toolbars in other window types (e.g. in the 3-pane Mail/News window) can be customized the same way.
As I said, if you don't find the buttons you want, not even in that dropdown, you may search addons.mozilla.org for an extension which would provide them. There are many such extensions, but if you don't look for them you won't find them.
Best regards,
Tony
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Ok, here is what is avilable in Seamonkey;

Here is what is available in Opera;

and these;

Slight difference. :shock:
(BTW, these are only two of 12 categories.
Last edited by videobruce on August 4th, 2010, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

I will admit most of that is overkill, but SeaMonkey's lack of choices (and Firefox) is at the other end of the spectrum. :cry:

I did a search for "buttons" and it only turned up;
"Custom Buttons" which allows one to write code for additional buttons which is over my head and
"Monkey Menu" which isn't compatable with the current version of SM.

I tried a search for "Navigation buttons" and it came up blank.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

OK, here is what I see in SeaMonkey

Some of them are from extensions I got from AMO or from elsewhere, others are from "extensions" which are part of SeaMonkey nightly builds; and all buttons already on the toolbars must be regarded as part of that "customizable" set.

As for the Rewind, etc., buttons, I suspect that they are part of the Site Navigation toolbar (which you see here just below the bookmarks toolbar). In this snapshot it is all greyed out because the Mozillazine forums don't provide <link> tags, but on (for example) bugzilla.mozilla.org (while viewing a bug I found by a search) it looks better.

Edit: The list of my extensions can be found here.
Last edited by tonymec on August 4th, 2010, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Tony