Do extensions work in other browsers?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Jukilum

Do extensions work in other browsers?

Post by Jukilum »

Do XUL based firefox extensions work in any other browsers? If not, is there a way to make them compatible?

Post by Guest »

which other
Jukilum

Post by Jukilum »

IE and Safari, I am working on a toolbar for a website I go to frequantly and have been asked to make it work for those too.
flock

Post by flock »

Jukilum

Post by Jukilum »

I don't understand what that is doing

Post by Guest »

ignore the 11:58 post
it was in response to your initial post
now that you specify IE, ignore it entirely
Jukilum

Post by Jukilum »

Okay. Not just IE though, also safari.
FuturePast

Post by FuturePast »

Simple answer is no, they won't work with any non-mozilla based browser, and
there's no guarantee that any specific ffox extensions will work in any other mozilla browser.
old np

Post by old np »

More complicated answer is that any browser based on Gecko will support extensions to varying degrees. For example, Flock, Thunderbird, and Firefox all use "toolkit" and are extensible in the same way. SeaMonkey/Mozilla Suite currently use "XPFE" which also supports extensions, but in a different way. K-Meleon doesn't provide for overlays or a UI for extensions, but it can still be done.
Jukilum

Post by Jukilum »

darn
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Somebody managed to package the Mozilla ActiveX control as an IE plugin/BHO/whatever they are called. I guess this is somewhat the reverse of what the IETab extension does. Now if you can add some XULRunner bits to that control then you could add XULRunner extensions which will work as long as you are in "Mozilla Mode". Note: I'm just speculating wildly. I have no idea how difficult this will be.

Phil
Jukilum

Post by Jukilum »

Then it is probably possible. is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to change the code to work in IE or safari?
I'm also having trouble figuring out how to make a toolbar button open a link in a new tab if you middle click on it. I've been looking all over the place, but I still can't figure it out.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Jukilum wrote:Then it is probably possible. is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to change the code to work in IE or safari?
I'm afraid that you will have to totally reimplement what ever functionality you want to port. IE does not have a xul/xml like API. Perhaps XAML will be there one day but for the moment, you'll have to stick to writing ActiveX/BHOs in C++ or C# or NOT.NET.
Jukilum wrote:I'm also having trouble figuring out how to make a toolbar button open a link in a new tab if you middle click on it. I've been looking all over the place, but I still can't figure it out.
Which part? The detect middle click bit? or the open in new tab bit?

Phil
Jukilum

Post by Jukilum »

I'll clarify:

I usedthis tutorial to learn how to make toolbars, and now I've been trying to use xul planet for referance. It has been confusing however, and I can't figure out what kind of oncommand thing to attatch to the buttons, and I also need help with writing a function to go with it that tells it to open the link in a new tab if middle clicked, and in the current window if left clicked. thanks for your help, and sorry I didn't respond for a long time, I was on a trip to California.

Edit: Also, someone told me that safari uses HTML for extensions, is this true?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Jukilum wrote:It has been confusing however, and I can't figure out what kind of oncommand thing to attatch to the buttons, and I also need help with writing a function to go with it that tells it to open the link in a new tab if middle clicked, and in the current window if left clicked. thanks for your help, and sorry I didn't respond for a long time, I was on a trip to California.
use the onclick handler attribute on your toolbar e.g. onclick="myClickHandler(event);"; then in your handler function check event.button for which mouse button was clicked; then use the Firefox convenience functions openNewTabWith() and openNewWindowWith().
Jukilum wrote:Edit: Also, someone told me that safari uses HTML for extensions, is this true?
I have no idea. Probably AJAX/DHTML.

Phil