Firesomething 1.0.9

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

fairyliquidizer wrote:This Extension is rubbish.... my browser automatically changes name every time I download an update.....

Phoenix>>Firebird>> Firefox* >> Furcoat>> Friendlyfox >> Motzerella Foxybird

* marks the current position.

Do not use it then.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

The about screen needs its title changing also....
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
eviljeff

Post by eviljeff »

And the user-agent string needs to change:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040206 Superunicorn/0.8
wslnptc

Post by wslnptc »

The best extension ever!
In fact, the only extension I use at all. The one thing between this extension and perfection is automatic modification of the user-agent string. And of course, it would be nice with an option making all browser windows having the same name. That is, only a new name when the whole browser is restarted. Now, every new window gets a new name.

This is great... This time I'm using Mozilla Windlobster.
daka0007

Post by daka0007 »

Great extension! Any chance it will make it into the trunk?
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

Absolutely BRILLIANT. =)

VIVA la Mozilla SpaceHorse!

Although, I need to do some editing....I'm kinda partial to Mozilla ThunderBlump.
rue

In Four (4) Easy Steps

Post by rue »

1. Wait for Momokatte to post new extension.
    2. Buffoon-ishness ensues.
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!!!
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Re: About dialog
Yeah, I'll eventually change the title of that window. I'm not going to manipulate the logo or the copyright notice, though, because I don't want to break unofficial Firefox builds in the future.

Re: Unique window names
Having a new name generated for each window is easier, which is why that's how it works. I like having different names for each window, but I will look into making it optional.

Re: User-Agent string
Sure, whatever makes you happy. I'll probably get in even more trouble for it -- this time with the devs or the branding team or the evangelists -- but I'm used to that kind of thing. It'll be a preference, off by default.

Re: The Book of Mozilla - Extended Edition, 8:12
I'm trying to figure out how to register my excerpt as about:firesomething, but I'm having a terrible time deciphering the XPCOM documentation. Gonna have to bring in some help on that one.

Re: Profit
Still looking for an appropriate step #3. Despite well-supported theories on Slashdot that the fabled ??? stands for "Litigate", I have a feeling that there's just gotta be a better way. Like "Start a cult following with merchandise ties". Megatokyo seems to have a handle on that, ne?

Re: The extension is rubbish
I think you were trying to make a joke, so I'm not going to take it personally. I am, however, going to point out that you can use the extension to change the name back to Phoenix if you so desire. :)
c∂n

Post by c∂n »

Mozilla Flamebait ?
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Ok... installed firesomething and now everytime I look at the title bar a little joy comes into my heart... I like changes... Thanks!
..::XF::..
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Posting Firesomething 1.0.4 now. Here's what's new:

- Added hidden preference firesomething.samename to enable all browser windows to use the same generated name instead of a different name for each. Defaults to false. It'll be in the user interface when that gets added.

- Now changes the titlebar of the "About Firefox" dialog.

- Updated the default name lists (I've been doing this every release). Removed lame prefixes and animals, and added a bunch of new ones. Gerv wrote to suggest that I add "Sea" as a prefix so "Mozilla Seamonkey" has a chance of being generated, and I have done so. :mrgreen:

- No about:firesomething yet. Torisugari is an XPCOM champ and figured out how to register new about: pages, but it does require installing a JavaScript file in the Components directory and I don't think I want to do that just yet. I'll hold off until there's a way to do it at runtime from within an extension. However, I am packaging the XHTML file already which you'll be able to see at chrome://firesomething/content/about.xhtml .

Stuff I'll add in the future:
- User interface for preferences and name lists
- Preference to alter the User-Agent string
- Some easy way to generate a new name (menu item or keyboard shortcut)
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Firestorm... :)
intatia

Post by intatia »

Hrm... Is there a way to easily upgrade to a newer version without losing current modified strings?
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

intatia wrote:Hrm... Is there a way to easily upgrade to a newer version without losing current modified strings?

Yup, my extensions only set default preference strings if the preference does not already exist. If you upgrade to 1.0.4 you'll still have your settings from the previous version. Enjoy! :mrgreen:
lladnar1

Post by lladnar1 »

I gotta say this extension ROCKS!!!

Hats off to momokatte

One that I've added: FireGecko