Get File Size Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:I am not sure what you mean by "I also renamed userChrome.css many times to disable it," you should only have to rename it once.

Are you using a custom theme... perhaps that is moving your context menu. Perhaps trying the default theme if you aren't using it already... if you are it sounds like it is time for a new profile.

Ok, what I meant was that's how I got FF back to default, by simply renaming the userChrome.css file. Then, I'd put it back the correct name to enable it again. I did this several times in trying to figure out some things. I don't think I'm using any custom "Theme". The only mod's I made were to the userChrome.css file via the "Chrome edit" plugin extension.
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

At this point a new / second profile should be created and verified that it works... some info on creating a new / second profile:
<a href="http://kb-upgrade.mozillazine.org/index.php/Profile_Folder#How_do_I_create_a_new_profile.3F">How do I create a new profile</a>

You should then check if the context menu and the avatars on the forum can be viewed.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:It sounds like it is using UNIX line feeds... what ever the case I wouldn't worry about the userContent.css and userChrome.css until after the context menu is fixed and you are able to view images... neither file is required by Firefox for it or these features to work.

*edited to add* with all of the unknowns and with inherit functionality broken it is probably best to go with a new profile at the very least and possibly a clean install as well.

Remember, (if it makes any difference) I just can't see the avatar images at this forum. I can see all other images fine. ;)

Should I uninstall FF first, or just install 1.0PR over it? If uninstall, would it suffice to simply do that, or would it be better to run XP Pro's "System Restore"? I'd had to to the latter since I'd lose some things. I finally found v.9.3, so maybe I should install it. ? But, I haven't been able to find out if all the extensions I'm using will work in that earlier version. If so, then maybe this latest "stable" version would be the better choice. ?
Thanks for your replies.
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Regarding the avatars... I believe there is an option to turn them off in your profile... what ever the case, the context menu going off screen like you described is just plain bad and shouldn't happen unless something else is very wrong.

First try the new profile in the previous post and don't do a system restore... that is not necessary even if you start with a new install and new profile. All that has to be done is the copying of some files but extensions will have to be reinstalled. If the new profile still has the same problems then a clean install will probably be the best choice.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:Regarding the avatars... I believe there is an option to turn them off in your profile... what ever the case, the context menu going off screen like you described is just plain bad and shouldn't happen unless something else is very wrong.

First try the new profile in the previous post and don't do a system restore... that is not necessary even if you start with a new install and new profile. All that has to be done is the copying of some files but extensions will have to be reinstalled. If the new profile still has the same problems then a clean install will probably be the best choice.

Ok, I just created a new profile (test) and I NOW HAVE the right click on any image and "properties", so that's great. Now, to determine what happened to it. Still no right click a webpage and "properties" though. I'm going to setup this profile like my other one as far as layout and settings go and see if that changes anything. Then I'll add extensions one by one. So, is there a way to get the "properties" by right clicking any webpage?
Thanks for all your help. ;)
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

I forgot to mention I still have no avatars at this forum! So I need to find that area you mentioned. Remember, I DO have the avatars on IE, but I don't see them on FF.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Ok, I found out the avatar problem. I've been typing all this and reading all this on my main IE PC. FF is on another PC behind me. I was not logged in. I logged in on the other PC and can see them now. You can only see the avatars if you're logged in. :)
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Properties for web pages is page info in Firefox and can be found in the Tools menu... lots of discussion regarding that being moved there... etc. in the forums already. You should move some of the files from your old profile to your new one... bookmarks.html, cert8.db, cookies.txt, cookperm.txt, hostperm.1, 16,384 key3.db, secmod.db, signons.txt
If any are missing it isn't a problem.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:Properties for web pages is page info in Firefox and can be found in the Tools menu... lots of discussion regarding that being moved there... etc. in the forums already. You should move some of the files from your old profile to your new one... bookmarks.html, cert8.db, cookies.txt, cookperm.txt, hostperm.1, 16,384 key3.db, secmod.db, signons.txt
If any are missing it isn't a problem.

Thanks, yeah I see that now that it's called "page info". It's also on the right click menu. So that's great.

I discovered something else, and that's I can't see any "alt text" tags text in FF. I hope that's not normal either. ;) You know, when you hover over an image you see it's alt text tag.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

I forgot to mention that the window that pops up after clicking "properties" for an image is waaaaay too small. I repeatedly have to drag the corner out to read the image extension for example. I hope there is way to fix this so it will open in the same size LARGER window with every attempt.
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Alt text is actually for when an image can't be displayed and MS decided to display it as a tooltip even though the spec clearly states that title is suppose to be used for tooltips... there is an extension that allows the viewing of alt text but it will probably never behave that way by default since it is against the spec.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:Alt text is actually for when an image can't be displayed and MS decided to display it as a tooltip even though the spec clearly states that title is suppose to be used for tooltips... there is an extension that allows the viewing of alt text but it will probably never behave that way by default since it is against the spec.

Netscape supports image Alt text popups. I'll see if I can find the extension, thanks. I found it, it's called "Alt text popup", popupalt_en.xpi .
God Bless,
-Clint
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

for other people wanting that extension, you can get it here:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.ph ... =popup+alt
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Sorry, I didn't read all five pages of text but only the last two pages. Is there an updated version of Get File Size around? I want to use it for 1.0PR. Thank you.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

MaStAViC wrote:Sorry, I didn't read all five pages of text but only the last two pages. Is there an updated version of Get File Size around? I want to use it for 1.0PR. Thank you.

Yes, someone posted that above somewhere.
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=328
I don't know how the two downloads differ though. Maybe someone can answer that. I tried the first one and it works. But I don't get any "hover" info.
God Bless,
-Clint