Get File Size Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Well I tried them both and I don't see any difference between them. It says on the page "Show the filesize when hovering over a link", but that doesn't work. I get nothing on either one of them while hovering. I have to right click then "properties" to see the info. Does anyone know why? :omg:
God Bless,
-Clint
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Clint1 wrote:
MaStAViC wrote:Sorry, I didn't read all five pages of text but only the last two pages. Is there an updated version of Get File Size around? I want to use it for 1.0PR. Thank you.

Yes, someone posted that above somewhere.
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=328
I don't know how the two downloads differ though. Maybe someone can answer that. I tried the first one and it works. But I don't get any "hover" info.

Thanks! And the hover-over-link thing doesn't work for me either.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

The second one will also install one a 1.0 nbuild, where the first one will give an incompatible error...
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but the "hover info" is on the status bar @lower left of the browser window. So, this getfilesizestatusbar0_1.xpi works fine on 1.0PR, but it won't install on .9.3. It doesn't "complain", it appears to install, but it's not on the extension list and is not installing. I didn't see any mention it was specifically for v1.0PR.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Can anyone answer that please, why this won't work in .9.3? ;)
God Bless,
-Clint
sbc

Post by sbc »

Any chance that this will be updated (I'm sure a few use this) - would be good if it was on Mozilla Update.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

How can I use this extension on the last version of Firefox?

Thanks
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:How can I use this extension on the last version of Firefox?

Thanks
If no one answers you I may be able to help, just post it again. I'm just really busy now. ;) It involves changing the XPI acceptance version number within FF, do you know how to do that? This works with most XPI's, but not all.
God Bless,
-Clint
Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Clint1, are you sure that's all that needs to be done?
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Chris Wood wrote:Clint1, are you sure that's all that needs to be done?

Yeah, I don't recall it ever not working for me but I have heard that it may not work with ALL extensions that are too old. I don't have FF installed anymore so I can't give you the exact steps. It's been almost a year since I've messed with it. One method is (again, going from memory) is I THINK typing something like about:config in the address bar (is that right?) then you have to search for something else and I can't remember what. It is this that you search for that displays the extension version accepted by FF. I think in my cases if it showed "1.0" or maybe ".10" and I changed that to .9 and the extensions worked.

In rare cases when that did not work, you can unpack the xpi extension. (Again going from memory long ago), the xpi file is basically a zipped file with a different extension. Change .xpi to .zip and open it with Winzip. There's an "Install.rdf" file and open that in Notepad and you can scroll down to see the versions of FF it will support. If it shows something like .9, you can change that to 1.0 or whatever (to the FF version of what you're using). I can't remember if there is another file you also have to do that to. Then you close the file and save it, zip the files back up being sure to zip again with the .xpi extension, and it should work. I'm probably leaving out some steps here but I'm sure others here can give more details or the full steps.

There have been a few new versions of FF since I used it, so FAIK these methods may not even work anymore.
God Bless,
-Clint
Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Yep, that'll work, unless the extension really is incompatible.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

It's not incompatible from what I can tell. It's always worked since I installed it in all itterations of Firefox from 0.9 to 1.0+.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
sbc

Post by sbc »

For Deepark/Firefox 1.5, it is known as Extended Link Properties and is available at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... fox&id=798
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11
Duke D

Post by Duke D »

Would it be possible for the file size to show on the download screen you know the one that tells u if u want to save or open and such..?? Because I would really use this for when i install files that im not quite sure of the size, just wondering :P
brody

Post by brody »

I thought I would make you aware of what some may view as a security hole in both Get File Size and Extended Link Properties.

The following lines which obviously set the referer for the request will send local file specs as a referer:

Code: Select all

if(nsPreferences.getIntPref("network.http.sendRefererHeader",2) > 1)
    this.channel.setRequestHeader('Referer',referer, null);

To verify this, open your bookmarks file in the browser, and get the properties for a bookmark and look at the referer that was sent.

This is remedied easily enough by using the following in place of the above lines:

Code: Select all

if(nsiPreferences.getIntPref("network.http.sendRefererHeader",2) > 1 
    && referer.scheme.toUpperCase() != "FILE")
    this.channel.setRequestHeader('Referer',referer.spec, null);

So that the referer will not be sent for local files.