Get File Size Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

huh? Firefox already does the filesize and properities of an image.
Anyways, the extension is now called (according to 1.1.4 - File Size)
And it only displays the file size of a file that is hyper linked directly to (as far as I can tell.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:
Clint1 wrote:Could someone tell me please where I can get this for 1.0PR? I've tried 3 or 4 versions of this so far and none work. They "install", but the extension is not listed in the extensions list. Another version I tried said it wouldn't work with 1.0PR. I'm desperately hoping this will give the right click an image and get its dimensions and file size like IE does.
Thanks.
You can right click the image and select properties to get the dimensions and file size for images as long as they aren't background images... IE is also not able to get this info for background images.

*edited to add* You can also select View background image to view it in a new tab / window to get this info in the same manner afterwards for background images

Hello, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. :) Problem is, I don't have any right click and "Properties" for ANYTHING. :( I even added a /* #context-metadata /* "Properties" */ to the "IMAGES" area of the userChrome.css file and that did nothing. (Enabling that tag also did nothing for the right clicking of a webpage and "properties", and that's where the tag was originally in the userChrome.css file. Actually, it did do something, it made the userChrome file default back to the original settings BEFORE the css file was ever installed!) So, perhaps I'm missing a particular plugin extension for this function?
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

ieremiou wrote:huh? Firefox already does the filesize and properities of an image.
Anyways, the extension is now called (according to 1.1.4 - File Size)
And it only displays the file size of a file that is hyper linked directly to (as far as I can tell.)

Thanks, I guess I need that extension, but I tried to search for it and can't find it. What is its exact name please? If it works it sounds like it will only do half of what I need, since I also need to be able to get an image size, type, and dimensions that is NOT linked, just a plain image.
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

You need to go to the Extensions Mirror :-p
The exact link to the Get File Size extension is Get File Size 1.1.4

They already started repacking extensions because of the Oct 16 nightlies which are already bumped to Firefox 1.0. :P.

Question?
What extensions are you already using? If you can list them here.
Also what version of Firefox are you using?
You should Always have a Properties option. If you don't and have Menu Editor Try resetting the Context Menu.
Something might have gotten screwed up. (happens to me sometimes)
Last edited by ieremiou on October 17th, 2004, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

ieremiou wrote:You need to go to the Extensions Mirror :-p

Thank you for the info, that only appears to work on links, right? I'm looking for an extension where I can right click an image and get its properties.
God Bless,
-Clint
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

Ah.. I just right-clicked and clicked properties on my own Avatar and I got the information... Something sounds messed up on your browser.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Well, I installed it and it does nothing! I don't get any hover info on links or images. Right clicking is still the same too.

wig_out_on_me mentioned you can right click an image and get its properties, so I need to find out how that is accomplished.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

ieremiou wrote:You need to go to the Extensions Mirror :-p

They already started repacking extensions because of the Oct 16 nightlies which are already bumped to Firefox 1.0. :P.

Question?
What extensions are you already using? If you can list them here.
Also what version of Firefox are you using?
You should Always have a Properties option. If you don't and have Menu Editor Try resetting the Context Menu.
Something might have gotten screwed up. (happens to me sometimes)

I just now noticed you edited your post. I mentioned above I'm using 1.0PR. Sorry, I'm very new to FF and don't know how to "reset the context menu" nor what "Menu editor" is. ;) I'm using many dozens of extensions, too many to type, so if there's a list of them in some file somewhere, please LMK and I can just copy and paste their names into a post here.
Thanks. :)
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Code: Select all

/* #context-metadata /* "Properties" */
everything between a /* and a */ is a comment in css... it sounds like you have been modifying your userChrome.css which affects the user interface... userContent.css is for the web page content. Modifying the userChrome.css can remove menu items and without knowing css and how to properly format the css it would probably be best to rename those files until this is resolved for you. After renaming them to something along the lines of userChrome.css.bak and userContent.css.bak exit / restart Firefox and then navigate to the forums... then try right clicking an avatar (the forum has some background images where this won't work and an avatar is known to work) try it again.

*edited to add* to test whether or not an extension may be causing this you can start Firefox in -safe-mode and try the same test as outlined previously. Information on starting in -safe-mode can be found here:
<a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Safe_Mode_(Firefox)">Safe Mode</a>
Last edited by Robert S. on October 17th, 2004, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

ieremiou wrote:Ah.. I just right-clicked and clicked properties on my own Avatar and I got the information... Something sounds messed up on your browser.

I'll say! I just opened this page in FF, and there are no avitars! In IE, I see them. Images show OK on other webpages in FF, so I don't understand this. Any suggestions? Not only on that, but also this lack of "properties" issue. I never had any right click and "properties" for images nor blank areas of a webpage even before editing the userchrome.css file.
Thank you.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

wig_out_on_me wrote:

Code: Select all

/* #context-metadata /* "Properties" */
everything between a /* and a */ is a comment in css... it sounds like you have been modifying your userChrome.css which affects the user interface... userContent.css is for the web page content. Modifying the userChrome.css can remove menu items and without knowing css and how to properly format the css it would probably be best to rename those files until this is resolved for you. After renaming them to something along the lines of userChrome.css.bak and userContent.css.bak exit / restart Firefox and then navigate to the forums... then try right clicking an avatar (the forum has some background images where this won't work and an avatar is known to work) try it again.

*edited to add* to test whether or not an extension may be causing this you can start Firefox in -safe-mode and try the same test as outlined previously. Information on starting in -safe-mode can be found here:
<a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Safe_Mode_(Firefox)">Safe Mode</a>

Yep, I've been editing userChrome.css . Well, I started FF in safe mode and it didn't do anything different. All extensions are still loaded. I can right click things and see the extensions' options in the menu. So, it apparently loaded with all plugin extensions. Ok, now it worked this time, it now appears as default. Extension list is "grayed out". Still no right click and "properties" for ANYTHING.

I also renamed userChrome.css many times to disable it, and I still had no "properties". Plus when it's disabled, the right click menu goes way off the screen. That was the only way I could fix it going off the screen was to get the userChrome.css file installed.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

There's also still no Avitars at this forum.
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

I am not sure what you mean by "I also renamed userChrome.css many times to disable it," you should only have to rename it once.

Are you using a custom theme... perhaps that is moving your context menu. Perhaps trying the default theme if you aren't using it already... if you are it sounds like it is time for a new profile.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

I don't even have a userContent.css file in the "Chrome" folder. I found a "userContent-example.css" file in the "Defaults" folder though, and I opened it and at the top it said it goes in the "Chrome" folder! Something else odd; when I open the userChrome.css file in Notepad, it's all "squished up" together, you know, no .css formatting. However when I open the .css files in the "Defaults" folder in Notepad, they have the css formatting (as you see them in the "Chrome Edit" plugin)! Should I drag the userContent-example.css file into the "Chrome" folder and remove the "-example", or do that for the userChrome file for that matter?
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

It sounds like it is using UNIX line feeds... what ever the case I wouldn't worry about the userContent.css and userChrome.css until after the context menu is fixed and you are able to view images... neither file is required by Firefox for it or these features to work.

*edited to add* with all of the unknowns and with inherit functionality broken it is probably best to go with a new profile at the very least and possibly a clean install as well.